Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

The protocol will be sorted out sooner or later because the EU are desperate to have a good trading relationship with us.  The good thing about the protocol is our government has the option to unilaterally take action to resolve problems which wouldn't have been the case with the backstop that Theresa May agreed to.  

I will add that I agree Brexit overall has turned out to be a huge success in the short amount of time since our country left the EU.  The future looks to be even better.

Here's what Jeremy Warner, assistant editor of The Daily Telegraph, thinks. Yes, the Brexit mad Daily Telegraph!

This is from his Daily Telegraph column.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/10/15/project-fear-right-along/

'Call it revenge of the Remainer Establishment, if you like. The revolution in the British economy promised by Leave campaigners six years ago finally seemed to go the way of all revolutionary movements this week: it ended up eating itself.

Downbeat predictions by the Treasury and others on the economic consequences of leaving the EU, contemptuously dismissed at the time by Brexit campaigners as "Project Fear", have been on a long fuse, but they have turned out to be overwhelmingly correct, and if anything have underestimated both the calamitous loss of international standing and the scale of the damage that six years of policy confusion and ineptitude has imposed on the country.

A serious house price correction, substantially higher interest rates and a permanently impaired exchange rate may be the least of it. 

Credibility is all in politics, finance and economics; this week was the point at which the UK Government finally managed to lose all last remaining vestiges of it. Britain's trusted institutional framework, together with its hard won reputation for sound money and certainty in policy, all went down the pan. 

Perhaps I exaggerate, but not since the humiliation of the International Monetary Fund bailout in 1976 have we seen an unravelling quite as spectacular. This too from a Tory Government with a substantial overall majority. It is scarcely believable.

We'll be paying the consequences in reduced standing and prosperity for years, if not decades, to come.'

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Don't you live in this country ?

Ah, it will seemingly come as a shock to you (-alone, because just about every other SF member knows this), to learn that I don’t.

Anymore.

Admittedly, I did take out the ‘Brexoded’ footer sig a while back now.

Edited by L00b

1 minute ago, L00b said:

Ah, it will seemingly come as a shock to you (-alone, because just about every other SF members knows this), to learn that I don’t.

Anymore.

I recall now you live in Luxembourg.

A country where we had a lovely holiday.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Don't you live in this country ?

Nope - he doesn't, allegedly in Belgium/Luxembourg.

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, L00b said:

Ah, it will seemingly come as a shock to you (-alone, because just about every other SF member knows this), to learn that I don’t.

Anymore.

Admittedly, I did take out the ‘Brexoded’ footer sig a while back now.

The Gateford estate is all the poorer for your exit😁

5 hours ago, West 77 said:

The protocol will be sorted out sooner or later because the EU are desperate to have a good trading relationship with us.

The Protocol will be sorted out to the satisfaction of the EU, the Republic of Ireland and the USA. 

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-brexit-northern-ireland-protocol-david-frost-united-states-reprimands/

As for the trading relationship, the UK has more at stake than the EU so if there is any desperation involved it will be on our part.

41 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Interesting video on current consequences of Brexit

Indeed, this mini budget was very much a Brexiteer Budget...

Brexiters rejoice! Truss is betting everything on your ideas:

https://www.ft.com/content/40cb7430-065d-4bdb-b479-60318d21d361

...and that's precisely why it's a shambles!

Brexit ideology lies behind the UK’s market rout:

https://www.ft.com/content/e6884fa0-5897-44e7-a990-354ac743571a

The fall out continues...

Big UK regulators are struggling to adapt to post-Brexit roles, say MPs:

https://www.ft.com/content/8ef94ac8-b074-4071-9bd7-96c526020930

...and, inevitably...

‘Told you so’: EU struggles to contain Schadenfreude at UK tumult:

https://www.ft.com/content/b12e643d-c408-49c4-b8ee-8ff20761fabc

:?

2 hours ago, sibon said:

The Gateford estate is all the poorer for your exit😁

I drove through when we were over earlier this year (Easter…or was it Jubilee…can’t remember), we still get together with the ex-neighbours whenever there’s a chance.

Certainly wasn’t the richer for it 😆

And don’t get me started on town 😳😰

Edited by L00b

18 minutes ago, West 77 said:

That article is 16 months old.

...and things have gone from bad to worse!

Carry on supporting the EU.

In translation: "Carry on supporting reality" :?

That article is 16 months old.

Carry on supporting the EU.

I don't support the EU I want the best for this country and my family who live here.

Now, explain precisely how things have changed for the better in the last 16 months and why I should now believe that the self inflicted disaster that is Brexit is turning out to be the unqualified success that the Brexiteers promised.

1 minute ago, m williamson said:

Now, explain precisely how things have changed for the better in the last 16 months and why I should now believe that the self inflicted disaster that is Brexit is turning out to be the unqualified success that the Brexiteers promised.

Simple, it isn't... even the Torygraph can't spin that yarn any more.