Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Ah, thanks for rescuing Westy and Dromedary with an actual (and interesting) link, Baron.

Now I could took a leaf out of Dromedary’s book, considering that table ranks alleged breaches, not qualified breaches:

Enforcement procedures mean that a country has broken EU rules in the estimation of the European Commission – though ultimately the European Court of Justice has the final say on whether a country has infringed European law.

After all, what is sauce for the goose <etc>,

Instead, I’ll go and have a nosey on CURIA, to see whether the eventual CJEU decisions (assuming they’ve all been handed down, 4 years on) change that ‘ranking’ at all.

The infringements against Germany, which can be started for delayed implementation or inadequate conversion into national laws, relate to policy areas like air pollution, water quality and fire protection.

Wew! Dodged a bullet or two with Brexiting, there, I’d say 

😆

Edited by L00b

10 hours ago, L00b said:

I’m sure you like to think so.

You’ll have to be a little more precise than that, to warrant a considered reply.

Because I’m old enough to remember the copious amount of fines which the UK received for breaking EU protocols whilst still a member.

Nothing to do with Brexit / ‘leavers vs remainers’.

All to do with the Conservative government’s egregious conduct of the past few years, where the implementation of Brexit is concerned.

Before that.  Brexit vote itself was also to do with the Tories unfair and corrupt 'Austerity' policies which made a fair portion of the electorate want to give the political class in general a f***ing good kicking in the referendum.

Edited by Anna B

25 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Before that.  Brexit vote itself was also to do with the Tories unfair and corrupt 'Austerity' policies which made a fair portion of the electorate want to give the political class in general a f***ing good kicking in the referendum.

Forgive me but wasn't it a Labour government that introduced and started the first austerity measures at the end of 2008 when Gordon the Gopher was in charge? 

From the BBC.

"Gordon Brown has admitted he made a "big mistake" over the handling of financial regulation in the run-up to the banking crisis of 2008.

The former prime minister told a US conference he had not realised the "entanglements" of global institutions.

He said: "We set up the FSA [the City regulator] believing the problem would come from the failure of an individual institution. That was the big mistake.

"We didn't understand just how entangled things were."

Mr Brown said he had to "accept my responsibility" but added he was not the only one who had made mistakes."

Yeah, a big mistake was selling off our gold reserves on the cheap!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13032013

34 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Forgive me but wasn't it a Labour government that introduced and started the first austerity measures at the end of 2008 when Gordon the Gopher was in charge? 

From the BBC.

"Gordon Brown has admitted he made a "big mistake" over the handling of financial regulation in the run-up to the banking crisis of 2008.

The former prime minister told a US conference he had not realised the "entanglements" of global institutions.

He said: "We set up the FSA [the City regulator] believing the problem would come from the failure of an individual institution. That was the big mistake.

"We didn't understand just how entangled things were."

Mr Brown said he had to "accept my responsibility" but added he was not the only one who had made mistakes."

Yeah, a big mistake was selling off our gold reserves on the cheap!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13032013

If you look at the graph of gold reserves value, you'll se it was holding pretty steady, with a slight increase just before Brown sold them.  A good time to sell probably, if it was a good idea to sell them at all.

Then a couple of months later they rocketed to heights never seen before, which no one could have predicted. 

Selling off our gold reserves was probably the mistake. Not the fact that he accidently sold them just before they doubled in value. However Brown/Blair were both on board with Thatcher's deregulation and did nothing to change it. Of course he understood 'just how entangled things were,' he was the bloody chancellor, nor did the crash come as a surprise. It was predicted well before it hit. He just hoped he wouldn't be the one holding the stick of dynamite when it blew up.

I was not a fan of them, any more than I am of Keir Starmer and l was a Lib Dem voter at the time.

I switched to Labour because of Jeremy Corbyn, an unusually honest politician with integrity who knew what was going on, and had the people's interests at heart. He had exactly the right policies for the times, and he had the commitment to follow them through. He would have redressed the balance or at least tried to.

Now we are back to a one party system;- Tory, and Tory lite under Starmer. Even if he is elected, he will do nothing to address the real problems but be seen to tinker round the edges. He will make no difference, and poverty will increase and creep up the social scale, because there is no one fighting their corner.

Edited by Anna B

6 hours ago, Dromedary said:

I never have any problem with believing facts.

EU commission infringement proceedings are factual, likewise their respective outcome (Commission claim made out, Commission claim dismissed), likewise the number of proceedings against each EU member state at anyone time. 

