How Long Will The 3g Signal Be Available.

I have been looking for a basic phone for an elderly relative. Just something on payg  for very  occasional use only. Just to let me know his  train has been cancelled for example when we have arranged to meet up.

I understand the 3G signal is only available for a limited time. Anyone know how long is left ?

3G will always be available. If you are in a 4G (or 5G) area and the signal is poor or your phone is old it will connect using an older slower technology. There are many iterations of Connection Technology in use and if the latest will not connect, then it tries to establish on one of the previous ones.

You can often see this for yourself when on a train that does not have wi-fi

44 minutes ago, muddycoffee said:

If you are in a 4G (or 5G) area and the signal is poor or your phone is old it will connect using an older slower technology.

I have seen that happen on my 4g Android phone-3g displays at the top, of the screen. I think this is when it is a busy time. I say this because I notice the 3g display in the house. In the majority of time, 4G displays in the house.

It is good news then-that 3g is not going to be pulled anytime soon.

I will source a large button phone on 3g for him. That will suffice. Thanks.

21 hours ago, Janus said:

I have been looking for a basic phone for an elderly relative. Just something on payg  for very  occasional use only. Just to let me know his  train has been cancelled for example when we have arranged to meet up.

I understand the 3G signal is only available for a limited time. Anyone know how long is left ?

If by 'basic phone' you mean it will only be used tor phone calls and texts, not via an app (like WhatsApp, skype etc), and will not be used for any 'data' (internet access)  then 3G (or higher) is not a requirement.

Loads of devices still use 3G, I think smart meters and stuff do so it needs to stay unless we fancy replacing loads of kit.