Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute.

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by Vaati

53 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It looks like Brexit has help to restore closer cooperation between the UK and Australia.  Not only has the UK a new trade deal with Australia but have a new security pact with Australia and the US  for the Asia/Pacific area. Not so good news for France because Australia have sunk a lucrative deal with them for submarines. 

The reason for the security pact, China's growing influence in the region, would have happened regardless of whether we had left the EU or not. There has been lots of close cooperation between Aus, US and UK (e.g. five eyes), even when we were in the EU, so it's difficult to see what brexit could have had anything to do with it.

1 hour ago, Frans2755 said:

That is good news and by god you need it . And it is good news that the UK is going to start patrolling the seas of the far east, it sounds expensive and for what purpose. The chinese must be shaking in their boots.

What right do we have to patrol their seas? Just asking.

How would we like it if the Chinese turned up patrolling the Atlantic or North Sea?

Sounds quite an antagonistic move to me.

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, Frans2755 said:

That is good news and by god you need it . And it is good news that the UK is going to start patrolling the seas of the far east, it sounds expensive and for what purpose. The chinese must be shaking in their boots.

Despite all the negativity on this thread from the remainer losers things are very good in Britain since we left the EU. The asian/pacific area is the big  global growth area and the potential for further growth is massive which is why it makes sense for the big players to have security pacts.  Staying neutral regarding China may suit small countries like Belgium unlike Britain who are a major global power.  Staying neutral at the start of the second World War didn't prevent little Belgium being invaded by Germany.  Will just take the opportunity to remind you  Britain liberated Belgium in 1944.

44 minutes ago, altus said:

The reason for the security pact, China's growing influence in the region, would have happened regardless of whether we had left the EU or not. There has been lots of close cooperation between Aus, US and UK (e.g. five eyes), even when we were in the EU, so it's difficult to see what brexit could have had anything to do with it.

Okay we agree  Brexit has not diminished Britain's  influence and prestige around the globe.

Edited by West 77

3 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Despite all the negativity on this thread from the remainer losers things are very good in Britain since we left the EU. The asian/pacific area is the big  global growth area and the potential for further growth is massive which is why it makes sense for the big players to have security pacts.  Staying neutral regarding China may suit small countries like Belgium unlike Britain who are a major global power.  Staying neutral at the start of the second World War didn't prevent little Belgium being invaded by Germany.  Will just take the opportunity to remind you  Britain liberated Belgium in 1944.

We buy loads of stuff from China, but do we actually sell them anything? Genuine question. They seem pretty capable and self sufficient to me.

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

We buy loads of stuff from China, but do we actually sell them anything? Genuine question. They seem pretty capable and self sufficient to me.

Yes we buy mainly cheap tat from China and they buy more quality luxury items from us.  The balance of trade deficit was massive with China when we were in the EU and will still be massive now we have left the EU.  

So Westie finds a Brexit plus with our cooperation with Australia and the US whilst extolling the virtues of less cooperation with our nearest neighbours.

As for things being good in Britain,I don’t see that this applies for households struggling with rising prices.

Neither Brexit or the Tory Government has been beneficial to those lower down the scale,or to many industries.

17 minutes ago, Anna B said:

They are certainly very capable and have dragged their economy ever upwards over the last 50 years.

Much of western equipment and technology was sold to them in the 70s and 80s and they have pursued their policy of industrialisation and modern technology with a determination that has grown their economy massively.

It is not mainly cheap tat Westy.

Check the big brand names place of manufacture.

Edited by RJRB

2 hours ago, Frans2755 said:

I think everybody with a couple of grey cells, and an attention span longer than that of a goldfish, knows perfectly well who is wearing the trousers in this ‘renewed’ UK-Australia cooperation 😉

As for that cancelled sub deal, no biggie, France will just sue Australia for unilateral breach of contract. Won’t be the first time, nor the last. The Aussies can always (try and-) have a natter with Biden about who pays.

57 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Okay we agree  Brexit has not diminished Britain's  influence and prestige around the globe.

Forming a new security deal with countries we were already very close to doesn't make up for the loss of influence and prestige caused by cutting international aid, breaking international agreements we'd negotiated and threatening to leave human rights conventions. That's before you take into account the loss of influence and prestige resulting from us no longer being a member of the EU.

38 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I am glad to hear Brexit is going well, the facts and figures point into a different direction. And it also makes sense that you now have left the shackles of the EU you want to join another club to do the same on the otherside of the world. Time will tell if you are going to be succesfull. Good luck grab the new opportunities.

I will take your word that the UK is a global power and little Belgium does not have these aspirations to flex its muscles in the china sea.

When you write things down make sure like Mr. Farage you don't write down crap. 

Belgium was not neutral at the beginning of the second world war. Belgium in 1944 was liberated by Polish and Canadian troops as was my home country The Netherlands.. I don't see what it has to do with Brexit but it seems to fullfill your sense of superiority.

2 hours ago, altus said:

As an ardent Brexiteer, I have to agree with Altus.  It's little to do with Brexit.  If you look back at the original contract, the French actually beat a number of other nations to the contract, including the Germans.  As far as I can see, the UK  didn't even bid at the time.  I think its because the Australians were after diesel / electric subs?

It will however be a massive bonus for a number of UK industry sectors & our economy.  

(Maybe the Australians, when they saw the sub's plan, didn't like the fact that next to the button that fires the torpedos was another button with the instructions, 'In case of emergency, press the Capitulation' button'.) - 😁

49 minutes ago, Frans2755 said:

I am glad to hear Brexit is going well, the facts and figures point into a different direction. And it also makes sense that you now have left the shackles of the EU you want to join another club to do the same on the otherside of the world. Time will tell if you are going to be succesfull. Good luck grab the new opportunities.

I will take your word that the UK is a global power and little Belgium does not have these aspirations to flex its muscles in the china sea.

When you write things down make sure like Mr. Farage you don't write down crap. 

Belgium was not neutral at the beginning of the second world war. Belgium in 1944 was liberated by Polish and Canadian troops as was my home country The Netherlands.. I don't see what it has to do with Brexit but it seems to fullfill your sense of superiority.

And if you believe Westy, us Brits have a great deal to feel superior about. Such as:

Germany's Culture Minister is a trained art historian,

France's Culture Minister wrote a book on Verdi,

The new UK Culture Secretary ... ate an Ostrich anus on I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here.

Edited by Mister M

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

It will however be a massive bonus for a number of UK industry sectors & our economy.

Might be, not will be. They've got to beat the Americans to the contracts first. Also, despite what several politicians have implied, the subs will be built in Australian shipyards, not Barrow-in-Furness.