External Hard Drive Not Seen By Pc

I have a Toshiba external hard drive with photos and MP3s  on it that I can,t access

I have not used it for at leased 2/3 years and don't remember if it had CD to load drivers    If anyone has any ideas would be grateful. Thanks

as long as it's powered, and plugged in to a working USB socket, it should work fine, and shouldn't require any drivers..

Does it have/need it's own external power supply?

Does it have any lights / are they on/flashing?

Can you hear it start-up and spin etc?

Are there any errors, or is it just not showing?

Of course anything connected to pc or laptop requires drivers... go to Toshiba support and download the latest

7 hours ago, musthavafag said:

Of course anything connected to pc or laptop requires drivers... go to Toshiba support and download the latest

Ignore this, 99.9% of external HDD's and USB Memory sticks don't require a driver, as they use the Windows Standard USB Storage driver etc....

If you're plugging it into a Windows PC, listen for the "bing bong" sound.

Also have a listen at the drive if you can hear it spinning up, and there are no clunks or clicks.

Then have a look in device manager or disk manager to see if its showing.

Try this.

With the Ext. hard  drive plugged in go  to Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Administrative Tools and open 'Computer Management'. Go to Storage>Disk Management and right click the  relevant disk and change drive letter.

Hope this helps

22 hours ago, sandbox said:

Try this.

With the Ext. hard  drive plugged in go  to Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Administrative Tools and open 'Computer Management'. Go to Storage>Disk Management and right click the  relevant disk and change drive letter.

Hope this helps

This is a good point, I have a WD 2TB portable that doesn't always obtain a drive letter in Windows. Easily fixed with the instructions above.

Another thing to watch out for is a broken USB board. This normally shows errors in the OS but the actual hard drive can be working OK, it just needs removing from the existing USB/Caddy and connecting direct to SATA or used on another (working) USB external case. 

Can you list the make and model? Knowing this might help people find a fix for you.