Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

1 hour ago, whiteowl said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-62589667

Raw sewage closes beaches in Sussex.

Glad we got rid of those pesky EU rules about clean beaches 🙄

So how would the EU rules have prevented a power outage that led to this discharge?:rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

So how would the EU rules have prevented a power outage that led to this discharge?:rolleyes:

Fairly obvious that they wouldn't 🙄

However, they would have made the company liaible so perhaps the company would invest in the infrastructure to stop it happening in the first place?

7 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

However, they would have made the company liaible so perhaps the company would invest in the infrastructure to stop it happening in the first place?

Out of curiosity, how do you 'invest in the infrastructure' to ensure an unfortunate multiple component failure doesn't happen - have backup-backup-backup..... units, all of which require constant maintenance, even if they are not in use?

10 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

It's really a non story and nothing at all to do with EU rules not being inplace. Just another attempt at blaming whatever bad is happening on brexit. Bought some snake food (weaner rats) last week from a Sheffield snake shop and the price has gone up from £11.50 for 10 to £16.50. When I moaned about the increase the shop owner just said "welcome to brexit Britain", which is just a con as his supplier is UK based.

54 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Bought some snake food (weaner rats) last week from a Sheffield snake shop and the price has gone up from £11.50 for 10 to £16.50.  When I moaned about the increase the shop owner just said "welcome to brexit Britain", which is just a con as his supplier is UK based.

His suppliers supplier, or part of the supply chain (feed etc), may well not be...

...so maybe the shop owner is just being honest. :roll:

UK government enters endgame in Europe research standoff:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62570184

Edited by Magilla

3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Out of curiosity, how do you 'invest in the infrastructure' to ensure an unfortunate multiple component failure doesn't happen - have backup-backup-backup..... units, all of which require constant maintenance, even if they are not in use?

No, a single backup system should suffice. However if that backup fails when it is needed then you have to question the maintaining of said backup, and the testing of said backup at a regular interval.

I work in IT and used to work for a company that hosted a lot of NHS servers.  A lot of work went into making sure that the backup power supplies were always available.

2 hours ago, Magilla said:

His suppliers supplier, or part of the supply chain (feed etc), may well not be...

That's not the case here as I know who his supplier is for the food and also a couple who supply him with other stock. They breed rats and mice mainly, they then euthanize them when they are at the right age and size and then freeze them for sale. Not a great deal of cost re feed as rats and mice are omnivores and will eat what's available.

No because he is the usual a whining remain ninny who I am told is always on facebook moaning about how his costs had to increase as a result of brexit, covid and lockdown. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Dromedary said:

It's really a non story and nothing at all to do with EU rules not being inplace. Just another attempt at blaming whatever bad is happening on brexit. Bought some snake food (weaner rats) last week from a Sheffield snake shop and the price has gone up from £11.50 for 10 to £16.50. When I moaned about the increase the shop owner just said "welcome to brexit Britain", which is just a con as his supplier is UK based.

You're probably right.

It must just be a coincidence that, after the EU laws on managing the water environment were revoked, tons of raw sewage have appeared in our rivers and on our beaches.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

No, a single backup system should suffice. However if that backup fails when it is needed then you have to question the maintaining of said backup, and the testing of said backup at a regular interval.

I work in IT and used to work for a company that hosted a lot of NHS servers.  A lot of work went into making sure that the backup power supplies were always available.

A UPS is nothing like what a water sewage treatment plant needs and data servers need to be running all the time.

3 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

You're probably right.

It must just be a coincidence that, after the EU laws on managing the water environment were revoked, tons of raw sewage have appeared in our rivers and on our beaches.

Yep you are probably right! Although I don't recall reading much about the tons of raw sewage suddenly materialising.

1 minute ago, whiteowl said:

I understand what you mean, but the BBC story says 'a significant power failure - or something similar, cant quite remember - wonder if this means a total grid failure? If so, and it was a big facility, maybe the backup wasn't big enough/may have failed, itself?

I worked at a very large steel production/processing factory, we relied almost exclusively on electric power, but only super-critical plant had emergency back-up - to try and cover everything would have been unworkable on a plant and cost basis.

UK government enters endgame in Europe research standoff:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62570184

Maybe