Battery Coming Back To Life-But For How Long.

A 5 year old laptop has been out of use for two years partly due to a dead (not charging) battery.

Today I re connected the charger and as before its working fine.

I am currently updating the software.

I appears to be recharging the battery-currently at 15%.

Is there anything I can do to help the battery recover? Or is it a lost cause?

Edit: Microsoft Surface API-Compliant Method Battery is updating has just started.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Even new batteries often only have a 6 month warranty, due to the chemical composition of batteries, they can degrade, and if not treat right they can fail after only a few months...

it might work after a rest, might charge - but it will discharge fast, and wont last too long....

15 hours ago, Ghozer said:

Even new batteries often only have a 6 month warranty, due to the chemical composition of batteries, they can degrade, and if not treat right they can fail after only a few months...

it might work after a rest, might charge - but it will discharge fast, and wont last too long....

So can you advise on the best way to treat a Laptop battery right please. ?  Thanks.

Don't leave it plugged in and charging while using it, once it's hit 100%, unplug it and discharge to around 30% before charging again.

If you need to run it on power for extended periods, remove the battery (if possible)

don't over-charge/leave 'full' and still charging (batteries do have protection against this, but it's still good practice regardless)

don't let the battery totally drain to 0% before charging again.

don't expose to sudden temperature changes.

don't shock/hit/bend etc the battery (common sense, but you know, even accidents can happen...) - picking up your laptop wrong (especially if is very thin) can cause a slight flex - and can some times cause problems for the battery or it's connection(s)

Anything else is your general common sense stuff (don't get it wet, don't use wrong chargers etc)

Thanks Ghozer,   Appreciate that.

Good extensive article here and includes advice for both Mac and Win users:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-care-for-your-laptops-battery/