Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Groose

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute.

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by Groose

15 hours ago, retep said:

Or these fakes,

"Faulty fridges and tumble dryers are among the common household items causing more than 60 fires in UK homes every week."

https://news.sky.com/story/eight-house-fires-a-week-caused-by-faulty-white-goods-11250607#:~:text=Faulty fridges and tumble dryers,in a Hotpoint fridge-freezer.

All CE marked. let's hope it gets better with a Kite Mark.

Electrical items with heater elements that can gather fluff, are always going to be risky. Having worked in the motor industry all my life, I have witnessed numerous heat guns in bodyshops literally burst into flames for this reason. What makes you think it would be any different if these items sported a kite mark? You are just assuming, because of your hatred for the EU.  

19 hours ago, Pettytom said:

But CE markings are subject to regulation and enforcement. They can only be used if a product meets relevant criteria.

Essentially, there is no difference.

There is a clear difference. One is independently assessed, the other isn't.

I've prepared technical files for CE marking of industrial systems. They sit untouched and unreviewed by any independent assessor.

8 hours ago, Dardandec said:

Electrical items with heater elements that can gather fluff, are always going to be risky. Having worked in the motor industry all my life, I have witnessed numerous heat guns in bodyshops literally burst into flames for this reason. What makes you think it would be any different if these items sported a kite mark? You are just assuming, because of your hatred for the EU.  

Reasons explained by Bargepole 23.

On 18/09/2020 at 18:27, Litotes said:

I actually thought they were well articulated arguments.

Perhaps you could point out the errors as you are obviously better educated and informed?

Fundamentally wrong though since it confuses the micro and the macro. It's amazing that people still think that the EU and the UK do business together. I can't dismantle the arguments because they are  inappropriate bias led grandstanding rather than arguments. 

6 hours ago, Tony said:

Fundamentally wrong though since it confuses the micro and the macro. It's amazing that people still think that the EU and the UK do business together.

That would be the "each individual EU member" bit ;)

I can't dismantle the arguments because they are  inappropriate bias led grandstanding rather than arguments. 

Nah, that isn't the reason :thumbsup: :hihi:

Edited by Magilla

The EU regularly breaks international law and treaties. FACT.

3 hours ago, Car Boot said:

The EU regularly breaks international law and treaties. FACT.

Was the UK in the EU at the time?

Looks like the UK GPS replacement has hit the rocks:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/09/19/uk-reset-sat-nav-plans-scrapping-work-5bn-galileo-rival/

UK will scrap work on its current £5bn sovereign GPS plans, UKSA is facing Whitehall pressure to revive talks to join the EU's Galileo system.

I wonder what happened to that £400m :?

There's some irony, as an EU member it was the UK that was one of the main advocates for locking out 3rd countries from military use of the system...

...the thing the UK would want... as a 3rd country!

Edited by Magilla

17 hours ago, Magilla said:

That would be the "each individual EU member" bit ;)

Well not really, because the UK doesn't trade with "each individual EU member" either.  It's still a basic misunderstanding of essential principles of economics and business. The UK doesn't really trade with any other nation, bloc, constitution, business or consumer, because the UK is a country. The UK no more makes you trade with Tesco than at Asda. The same principle applies for business; people trade with who they want to trade with.

The UK does not trade, the EU does not trade, individual nations do not trade. It's not a matter of opinion or even pointless pedantry. Business A (UK based) trades Widgets with Business B (based wherever) because together they are a willing seller and buyer. The prevailing macro economic circumstances may or may not suit today's trade. Tomorrow it will be different when they are trading Wotsits. 

If Widgets more attractive in one place or another, and they actually available to buy, the supply moves around. It's trade 101. Price is elastic, as is demand. That elasticity depends on very many factors that go far beyond tariffs. For example, if consumers in Bigland like Wotsits from Otherland they will pay a premium until the elastic snaps. The same essential principles apply to governments who rely on votes from a largely mollified populace. If Wotsits aren't available because Bigland's government has dropped a clanger the populace gets antsy and kicks them out...

... I'll stop there, I'm not here to provide basic tuition that 15 year olds should know. Bored now. Get your biased response in while I really don't care. 

I suppose what I am trying to get at is don't be so desperate for your personal bias to be right that you end up hating everything around you. 2016 happened, ignore the political posturing, see the upsides and make the best of the life that's been handed out.

5 hours ago, Tony said:

Well not really, because the UK doesn't trade with "each individual EU member" either.  It's still a basic misunderstanding of essential principles of economics and business. The UK doesn't really trade with any other nation, bloc, constitution, business or consumer, because the UK is a country. The UK no more makes you trade with Tesco than at Asda. The same principle applies for business; people trade with who they want to trade with.

The UK does not trade, the EU does not trade, individual nations do not trade. It's not a matter of opinion or even pointless pedantry. Business A (UK based) trades Widgets with Business B (based wherever) because together they are a willing seller and buyer. The prevailing macro economic circumstances may or may not suit today's trade. Tomorrow it will be different when they are trading Wotsits. 

If Widgets more attractive in one place or another, and they actually available to buy, the supply moves around. It's trade 101. Price is elastic, as is demand. That elasticity depends on very many factors that go far beyond tariffs. For example, if consumers in Bigland like Wotsits from Otherland they will pay a premium until the elastic snaps. The same essential principles apply to governments who rely on votes from a largely mollified populace. If Wotsits aren't available because Bigland's government has dropped a clanger the populace gets antsy and kicks them out...

... I'll stop there, I'm not here to provide basic tuition that 15 year olds should know. Bored now. Get your biased response in while I really don't care. 

I suppose what I am trying to get at is don't be so desperate for your personal bias to be right that you end up hating everything around you. 2016 happened, ignore the political posturing, see the upsides and make the best of the life that's been handed out.

And the upsides are?

20 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

And the upsides are?

Blue passports.

Cheddar cheese.

Trade barriers to stop those pesky Germans selling cars.

And we get to threaten French fishermen with the Royal Navy.

What’s not to like?