The Blades & European Football

On 16/02/2020 at 09:19, NERVY-OWL said:

Liverpool aren't and city up to a point but don't make out Arsenal, Man u or Tottenham have been great this season because they haven't, Tottenham seem to of gone backwards. That's not taking away from how well you've done, you deserve to be where you are though and this punishment could of guaranteed Europe if it's not overturned

Well the leagues composed of more than just Spurs Arsenal, Man Utd, perhaps the likes of Sheff Utd, Leicester and Wolves have just been better.  Just a possibility.

Oh and it's " seem to have gone....." not " seem to of gone..."

On 16/02/2020 at 12:51, Baron99 said:

I'm not counting my red & white chickens yet. 

As I understand it, City are intending to legally challenge the punishment, therefore this would suggest that everything will be suspended, pending the outcome of the legal challenge?  And how long will this take going through the courts? 

My guess is that City will be playing in Europe at least next season?  Plus the FA will be waiting to see what the court decision is before considering any points deduction from within the EPL?

While I'd welcome any opportunity to see the Blades playing in the Champions League, I'd rather we did it properly by continuing to climb the EPL. 

Me neither Baron

1 hour ago, Ridgewalk said:

Well the leagues composed of more than just Spurs Arsenal, Man Utd, perhaps the likes of Sheff Utd, Leicester and Wolves have just been better.  Just a possibility.

Yes it sounds bitter when someone suggests its the other teams being poor. In the matches I've seen United they play good attacking stuff, full backs get forward and create loads of chances. Wish Wednesday played like that instead of this slow stuff that sets us on the back foot from the off

I always said United's problems may start when trying to deal with all the big name/money players who come with the top half of the Premier. But then again Wilder wouldn't sign them if he didn't think they'd fit into the United way

6 hours ago, NERVY-OWL said:

I did say you are doing well and deserve to be where you are. Next season will be the test though, Europe too soon could upset that but we'll see

'Europe too soon could upset that......'

Yes of course it could but we've been hearing the prophets of doom for the past 3 and half years.

In league one we were taunted with the 'pub league' team.

In the Championship we were told that we wouldn't be able to cope as the Championship had changed in our 6 year absence. It was apparently up there with La Liga. (we might have got out earlier if not for Paul Coutts leg break, but as Blades we don't try and dwell on injury problems)

In the Premier league everyone predicted us to get relegated, some saying we would end up with a record low number of points, beating Derby County's record.

And now we have those who are giving us all the negatives of appearing in Europe.

It may not happen. But if it does then I have every confidence in Chris Wilder, his team and the players to prepare accordingly. They've met every challenge so far with flying colours. 

We have something very, very special happening down at the Lane. 

Edited by abbeyedges

Ok the likes of spurs etc have been amazing and if you do get into Europe you will smash it and still finish in the top 5 next season, is that better?

I'm not trying to down play your achievement this season,

I said you deserve to be where you are with the football your playing and Europe is a big possibility but it can come at a cost sometimes. Should you make sure you don't get in there just incase it messes up next season, of course not but it does put added pressure on the squad if there isn't enough depth. 

I've a sneaky feeling city will get it overturned or delayed until next season so I think it will still be as is with regards to euro spots

Edited by NERVY-OWL

1 hour ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Ok the likes of spurs etc have been amazing and if you do get into Europe you will smash it and still finish in the top 5 next season, is that better?

I said you deserve to be where you are with the football your playing and Europe is a big possibility but it can come at a cost sometimes. Should you make sure you don't get in there just incase it messes up next season, of course not but it does put added pressure on the squad if there isn't enough depth. 

I've a sneaky feeling city will get it overturned or delayed until next season so I think it will still be as is with regards to euro spots

What if Man City win the Champions League this year and unless they've changed the rules, don't the holders qualify automatically for the next year thus leaving one extra place open in the English Premier which could be the Blades ?

On 17/02/2020 at 01:08, staninoodle said:

Id say theres every chance,utd are in a great position and there destiny is in there own hands,be great to have european football back in sheffield,gives the whole city a boost,its been WAY too long since weve had something to celebrate in a city thats sports mad and way too long since weve had euro football in this city

I maybe an Owl,and wish it was us without a doubt,but Il be made up for my utd mates if they get there,its an incredible ride under wilder,rags to riches in such a very short space.

It's very decent and open minded of you to say that. I have some good wednesday mates but too many I detest so couldn't say the same if it was the other way around. 

I have been complimentary to wednesday though when they reached the PO final under Carlos and thought that was the moment when they were away from us. They played some good stuff that season and the PO semi was a cracker.  Couldn't believe what I saw at the PO final.  Maybe losing POs is a Sheffield thing 😒

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

What if Man City win the Champions League this year and unless they've changed the rules, don't the holders qualify automatically for the next year thus leaving one extra place open in the English Premier which could be the Blades ?

Not sure how that would work if they did. I suppose in theory there would be unless there is a maximum number from one nation although I can't see them being good enough to win it

14 hours ago, NERVY-OWL said:

I have to agree with redbig, one of your own, you do just come across as bitter, for example you congratulate United but then qualify it by saying “ but the leagues poor” ( paraphrasing), it’s the old time and tested adage of the bitter and frustrated. Perhaps you should just concentrate on your own club.

2 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

I have to agree with redbig, one of your own, you do just come across as bitter, for example you congratulate United but then qualify it by saying “ but the leagues poor” ( paraphrasing), it’s the old time and tested adage of the bitter and frustrated. Perhaps you should just concentrate on your own club.

That's upto you, no bitterness from me. I've no problem with where you are but I didn't know we weren't allowed to say the prem has been poor while blades can say the championship is the poorest it's been.

I'm allowed my opinion, if you think that's bitter then I'll not be loosing sleep. I'll say it again though you deserve to be where you are and no one can say you don't, you have beaten most of what's been put in front of you this season and I said at the start it wouldn't surprise me if you got in the top half.

For the record I never said the league was poor only the usual top 5 teams barring Liverpool have been poor compared to previous seasons

Edited by NERVY-OWL

Or is it that those who are not the usual "top 5" are more competitive than they have been so improving the overall quality of the competition?

2 hours ago, Vasquez Rich said:

Or is it that those who are not the usual "top 5" are more competitive than they have been so improving the overall quality of the competition?

Probably a bit of both to be fair. Leicester were nowhere near the top 4 last season, wolves have improved again but there's no getting away from the fact the usual ones in the top 4 mix have had a poor season but still a great season for the blades

Yesterdays results gives us a better chance of Europe next season.  We have to play 5 of the teams above us and all are winnable.  Onwards and upwards for the BLADES