It would have been useful if you’d used the relevant terminology, instead of that vague and cryptic rant:

But when France and Germany both broke international law re the EU protocols and got away with it no one bats an eye but because this was to do with Brexit so all hell breaks loose with the remainers.

You’ve still got to explain your claims of “France & Germany got away with it” and “no one bats an eyelid”, by the way. Historical data clearly shows that neither France, nor Germany, nor any other EU member state engaged with infringement proceedings by the Commission ‘gets away with it’ and the bringing of such proceedings are the very definition of ‘batting an eyelid’.

Don’t bother linking me to that ultra hard right propaganda rag, by the way. The Spectator gives a bad name to budget toilet paper.

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

This the Brexit thread, I leave my diatribe against other Tory policies for the Conservatives thread.

Now if some of the electorate was so stupid, as to use such a crucial referendum for giving that kicking to ‘the man’ rather than voting in their own best interests, then that’s a problem with and for that electorate section, not with past government policies: they made the decision to use their vote for sending a message about domestic politics, rather than for maintaining the EU membership of the UK. Now they must assume, and so get to live with, the consequences of that decision.

It never took a genius to understand that EU money had been funding infrastructure and projects in the most deprived areas of the UK wholly independently of Westminster, no.10 and no.11, and would continue to do so if the UK remained in the EU. All it took was a little curiosity (if knowledge was lacking), a browser, an ability to read and some degree of reading comprehension.

My memory is fine enough to recall our own exchanges then, Anna. Yet you still voted Leave. Hey Ho.

Edited by L00b

Boris Johnson is leading an assault on British democracy:

https://www.newstatesman.com/comment/2021/12/ignore-his-lies-for-now-boris-johnson-is-leading-an-assault-on-british-democracy

40 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I didn't think it is necessary to google for links to support well know facts.

There are actual facts, and your facts... the two are invariably unrelated :?

Edited by Magilla

37 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I didn't think it is necessary to google for links to support well know facts. No one would expect me to provide a link to prove that the small French bloke Napoleon was defeated by the Duke of Wellington at Waterloo if we were having a discussion about French failure.

You should be thinking more about thanking Baron, for saving you the trouble of posting the links, and less about trying to troll me with your poor jibes 😘

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

I didn't think it is necessary to google for links to support well know facts. No one would expect me to provide a link to prove that the small French bloke Napoleon was defeated by the Duke of Wellington at Waterloo if we were having a discussion about French failure.

Purely for historical accuracy some on here should read this.

'How 400 Germans won the Battle of Waterloo'

https://www.thelocal.de/20150618/waterloo-britains-great-victory-decided-by-germans/

5 hours ago, L00b said:

It never took a genius to understand that EU money had been funding infrastructure and projects in the most deprived areas of the UK wholly independently of Westminster, no.10 and no.11, and would continue to do so if the UK remained in the EU. All it took was a little curiosity (if knowledge was lacking), a browser, an ability to read and some degree of reading comprehension.

And where did that EU money come from in the first place? How many of those infrastructure project succeeded in doing what they claimed they would if they received funding. Its all well and good funding projects but do they actually make as much difference as claimed. For instance Sheffield has had lots of funding from the EU for projects supposedly to create 1000s of extra jobs and help the community and with the amount of extra jobs promised there should by now be full employment in Sheffield.

Sheffield Airport was just one classic failure in a list of many. As it points out here a lot of the problems with extra funding to keep it afloat was because of the EU and its competition policy. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2001/nov/21/guardiansocietysupplement3

Then we had the failed high speed broadband project which the EU wanted a refund on.

Then there is this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36420415

1 hour ago, Dromedary said:

For instance Sheffield has had lots of funding from the EU for projects supposedly to create 1000s of extra jobs and help the community and with the amount of extra jobs promised there should by now be full employment in Sheffield.

See the AMP - off the parkway for a great example.

(AMRC, Nuclear AMRC*, Rolls-Royce ABCF, TWI, McClaren, CTI, etc. etc. etc.)

it's been a huge success.

*that's right, not one, but two HVM Catapult centres!

Sheffield Airport site became the AMP-overflow, now hosting Factory2050, and Boeing - they're doing fantastic work!

This is all very much something that Sheffield should be proud of. And yes, there are thousands of well paid jobs.

Thanks EU!

Edited by ads36