Advice Gum Shield/ Mouth Guard

Some advice please. I appreciate that these are easily  available and to buy, eg Décathlon.  In peoples experience are mouth guards bought over the counter sufficient to do the job. Forty years ago I bought a mouth guard and had it fitted by a dentist in a professional manner. I'm still using it to this day, it's given me adequate protection.

My grandson aged 15 has just started boxing and has been told by his instructor he needs to get a mouth guard. He's entrusted me to sort this out.

Any suggestions advice please ? Obviously relevant to boxers, martial artists, rugby and ice hockey players.

Cheers

Edited by Ridgewalk

2 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Some advice please. I appreciate that these are easily  available and to buy, eg Décathlon.  In peoples experience are mouth guards bought over the counter sufficient to do the job. Forty years ago I bought a mouth guard and had it fitted by a dentist in a professional manner. I'm still using it to this day, it's given me adequate protection.

My grandson aged 15 has just started boxing and has been told by his instructor he needs to get a mouth guard. He's entrusted me to sort this out.

Any suggestions advice please ? Obviously relevant to boxers, martial artists, rugby and ice hockey players.

Cheers

Bought my mouth guard from decathlon and it’s still good today and I did Thai boxing 

1 hour ago, rudds1 said:

Bought my mouth guard from decathlon and it’s still good today and I did Thai boxing 

Does it fit straight in ? Are there different sizes ?

Cheers for thé reply

Edited by Ridgewalk

On 16 February 2020 at 12:41, Ridgewalk said:

Does it fit straight in ? Are there different sizes ?

Cheers for thé reply

Most mouth guards you'll need to put them in  boiled water for a short time to soften them you then bite down on them to get the right fit.

My partner works in a dental lab in Sheffield and has just advised that your grandson needs to follow in your footsteps.  He should go to a dentist and get properly fitted for one.   

Over the counter ones do not offer adequate protection, especially for boxing.  

17 hours ago, glasgowgal said:

My partner works in a dental lab in Sheffield and has just advised that your grandson needs to follow in your footsteps.  He should go to a dentist and get properly fitted for one.   

WoW thanks glasgowgal. I'll follow that advice, i half suspected this would be the case. Thanks to your partner.

17 hours ago, steve68 said:

Most mouth guards you'll need to put them in  boiled water for a short time to soften them you then bite down on them to get the right fit.

Thanks Steve 

On 17/02/2020 at 18:58, glasgowgal said:

100% 

On 16/02/2020 at 07:57, Ridgewalk said:

Cheers

I would always get measured for a gum shield. When my daughter was doing karate her instructor advised me to get her a good fitting one.