Cambridge Hotel

I was researching the Cambridge Hotel today back in 1910. I had thought that it was on Cambridge Street, where the old Barleycorn used to be. However, I was looking through old newpapers on Find My Past and it says The Cambridge Hotel in Sheffield was on Penistone Road. Can someone put me straight please.

Grannypat 

Hi grannypat,

If you look on 'Picture Sheffield', there are pictures of both the Cambridge Street and Penistone Road 'Cambridge Hotel'.

The Cambridge on Penistone Road,  was as I remember a beerhouse,  also earlier used as the site for fairground  caravans.

used to go in the Cambridge Penistone road when big Brian had it he used to keep a good pint of Magnet bless him,so did Walt in the Masons regulars knew it as the Capel.

Barleycorn did change to the Cambridge i think in the late70s early 80s...... there's a photo of Teddy boys outside the Barleycorn this was taken mid 70s i think.... We went in once before it shut (possibly underage😉) and re-opend as Cambridge.

Brian Firth used to have Cambridge on penistone rd......one time we went in here bang on 7pm (opening time it was good friday and sunday hours)..........the place was packed, all were well oiled.

When i asked Brian how come....'weve had a pigeon fanciers meeting' 🤣🍺

🤣..........theyd all been locked in from 2pm

On 15/02/2020 at 17:13, Moirahyde said:

Hi grannypat,

If you look on 'Picture Sheffield', there are pictures of both the Cambridge Street and Penistone Road 'Cambridge Hotel'.

Thank you Moirahyde. That would seem to explain that.