Door To Door Scam Or Burglary Scouting In S8

Just a quick heads up about a guy knocking on doors in the Heeley and Meersbrook area. Presents himself as a Mancunian living in Gleadless, says he's just out of prison and can't get a job so he's selling cleaning products door to door. Nothing about him remotely trustworthy, keep an eye out.

Average height and build, cropped dark hair, Manchester accent, green jacket and black holdall. All the hallmarks of a scam/distraction burglar or even scouting likely properties for a burglary spree. Something very similar happened in the area about a year ago.

Let the police know too. 

Good - I always say people grumble about teh police but if they don't know what is going on then they can't help with things😊

Had the same story years ago. Banking on you feeling sorry for him (which I did). Bought some cloths that fell apart first use.

Get them about twice a year , It is not a scam and they are the ones being exploited . The stuff they sell is overpriced rubbish  

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, lobster said:

The stuff they sell is overpriced rubbish  

So in other words, it's a scam.

We get quite a few come knocking our door.  It's always the same story, "young offender" or "ex-prisoner"  trying to start over again and make a few honest bob.  Offering household wares from a holdall.  I got one of those little cards that says, "we don't buy or sell at the door", but still they come!  Short of digging a moat and filling it with crocodiles I don't know how to stop them.

I read something a while ago which said that this was a national scam and quite a big concern from the sounds of it.  So, I think anyone who feels sorry for them is taking a risk.  As someone has already said, the stuff they  sell is overpriced and poor quality anyhow - but even if it wasn't, why would you want to be lining the pockets of such people, or those that they work for? 

Best policy is just to say "no".  And your perfectly legitimate reason, (not that you need a reason, but some folks like to have one), is to just say, "we don't buy or sell anything at this door and please don't call again".  

4 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Best policy is just to say "no".  And your perfectly legitimate reason, (not that you need a reason, but some folks like to have one), is to just say, "we don't buy or sell anything at this door and please don't call again". 

Hmmm...the last time I tried this, I discovered two smashed plant pots on the path leading to my door!

By strange coincidence, the would-be-seller had disappeared from view...

I recently bought a sign for my front door from ebay for £4 it reads:-

no cold callers

no sales people

no canvassers

no religious groups

thank you

its on a rigid gold background and looks neat.

Also bought a sign which informs  visitors they are on cctv (which they are)

There are so many dishonest cheats around these days that sadly we need these to deter the wrong doers,as have most high street shops with shutter doors. Sadly its a sign of the times we are now in.