In Praise Of Mutton

I was undecided on what to eat yesterday and thought I'd browse the Moor Markey for inspiration. I finally spotted the Mutton, more expensive than goat, cheaper tham lamb.

My default recipe would be some sort of curry but I wasn't in the mood so decided on a classic Lancashire Hotpot instead. I used this recipe but tweaked the stock by pouring in some Theakstons Old Peculiar and some gravy granules.

About 30 mins prep and a leisurely 2 hour slow cooking and it was amazing. I'm definitely going to cook more Mutton in future.

Glad you enjoyed the mutton Taxman. I too bought some mutton from the Moor Market when  I came up to Sheffield to visit my family in January. My brother, who still lives in Sheffield, had bought it from there several times and thoroughly recommended it. I use goat mutton quite often, because it's easily available near where I live in London, but I haven't seen sheep mutton on sale anywhere  for many years. There was one stall, near Waterall's, selling mutton chops on the bone and another stall, a bit further down, selling diced mutton - so I bought a kilo of each! As you said, it's more expensive than goat, but cheaper and more robustly flavoured than lamb. 

I used the mutton chops to make a tasty mutton stew, with pearl barley and  dumplings and I used the diced mutton to make a huge curry - both of which turned out delicious. The mutton chops had a lot of fat on them though, which is great for flavour, but makes the stew a bit too fatty - so I cooked it the day before, refrigerated it when it had cooled, then took the layer of fat off before I re-heated it the next day. This fatty "lid" was about 2 inches thick when set, so I'll probably trim the chops a bit, before I cook with them in future

I used the diced mutton, which was much leaner, to make a proper curry.  I made my own curry paste by roasting and grinding whole spices, adding fresh ginger, fresh turmeric, fresh curry leaves, garlic, chillies and coriander  - and it was probably the nicest, tastiest curry I've ever made!

Why don't the supermarkets sell mutton? Is it a cultural thing? 

I enjoy making stuff with lamb but as a former veggie it does seem a bit unnecessary to be eating them. It would make more sense to eat the older animal instead.

Edited by Bilge

On 19/02/2020 at 21:40, Bilge said:

Why don't the supermarkets sell mutton? Is it a cultural thing? 

I enjoy making stuff with lamb but as a former veggie it does seem a bit unnecessary to be eating them. It would make more sense to eat the older animal instead.

I think it’s more of a fashion thing you couldn’t get Ox Tail in big supermarkets until Jamie Oliver etc started singing and dancing about it.