Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute.

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by Vaati

Brexit is very much a middle class anxiety.

Working class people moved on from Brexit long ago.

4 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Wow. That is a hell of a generalisation to be making.  I'd like to see your evidence for that statement.

We can all play that kind of game.  If I wanted to make a sweeping unsubstantiated generalisation I could declare that the working class are too thick to understand brexit.   But I don't see the world as simple black and white like you do.  I know full well that is not the case.

I certainly don't believe it's "very much middle class who have anxiety about brexit". 

There will be a high number of working class people in London and the South East right now who will be very worried about Brexit.  Same in Scotland and Wales.  Same in Leeds and Manchester in fact anywhere where all the other 48% of the population who didn't want the thing in the first place reside.

There will be a hell of a lot of agricultural working class who are extremely worried right now about their jobs and livelihoods when their subsidies all go to pot.   There will be significant amount of working class haulage workers, travel and leisure workers, distribution workers, construction workers, contractors and administrators who, if they have any connection either through their employer, subcontractor or supply chain with a foreign jurisdiction, are all going to be affected by the changes that could come in January 2021 and will quite rightly have concern about that.

There are plenty of retiree working class who have have either holiday home, timeshare, caravans or residential property abroad who will also be affected by the changes and will have concerns over effects on their pension and healthcare, insurance and travel freedoms.  

On the flip side of your inaccurate sweeping statement I will put money that there are a lot of middle class, middle England, County set who could not give two hoots about brexit.  I'm alright Jack mentality can apply to any grade not just a single one.

Bringing class war into this is far too simplistic. It affects us all and whether you are terrified what's going to happen or elated - it covers the entire spectrum.  

4 hours ago, Car Boot said:

How can the working class move on from something that in terms of the economy and business (i.e their work), largely hasn't happened yet?

Like saying you're moving on from a car crash that'll happen next week :?  A daft statement.

In reality, they haven't moved on, quite the opposite:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/support-for-brexit-is-collapsing-poll/26/06/

Edited by Magilla

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

How can the working class move on from something that in terms of the economy and business (i.e their work), largely hasn't happened yet?

Like saying you're moving on from a car crash that'll happen next week :?  A daft statement.

In reality, they haven't moved on, quite the opposite:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/support-for-brexit-is-collapsing-poll/26/06/

To be honest I'm not surprised.

Having said that, I think, as Loob has suggested previously, that we do need to leave and find the grassy uplands are just a crappy desert.

Too many people in this country still think we are still an empire and think that just because we are British it makes us special. Times move on and we need to as well. Perhaps a bit of humble pie will do us good.

14 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Wow. That is a hell of a generalisation to be making.  I'd like to see your evidence for that statement.

We can all play that kind of game.  If I wanted to make a sweeping unsubstantiated generalisation I could declare that the working class are too thick to understand brexit.   But I don't see the world as simple black and white like you do.  I know full well that is not the case.

I certainly don't believe it's "very much middle class who have anxiety about brexit". 

There will be a high number of working class people in London and the South East right now who will be very worried about Brexit.  Same in Scotland and Wales.  Same in Leeds and Manchester in fact anywhere where all the other 48% of the population who didn't want the thing in the first place reside.

There will be a hell of a lot of agricultural working class who are extremely worried right now about their jobs and livelihoods when their subsidies all go to pot.   There will be significant amount of working class haulage workers, travel and leisure workers, distribution workers, construction workers, contractors and administrators who, if they have any connection either through their employer, subcontractor or supply chain with a foreign jurisdiction, are all going to be affected by the changes that could come in January 2021 and will quite rightly have concern about that.

There are plenty of retiree working class who have have either holiday home, timeshare, caravans or residential property abroad who will also be affected by the changes and will have concerns over effects on their pension and healthcare, insurance and travel freedoms.  

