Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

3 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

You may yawn but still no benefits,your list are just empty lies.

Well, no.

That blue passport is a reality, not a lie.

Even though Brexit was never needed to go for the blue version again.

😆

2 hours ago, sibon said:

(…)

Allowing the British public a binary vote on such a complex issue was ridiculous. Referenda have no place in a parliamentary democracy.

Agree with first sentence, disagree with second sentence.

Referenda are perfectly fine to determine a nation’s fundamental pivots in politics and governance, particularly at the level of its constitutional bedrock.

What has been lacking in the UK, is a regulatory framework (edit: with political independence and teeth) to guarantee fact-based, informed debate, as there is elsewhere (e.g. Ireland).

The run-up to the 2016 referendum was filled with some of the worst, outright lies that I’d ever seen in a parliamentary democracy, left wholly unchecked by the media under somebody misguided pretence of ‘balance’, and demonstrably amplified by external actors through targeted social media mass-messaging, some of which actors were already long trafficking  influence with domestic politicians.

And the British public said…nothing. And still does. So it gets the governance it deserves, likewise the unending consequences of that governance.

Edited by L00b

8 minutes ago, West 77 said:

You asked for benefits and I provided benefits from a government source which no doubt you haven't read. 

the first one on the list : ending free movement (i don't see any benefit to this? - this is even causing us loads of problems)

#2 Restored democratic control over our lawmaking (we never lost it)

#3 Restored the UK Supreme Court as the final arbiter of the law that applies in the UK (it always was)

#4 Made it tougher for EU criminals to enter the UK (we could have done this at any time)

etc.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ads36 said:

the first one on the list : ending free movement (i don't see any benefit to this? - this is even causing us loads of problems)

Free movement was ended for Brits reciprocally.

No more studying, student jobs, proper jobs, enterprising, retirement <etc> in the EU.

#2 Restored democratic control over our lawmaking (we never lost it)

I’ve lost track of the number of times Parliament was denied any meaningful debate on new legislation in the past 2-3 years.

What was it for the WA, about an hour allowed? Or was that the TCA?

#3 Restored the UK Supreme Court as the final arbiter of the law that applies in the UK (it always was)

Ah, yes, the Supreme Justices…who could forget these ‘Enemies of the People’, as the red tops called them, eh?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/04/enemies-of-the-people-british-newspapers-react-judges-brexit-ruling

#4 Made it tougher for EU criminals to enter the UK (we could have done this at any time)

Actually Brexit made that easier, since the UK lost access to EU criminal databases.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-56529359

etc.

Precisely.

That list of ‘benefits’ is just another list of lies, misrepresentations and factless or wishful thinking. It’s PR powder to the eyes of the ever-fewer believers.

Edited by L00b
  • Like 1

"the freedom to regulate in a more proportionate and agile way that works for our great British businesses"

I was going to say an example of this would be the huge amount of effulent pumped into British seas by many of our 'great British businesses', but that wouldn't be true since many of the major shareholders are foreign Governments, investment funds etc.

Thanks Maggie :roll:

In the news today, the £120m Brexit Festival has turned into an abject failure, with 238k visits against the 66m visits projected.

Anyone care to guess who is getting the blame?

1 hour ago, L00b said:

In the news today, the £120m Brexit Festival has turned into an abject failure, with 238k visits against the 66m visits projected.

Anyone care to guess who is getting the blame?

Without looking it up I bet it’s remainers.

42 minutes ago, L00b said:

I agree with Matt from Chester in the comments section. “A celebration of the most damaging act of self harm in UK history fails miserably and the idiots that voted for brexit blame this predictable failure on those who didn't vote for it. Someone's having a bloody laugh surely. Beyond parody”.

19 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

I agree with Matt from Chester in the comments section. “A celebration of the most damaging act of self harm in UK history fails miserably and the idiots that voted for brexit blame this predictable failure on those who didn't vote for it. Someone's having a bloody laugh surely. Beyond parody”.

A flyer for the event?

FbhjgUdaMAIYgS7?format=jpg&name=small

:hihi:

Fbhrz9BWIAEEFu-?format=jpg&name=360x360

Edited by Magilla

Was browsing the argument section of Facebook a little while ago and came across this gem, made me giggle.

sH9Shvx.jpg