The Blades & European Football

On 21/02/2020 at 08:18, NERVY-OWL said:

I did say you are doing well and deserve to be where you are. Next season will be the test though, Europe too soon could upset that but we'll see

Ah! the "second season" syndrome eh?  

I disagree that next season will be the big test.  The big test has been this season.  The reason I say that is, we came up with a team, still largely made up of players from the past 2 or 3 seasons, from the lower leagues.  And we came up without the benefit of over £100m behind us, which is what we will start next season with.  We came up with most players having little or no experience of playing at Premier League level.  And of course, we were everyone's favourite for relegation.  

Next season we'll be starting with a more experienced group of players, which we will add further quality players to.  We'll have more money behind us.  

You could argue that we won't "surprise" teams next season, as we'll be more of a known quantity.  But I'm not sure that's the case.  Teams have had plenty of opportunity this season to "suss us out" - and whilst they may have understood how we would set up against them, not many have been able to do much about it.  Add some further dimensions to that squad, in the form of new players who give us even more options to change the game up, and we effectively become even harder to beat, because we  become even more of a moving target.  

I just hope we get to see it live! 

3 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

I disagree that next season will be the big test.  The big test has been this season.  The reason I say that is, we came up with a team, still largely made up of players from the past 2 or 3 seasons, from the lower leagues.  And we came up without the benefit of over £100m behind us, which is what we will start next season with.  We came up with most players having little or no experience of playing at Premier League level.  And of course, we were everyone's favourite for relegation.  

Next season we'll be starting with a more experienced group of players, which we will add further quality players to.  We'll have more money behind us.  

You could argue that we won't "surprise" teams next season, as we'll be more of a known quantity.  But I'm not sure that's the case.  Teams have had plenty of opportunity this season to "suss us out" - and whilst they may have understood how we would set up against them, not many have been able to do much about it.  Add some further dimensions to that squad, in the form of new players who give us even more options to change the game up, and we effectively become even harder to beat, because we  become even more of a moving target.  

It's all a matter of opinion. Although first season isn't easy, the second can be as tough and then putting Europe in there makes it harder, there's been a few that have dropped in the season after getting into Europe but of course it's not the same for every team so who knows .

3 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

I agree. I can only see the Blades improving on this season.

4 hours ago, NERVY-OWL said:

It's all a matter of opinion. Although first season isn't easy, the second can be as tough and then putting Europe in there makes it harder, there's been a few that have dropped in the season after getting into Europe but of course it's not the same for every team so who knows .

yes I know what you mean.  I hope we have the "problem" of playing in Europe next season.  To me, that's about squad size and depth (and quality of course).  I've heard people say it's the extra games that take it out teams - but Premier League clubs only play 38 league games as opposed to Championship clubs with 46.   So I don't think it's a big deal tbh - I suppose the travelling midweek can put extra strain on the squad - but most places in Europe are 2 -3 hours max - so it's not like there's going to be jet lag involved.  

I think we can take inspiration from the likes of Wolves, Burnley, Bournemouth and several others who've consolidated at the top level and had no problems with the second season.   Wilder's got a consistent approach to it and I think we'll get even stronger.

All the talk of the second season in the Premiership for the Blades?  

Ever thought that most likely the lockdown will only be partial so we, & all the other supporters might still require to social distance? 

Impractical in any football ground?  Some of next season might be behind closed doors? 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

All the talk of the second season in the Premiership for the Blades?  

Ever thought that most likely the lockdown will only be partial so we, & all the other supporters might still require to social distance? 

Impractical in any football ground?  Some of next season might be behind closed doors? 

That's quite likely but financially we are in a good position

I have read this morning that our first season will produce £100 million compared to most Championship clubs getting £10 million    ALL SUFC staff have worked very hard to get where we are and we will continue to make the football world admire us UTB

Edited by barry-333
spelling

1 hour ago, barry-333 said:

That's quite likely but financially we are in a good position

I have read this morning that our first season will produce £100 million compared to most Championship clubs getting £10 million    ALL SUFC staff have worked very hard to get where we are and we will continue to make the football world admire us UTB

Well a decision has got to be made on this season before next & usually by now, we've already had the request to buy your season ticket for the new season.  I've not seen anything on the Blades' website yet? 

Presumably the Blades & other clubs are not only waiting to sort this season out but also waiting on Govt advice? 

If any of the new season has to be played behind closed doors, the prices of the season tickets will have to be adjusted but I'm guessing that the tv money will still be in place & all, behind closed door games will be televised? 

The tv companies will be rubbing their hands at all the extra revenue but surely some of this will passed on to the clubs who are missing out on fans?