On the flip side of your inaccurate sweeping statement I will put money that there are a lot of middle class, middle England, County set who could not give two hoots about brexit.  I'm alright Jack mentality can apply to any grade not just a single one.

Bringing class war into this is far too simplistic. It affects us all and whether you are terrified what's going to happen or elated - it covers the entire spectrum.  

I'll add to that that there are vaste swathes of so-called "working class" hard line brexiters who are absolutely paranoid that their precious brexit is going to be stolen from them.  So much so that any challenging of the current government is seen by them purely as an anti-brexit move.

18 hours ago, Car Boot said:

If Brexit creates anxiety for anyone, it is for EU27 residents in the UK, UK residents in the EU27, the British business sector as a whole, and EU27 businesses with non-redundant commercial ties with the UK.

Because none of them knows yet, with any degree of certainty, how their daily lives shall be actually impacted by Brexit, over 4 years from the referendum and with 140-odd days to go now (and yet again, and still, a strong likelihood of a very hard Brexit maintaining that uncertainty beyond 1/1/21).

All they have to go by, still and in practical terms, are the EU's stakeholder notices (-which accessorily confirm what some of us Fear-projecting crystal ball-polishers, aka "experts", always predicted pre-Ref).

Class has nothing whatsoever to do with it. I'll venture many amongst these EU27inUK and UKinEU27 would qualify as "working class" themselves, indeed.

Social responsibilitiy does (-have a fair bit to do with it), to the extent that one-

(i) understands how unavoidable consequences will eventually impact the socio-economic well-being of everyone in the UK, and

(ii) is in a position to do something, anything about it.

As for "working class people moving on", presuming that you mean the British Ref voters in 2016: is that the contingent of pro-Leave WC people, or the contingent of pro-Remain (Rejoin nowadays) WC people, who is supposed to have 'moved on' long ago?

I'd like to think that the smart ones amongst them, on either side of that divide, and irrespective of any change of heart since 2016, haven't moved on, but are indeed busy preparing for it the best they can.

Edited by L00b

3 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

I'll add to that that there are vaste swathes of so-called "working class" hard line brexiters who are absolutely paranoid that their precious brexit is going to be stolen from them.  So much so that any challenging of the current government is seen by them purely as an anti-brexit move.

Chris Grey's latest blog article for Byline  is a very good piece on this topic, arguing that Faragists and assorted other Brexiters yearn for a return to the psychological comfort of their political victimhood in pre-Ref times.

The Brexit movement was always one of campaign and complaint, feeding on a sense of victimhood. It thrived on the idea of being the powerless ‘silent majority’, forbidden by the ‘PC elite’ from ‘saying what we really think’. Given such a mindset, winning the referendum was actually a disaster for them because, from then on, they were in charge and their policy has defined British politics.

Ever since then, they have sought to regain the comfort zone of victimhood. Their driving force is not, as it might seem, the constant fear of betrayal but the constant need and desire to be betrayed.

Edited by L00b

8 hours ago, L00b said:

Chris Grey's latest blog article for Byline  is a very good piece on this topic, arguing that Faragists and assorted other Brexiters yearn for a return to the psychological comfort of their political victimhood in pre-Ref times.

Thanks for the link, a good read :)

Edited by Magilla

On 13/08/2020 at 19:03, Car Boot said:

I think you're getting your Marxism in a twist.

Do the "middle class" own the means of production or are they as much wage slaves as the "working class". Your description of "working class" is usually more lumpen than proletariat.

On 14/08/2020 at 15:08, Magilla said:

Thanks for the link, a good read :)

Yep.  Thanks Loob.  Nice to read things which agree with me 😁.

4 hours ago, Magilla said:

Brexit trade talks set to stall again over British truckers’ EU access:

https://www.ft.com/content/a28f2708-0db9-4e82-8ed5-45c8b22df4f4

"Brussels warns that UK demands on haulage are too close to single-market rights"

Seems to be behind a paywall but let me guess, the UK wants it's cake and eat it?