The Christmas Logo Competition is back. See thread in Sheffield Discussions for details ×

Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Groose

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute.

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by Groose

Ah, would that be a Brexit-supporting MP frequently visiting the Continent with his pet, belatedly surprised to find out that he'll have to quarantine it when he returns to the UK, as a result of 'no deal'?

....I can't hear the million of tiny violins playing in the background, somehow...

Coincidentally and topically, our 'English-speaking' Patterdale got a new pet passport a few months ago, as the original British one had ran out of room for the worming treatment notes (1/trip, mandatory). What with Brexit and stuff...I got him a French one :D :lol:

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

<…>

That's nice isn't it.

I'll see your chlorinated chickens and ractopamined pork, and raise you this:

A government minister has criticised businesses for taking a "head in the sand approach" when preparing for post-Brexit trade.

Treasury and Cabinet Office Minister Lord Agnew said traders "really must engage in a more energetic way" to be ready for the end of the transition period on 31 December.

I mean, after 4 years of all this...

...I'm just in total awe at the Tories' chutzpah, here.

And <removed>  myself laughing. In equal measure :lol:

Edited by nikki-red
Masked swearing

6 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

In other news the government have successfully voted stopped a bid to ensure foreign food imports meet current standards.

Prue Leith fails to spot what she was actually voting for:

How daft do you have to be?

You couldn't make it up! :?

Anyone claiming that this government couldn’t organise a party in a  brewery should think again.

Alerted to the chaos that is about to engulf Dover and the M20, they have unveiled contingency plans to place portable toilets at the side of the road. So that truckers stuck in the tailbacks for the continent don’t have to wee into bottles.

I really wish I was making this up, but I’m not.

The UK must NOT agree to any common principles on state aid with the EU.

The UK has left the failing trading bloc. We are now a sovereign nation again and this will be recognised by Brussels.

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

The UK has left the failing trading bloc. We are now a sovereign nation again and this will be recognised by Brussels.

Didn't "Brussels" recognise the UK's sovereign decision to leave the EU back in March 2017, and the UK's de facto leaving in January 2020?

The UK doesn't have to agree anything, no more than "Brussels" has to: each of the EU27 is just as sovereign as the UK, and free to set negotiating red lines, both individual and pooled ones.

LPF (amongst which, these common principles on state aid) are such a pooled red line of the EU27.

Whereby no agreement by UK = no deal...which an increasing amount of continental politicians are now pushing for, worryingly*. 

Simples :|

* worryingly, for those who understand the consequences of no deal, irrespective of their debating 'side'. That excludes you, obviously.

Edited by L00b

3 hours ago, Car Boot said:

The UK has *already* signed up to state aid curbs in the Japan deal that are far more restrictive than anything the EU is asking for.

3 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Indeed it is, car parts and all! :hihi:

4 hours ago, Car Boot said:

There has obviously been lots of state aid during this COVID crisis, by the EU and UK. We have a Conservative Government who have a dislike of state aid, so I dont see why it would be a sticking point.

The use of state aid has been used in the argument against having a publically owned railway.