Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

8 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Another win for Brexit!

No, remember the rules - if it's investing it's because of brexit, if it's leaving it's market forces and the emissions scandal.

If memory serves, it was a bit of both but I've a sneaking suspicion that because so many brexit voting old people buy Hondas they didn't dwell on the brexit bit.

9 hours ago, RJRB said:

I think you fail to recognise how the world has changed since your youth.

Globalisation has adversely affected our ability to compete in world markets .

We punched above our weight for many years,but the decision to abandon our place within a major trading bloc makes no sense at all.

We will not be well placed to impose our preferred trade conditions on our own .

By the way.

You do realise that Great Britain is just a geographical term and does not reference how wonderful we have been.

You do understand that economic globalisation has not happened randomly by chance due to any natural law of nature? The primary driver of globalisation has been the political decisions made by institutions such as the EU.  Political decisions that have decided if globalisation is forbidden, encouraged or eagerly embraced, and the EU has eagerly embraced globalisation. 

Globalisation has been the primary driver of all major EU legislation since the 1980s. Globalisation is the dog that wags the EU tail. Expecting the EU to do something against the adverse effects of globalisation demonstrates a deep misunderstanding of the purpose of the EU.

The EU exists to increase globalisation, not curtail it. 

Edited by Car Boot

4 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

You do understand that economic globalisation has not happened randomly by chance due to any natural law of nature? The primary driver of globalisation has been the political decisions made by institutions such as the EU.  Political decisions that have decided if globalisation is forbidden, encouraged or eagerly embraced, and the EU has eagerly embraced globalisation. 

Globalisation has been the primary driver of all major EU legislation since the 1980s. Globalisation is the dog that wags the EU tail. Expecting the EU to do something against the adverse effects of globalisation demonstrates a deep misunderstanding of the purpose of the EU.

So what economic (and political) changes have happened by a "natural law of nature"?

Globalisation isn't anything new - eg colonialism, empires etc - on which much of the UK's wealth was founded.

11 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/401/trade/what-caused-globalization/

Its not happened randomly any more than the the industrial revolution happened randomly,but it is an evolution that is not going away.

My ongoing belief is that we can participate more effectively by being a part f the EU trading block.

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

Its not happened randomly any more than the the industrial revolution happened randomly,but it is an evolution that is not going away.

My ongoing belief is that we can participate more effectively by being a part f the EU trading block.

How long does it take before the message registers? - We have left the EU trading block.

6 hours ago, RJRB said:

Thankfully, the electorate did not share the EU desire to enrich the corporations at the expense of the many and voted to Leave what is a prime mover of capitalist globalisation. As the EU views it's own internal diversity as a barrier to icreasing globalisation, we Left just in time before the next phase of globalisation begins. We have seen the soft power, economics. The next stage is hard power. 

The EU will soon have its army and military might...

Edited by Car Boot

13 hours ago, Gormenghast said:

Would you  be pleased to see the UK economy trashed from 2021 onwards?

I would be neither pleased, nor sad.

13 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

(...)

Perhaps you would care to explain why you are so interested in supporting the remain side of this discussion if it doesn't affect you?

No, I would not care to do that. But I'm quite happy to continue discussing how Brexit is working out.

Edited by L00b

8 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

How long does it take before the message registers? - We have left the EU trading block.

The thread is about the consequences of Brexit so 99% of it is speculative.

We have still to experience the ongoing reality as it turns out that it fails to deliver the vision that was swallowed by some of the electorate.

Unfortunately it will be the younger generation who will be the most adversely affected .

1 hour ago, L00b said:

No, I would not care to do that. But I'm quite happy to continue discussing how Brexit is working out.

I answered the questions you asked me.

If you don't want to do the same that's fine but you and I have nothing to discuss.

15 minutes ago, RJRB said:

The thread is about the consequences of Brexit so 99% of it is speculative.

We have still to experience the ongoing reality as it turns out that it fails to deliver the vision that was swallowed by some of the electorate.

Unfortunately it will be the younger generation who will be the most adversely affected .

Quite correct and I understand that  but their is no point in saying that the way to go is to stay in Europe after we have left.

I think that most leavers would agree with me that there is bound to be a short term loss but that the young will reap the benefit in years to come.

I truly believe that, in years to come, the younger citizens will not want to rejoin Europe even if the chance is presented because their financial behaviour is laughable

and because they will not let themselves be tied down by European plans to restrict trade and bind it down with ever more regulations.

Trade is the most important thing any nation undertakes but politicians are not happy unless they can put proviso's on everything.

If I want to buy a car and a French or German company wants to sell me one, then everybody is happy.

Get politicians involved and they will say that it's not about free will buying and selling - it's about using leverage and saying "You can't buy that car unless we can fish in your waters".

Edited by Organgrinder
left a word out

12 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Trade is the most important thing any nation undertakes but politicians are not happy unless they can put proviso's on everything.

If I want to buy a car and a French or German company wants to sell me one, then everybody is happy.

Get politicians involved and they will say that it's not about free will buying and selling - it's about using leverage and saying "You can't buy that car unless we can fish in your waters".

So few words to say something so utterly wrong. Impressive.

1 hour ago, L00b said:

If you have no feelings about the future of the Uk economy, why do you spend so much time telling us how awful it's going to be, and labelling everyone who voted to leave the EU as fools?

As RJRB says above, 99% of the comments are speculation. Why not wait and see?

Edited by Gormenghast
To add