Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

43 minutes ago, West 77 said:

UK exports to the EU have increased in the last 16 months. 

Have they?

https://www.export.org.uk/news/610245/UK-exports-to-EU-fall-to-lowest-recorded-level-as-imports-rise-according-to-trade-data.htm

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjr8Lf4r-r6AhVGsO0KHcv6C-QYABAAGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASJeRohag2nyd1bXsrg1mYfGcBnCC-yxL3KSmTndZV1jycMBHGJGg&sig=AOD64_0-TLSd0ArvmIaiylsCYif775_LIA&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwiR5bD4r-r6AhUXbsAKHSYlBK0Q0Qx6BAgHEAE

Would that increase be from where they were, or from where they dropped to following Brexit? In other words are we now in a better trading position than we were before Brexit?

7 minutes ago, m williamson said:

weird cos i did a google and found the following

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/bulletins/uktrade/july2022

although i did also think is a rise because of a slump previously? or is a rise from pre brexit? 

anyway one seems to be from the EU, and one from our Government, so if anybody fancies comparing both and posting their findings feel free.

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, L00b said:

I drove through when we were over earlier this year (Easter…or was it Jubilee…can’t remember), we still get together with the ex-neighbours whenever there’s a chance.

Certainly wasn’t the richer for it 😆

And don’t get me started on town 😳😰

I lived up the road in Woodsetts for quite some time. I still go back to visit friends.

I know exactly what you mean.

22 minutes ago, melthebell said:

weird cos i did a google and found the following

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/bulletins/uktrade/july2022

although i did also think is a rise because of a slump previously? or is a rise from pre brexit? 

anyway one seems to be from the EU, and one from our Government, so if anybody fancies comparing both and posting their findings feel free.

I think it's a rise from the previous slump which means it's a recovery not an improvement. Having said which you know what they say about lies, damn lies and statistics.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sibon said:

I lived up the road in Woodsetts for quite some time. I still go back to visit friends.

I know exactly what you mean.

We’ve long had friends on Limestone Close (still have, we had them over here in Lux on a couple occasions) and our kid did primary school there. Happy memories of the place 😁

Worksop, Rotherham, Dinno…felt grim 😔

12 minutes ago, m williamson said:

I think it's a rise from the previous slump which means it's a recovery not an improvement. Having said which you know what they say about lies, damn lies and statistics.

For UK data, wait for the latest (or go see the earlier) ONS set, and look for data excluding precious metals (usually a sizeable outlier, skews figures a lot because high in value of course, but with next-to-no value added by labour/‘work-work’, to call it that).

For international comparisons, OECD data is usually very reliable.

The UK is slowly doing better, relative to where it fell to, between (‘actual’) Brexit, global freight crises, Covid, but it isn’t doing well relative to the rest of the G10. There was a graph in the FT recently, and the lag shown, was something else.

To the surprise of nobody who’s been keeping the Brexit receipts. By now, too many UK SMEs who’ve called exporting a day, too many EU27 importers who’ve switched to non-UK suppliers, and those UK businesses who’ve moved their export units to the Continent don’t count as UK exports anymore.

Edited by L00b

17 minutes ago, L00b said:

For UK data, wait for the latest (or go see the earlier) ONS set, and look for data excluding precious metals (usually a sizeable outlier, skews figures a lot because high in value of course, but with next-to-no value added by labour/‘work-work’, to call it that).

For international comparisons, OECD data is usually very reliable.

Thanks, when looking at these types of figures I tend to be a little wary as there can be an inclination for the presentation to be slightly biased in a particular direction according to whoever compiled it.

There's also the confusion caused by things such as the precious metal situation as you pointed out. As I understand it the UK is one of the biggest exporters of gold in the world but hardly any is mined here. It's imported, stored and then exported on to the end user with little to no involvement or work other than storage and onward transmission.

I voted Remain for purely pragmatic purposes and I saw the Irish problem coming a mile away. Nothing has convinced me I was wrong in voting that way, it's been an unmitigated disaster and neither of the two main party's has the balls to apply to rejoin the Single Market and try to regain some semblance of normality in the economy. Party before country every time.

By the Financial Times, might be helpful in the context of recent posts.

41 minutes ago, L00b said:

Bit late, @L00b - see post #5424 ( and earlier ones, IIRC)

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Loob, you are a  strong opponent of Brexit, may I ask if you have a interest in the EU because of your employment ?

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Bit late, @L00b - see post #5424 ( and earlier ones, IIRC)

So good, it was worth posting it twice 😁

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

Loob, you are a  strong opponent of Brexit, may I ask if you have a interest in the EU because of your employment ?

That was the case pre-Brexodus. Not since.

Starting to hit the services sector now, UK no longer the services capital of the EU: