Osx mountain lion, reinstall

Son has a mac mini, older one which has a an HDD failure, unrecoverable, I've installed a new SSD in it, tried the reinstall via the recovery mode on the internet, trouble is, it starts then stops with the pop up box, 'can't install additional components', a look on the web shows it's not uncommon, tried a few of the suggestions, reduce ram size etc, been in touch with apple supports who just did all the things I'd already tried,  so it looks like I will have to get a copy of Mountain lion,  unless anyone can give any pointers,

Is your Mac behind a configured firewall that is blocking some outbound traffic or ports?

I've had this exact problem before when re-installing various Mac OS X versions from Lion up to High Sierra, and I only resolved it by connecting my Mac to the internet using a less restrictive connection, such as a typical home broadband Internet connection that allows all outbound traffic.

I connected via ethernet as that was one of the things suggested rather than wifi so I can't see that being an issue, one blog was saying that the digital certificate from apple as expired and never renewed, as it's an older OS,

IMHO - I think this might be the reason,

I as reading on some obscure apple forum "That Apple is no longer supporting their much older operating systems in any shape or form!".

But don't quote me on this....

Hi, I tried ensoftonic (normally avoid this as has virus in past) and it takes you to Apple Store to buy again! Try this site instead but be careful what you click on - downloading dmg now:

https://isoriver.com/mac-os-x-mountain-lion-10-8-iso/

Looking like a 10 hour download!

Edited by swarfendor437

Just an update, since this topic started, I've used the MacOS internet recovery feature to successfully restore two older Macs, running Lion (10.7) and Mountain Lion (10.8)

So it doesn't look like Apple are preventing you from restoring older hardware with obsolete and unsupported versions of MacOS just yet.

That's just reminded me that perhaps it could be a firewall or other issue related?