Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

On 04/06/2020 at 20:31, Earthlyone said:

Crying about Brexit...is that still a thing??

at least we dare do it under our one name

10 minutes ago, bassett one said:

I thought the deal was oven ready and no problem?the Ireland has no border was his words,so that's sorted,so roll on jan 1st 2021 easy as he said,just hope as a older person that was used to having fruit/veg by our English season,that hes sorted that as the modern housewife/man ect,have never had to think about that,todays society eats fruits all year round that come from abroad and will find it difficult if its no around jan-dec ie strawberrys,lettuce ect.

Man eats turnips and turnips alone

35 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I notice that site acknowledges it is Time well Wasted.

thats brexit in a nutshell, time wasted just to appease people tricked and angered by decades of lies of eurosceptics, the rich and privileged and the media

31 minutes ago, melthebell said:

thats brexit in a nutshell, time wasted just to appease people tricked and angered by decades of lies of eurosceptics, the rich and privileged and the media

And people like me - an (ex)-working man who has always been against what I correctly guessed would attempt to be a 'Eurostate' with it's attendant insufficiencies.

FYI  I voted against it early on, when we were given the chances, and, IMHO, I was right.

BTW - my comment was aimed at the link kindly provided by LOOb

Edited by RollingJ

Farmers getting worried, looks like that manifesto promise is on the rocks...

Chlorinated chicken concern grows among Wales' farmers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52962407

NFU is resorting to petitions...

https://www.nfuonline.com/news/latest-news/public-support-for-food-standards-bolstered-as-600000-sign-nfu-petition/

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

And people like me - an (ex)-working man who has always been against what I correctly guessed would attempt to be a 'Eurostate' with it's attendant insufficiencies.

FYI  I voted against it early on, when we were given the chances, and, IMHO, I was right.

BTW - my comment was aimed at the link kindly provided by LOOb

I'm glad you appreciate political satire ;)

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

Farmers getting worried, looks like that manifesto promise is on the rocks...

Chlorinated chicken concern grows among Wales' farmers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52962407

NFU is resorting to petitions...

https://www.nfuonline.com/news/latest-news/public-support-for-food-standards-bolstered-as-600000-sign-nfu-petition/

Farmers?

Try the UK haulage industry, between insufficient EMTs, the incoming mountain of customs red tape, and the age distribution of the population of UK haulage drivers.

That one is critical to sustaining your economy (never mind avoiding shortages of *everything*) from day one, come 1st January 2021.

@pmdfoster is worth a follow about these topics.

Edited by L00b

More of whiplash Boris - the fastest U-turner in the west...

From the BBC: "The UK has abandoned plans for full border checks with the EU on 1 January amid pressures caused by the coronavirus pandemic, the Financial Times reports Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove has accepted that businesses cannot cope with problems stemming from the outbreak and at the same time deal with post-Brexit disruption at the border, the FT says. Instead, the government will bring in a temporary light-touch system at ports, the paper reports."

Take back control except we can't control the pandemic as the government shuts down too late, we can't control the borders because the government is incompetent...

Chaos in the NHS, financial ruin in the country and yet no control...

I love it when a plan comes together - you must be happy now Brexiteers?

2 minutes ago, Litotes said:

From the BBC: "The UK has abandoned plans for full border checks with the EU on 1 January amid pressures caused by the coronavirus pandemic, the Financial Times reports Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove has accepted that businesses cannot cope with problems stemming from the outbreak and at the same time deal with post-Brexit disruption at the border, the FT says. Instead, the government will bring in a temporary light-touch system at ports, the paper reports."

Take back control except we can't control the pandemic as the government shuts down too late, we can't control the borders because the government is incompetent...

So why not just extend the deadline for Brexit?

12 hours ago, Longcol said:

So why not just extend the deadline for Brexit?

Because reasons ;)

There's no deadline to extend for Brexit. That happened on 31 January 2020.

The only deadline that can be extended, is the scheduled end to the Withdrawal Agreement on 31 December 2020.

And the deadline to request and agree that extension, is 30 June 2020. In 18 days.

12 hours ago, Litotes said:

It's a good cover for failing to sort out border infrastructure and staffing. The Little Englander brexiters will be upset and will no doubt complain when the EU, which got its act together re border stuff, doesn't reciprocate. For the free market ultras it's just things going to plan - they want us to be able import anything from anywhere without regulations or tariffs. And let's not forget, under WTO rules, light-touch border controls won't just apply to the EU.

1 hour ago, altus said:

(...). And let's not forget, under WTO rules, light-touch border controls won't just apply to the EU.

Which is precisely why it will be killing UK exports to anywhere as well (how can you comply with WTO Rules of Origin, if you can't garantee -with the correct paper trail, which inludes a customs trail for imported materials and components- what from where went into the product when?)

beside kicking into touch any and all FTA negotiations with any and all countries like the US, AU, JP, CN, EU27, etc. (who needs an FTA, with a country which takes in anything and everything from everywhere without checks?)

What. A. Mess.

So, the wunderkind (next PM?)  that is Mr Gove announces that the government has "formally confirmed" it will not extend the Brexit transition period.

But we won't have full border checks... or, or, or, or,...

Pathetic!!!!

42 minutes ago, Litotes said:

So, the wunderkind (next PM?)  that is Mr Gove announces that the government has "formally confirmed" it will not extend the Brexit transition period.

But we won't have full border checks... or, or, or, or,...

Pathetic!!!!

Not to worry.

We've got your back: in answer to Gove, Barnier was quick to confirm the EU27's willingness to work extra-hard, extra-fast on concluding sectoral aspects of the agreement.

All 700 of them.

Within the next 3.5 months.

(it all needs to be finalised by early October, to make the voting rounds across the EU in good time by 31 December).

Something, something, snowball, something, hell.

:D

Well it looks like our "new" (ie - if and when agreed) independent trade deals with the USA, Australia and New Zealand are going to be worth next to nothing to the UK  - by the governments own calculations.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-trade-deal-new-zealand-economy-jacinda-ardern-a9571421.html

The NZ deal at best increases GDP by 0.01%, the Australian by 0.02% and the USA by a whopping 0.16%.

And yet HMG are ******* about with the EU deal (or more than likely no deal) which is far larger than all the others put together.