Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

18 minutes ago, sibon said:

It’s lovely to see Hackey19 making their usual

high quality contribution to the debate.

Maybe they are suffering from a bit of buyers remorse as the implications of their vote become clearer and clearer..

My bold. 

God is this thread still trying to continued by a sad bunch?  

Far be it for me to speak for a fellow Brexiteer but I'm guessing now that the only Remainers in the UK are posting on SF?

Said it before, about a 1,000 pages back, possibly somewhere back in Part 6 or 7 of the other related threads, you lot are like those few Japanese soldiers, still stuck in the dense undergrowth, believing they were still fighting WWII in the 1970's.

Let me lay it on the line.  Largest democratic vote in the UK took place.  Simple, (although not simple enough for some),  leave /  remain vote took place.  Clear majority voted to leave.   End of discussion

God, we still shouldn't be having this discussion 6 years on.   I must admit though, I'm envious of the Remainers

They clearly have their lives sorted in that they can find the time to have only one issue in their lives. 

12 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Far be it for me to speak for a fellow Brexiteer but I'm guessing now that the only Remainers in the UK are posting on SF?

Said it before, about a 1,000 pages back, possibly somewhere back in Part 6 or 7 of the other related threads, you lot are like those few Japanese soldiers, still stuck in the dense undergrowth, believing they were still fighting WWII in the 1970's.

Let me lay it on the line.  Largest democratic vote in the UK took place.  Simple, (although not simple enough for some),  leave /  remain vote took place.  Clear majority voted to leave.   End of discussion

God, we still shouldn't be having this discussion 6 years on.   I must admit though, I'm envious of the Remainers

They clearly have their lives sorted in that they can find the time to have only one issue in their lives.

You seem to have failed to notice, this is the Consequences of Brexit thread. The consequences didn't stop after the vote. Those in charge of leaving haven't even managed to sort out the GB/NI/RoI border issues yet.

I know ardent leave supporters would like for nobody to mention the downsides to Brexit but since they spent 40 years blaming the EEC/EU even for things that were entirely fictitious or entirely the responsibility of UK governments they can just suck up people pointing out that Brexit Britain isn't the land of milk and honey they promised.

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Given the way it's turning out, are you sure you're not that Japanese soldier... completely isolated from reality...

...'cos it sure looks that way! :hihi:

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I know right... I'd be embarrassed and wouldn't want to be reminded about it too...

...but I didn't vote leave! :thumbsup:

Well, they're not desperately avoiding acknowledging the complete shambles they created, largely out of ignorance... that much is true. :roll:

Edited by Magilla

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Of course we should.

Took you long enough to get Brexit (not) done, for the consequences to only start piling up now.

Carry on suppressing 🤡

The Telegraph Brexit timeline...

September 2019 : The success of Brexit Britain has left Project Fear on its deathbed.

June 2021: Trade figures show just how wrong Project Fear really was

July 2021: Project Fear was wrong, but Brexit’s rewards are also yet to materialise

October 2022: Project Fear was right all along

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/10/15/project-fear-right-along/

"If it had been done differently it might have succeeded, but it was not. We'll be paying the consequences in reduced standing and prosperity for years, if not decades, to come."

14 hours ago, Magilla said:

The Telegraph Brexit timeline...

September 2019 : The success of Brexit Britain has left Project Fear on its deathbed.

June 2021: Trade figures show just how wrong Project Fear really was

July 2021: Project Fear was wrong, but Brexit’s rewards are also yet to materialise

October 2022: Project Fear was right all along

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/10/15/project-fear-right-along/

"If it had been done differently it might have succeeded, but it was not. We'll be paying the consequences in reduced standing and prosperity for years, if not decades, to come."

Torygraph link is behind a paywall - to get round it try https://12ft.io/ and then copy and paste the URL into the remove paywall box 😎

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

New figures from the EU Commission’s official statistics agency show the UK’s exporters have grown their EU business by 62% so far this year “despite Brexit.”

UK exports to EU fall to lowest recorded level as imports rise, according to trade data

https://www.export.org.uk/news/610245/UK-exports-to-EU-fall-to-lowest-recorded-level-as-imports-rise-according-to-trade-data.htm

UK exports to the EU have fallen to their lowest level since 2011

Not hard to grow from a near record low :?

The reality, UK has now dropped to the slowest growing economy of the G7

UK remains only G7 economy to languish below pre-pandemic levels:

https://www.ft.com/content/4edae69b-c82d-49fb-ae5a-03d14ca8caa6

:roll:

The UK economy is shrinking, that's the reality of Brexit.

Edited by Magilla

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

New figures from the EU Commission’s official statistics agency show the UK’s exporters have grown their EU business by 62% so far this year “despite Brexit.”

In contrast the EU’s trade deficit with the rest of the world has exceeded €300 billion for the first time.

Analysis from the CIBUK and Facts4EU shows the UK’s exports to the EU continue to rocket while the EU’s international trade balance continues to plummet.

https://conservativepost.co.uk/brexit-bonanza-uks-exports-to-eu-up-62-this-year/

Just need to sort out the N. Ireland border issue and then it will have been a complete success.

Maybe a public holiday called the Brexit Holiday could be introduced.

Think of the opportunity to moan, maybe even get more moans than the anti monarchy  controversy. 

Edited by harvey19
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Just need to sort out the N. Ireland border issue and then it will have been a complete success.

Just as soon as you get applying to be one of those vets, lawyers and economists that the government still can't find to man the borders or handle the Brexit fall out :thumbsup:

Just the N.I border issue? What about all the other borders, they're still not sorted!

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britain-scraps-plans-post-brexit-import-controls-2022-04-28/

A somber moment to remember how much money we've needlessly thrown away.

Think of the opportunity to moan, maybe even get more moans than the anti monarchy  controversy.

No need for a bank holiday for that, plenty to go at already... and those issues are increasing! :hihi:

Edited by Magilla
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The good thing about the protocol is our government has the option to unilaterally take action to resolve problems which wouldn't have been the case with the backstop that Theresa May agreed to.  

No, it absolutely doesn't, there is an agreed procedure for dealing with disputes.

I will add that I agree Brexit overall has turned out to be a huge success in the short amount of time since our country left the EU.  The future looks to be even better.

Shrinking the economy, humiliating the UK on the international stage and reducing it's global influence, a huge success!

Nothing says "taking back control" quite like the markets demolishing the UK government and forcing a massive u-turn.

Edited by Magilla

3 hours ago, harvey19 said:

Seconded. Put it in the middle of January, when the rolling blackouts start.

3 hours ago, harvey19 said:

There’s nothing to sort. You simply need to do what you negotiated, agreed to, signed and had the HoC ratify, which your PM of the time celebrated it as a roaring success…it was, wasn’t it?

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

The protocol will be sorted out sooner or later because the EU are desperate to have a good trading relationship with us. 

The EU already has the best trading relationship with the UK, that it could possibly have: all its exports get into the UK  unchecked, all UK exports get checked and appropriately tariffed at EU borders👍🏻

Don’t change a thing. Please 🤗

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

The good thing about the protocol is our government has the option to unilaterally take action to resolve problems which wouldn't have been the case with the backstop that Theresa May agreed to.  

So why hasn’t it yet?

Go on, put what’s left of your national economy where your mouth is 😈

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

Seconded. Put it in the middle of January, when the rolling blackouts start.

There’s nothing to sort. You simply need to do what you negotiated, agreed to, signed and had the HoC ratify, which your PM of the time celebrated it as a roaring success…it was, wasn’t it?

Don't you live in this country ?