Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

The Times has revealed that the Government handed a Brexit Helpline contract - to a company in India

Brexit hotline goes to Indian company Hinduja Global Solutions | Business | The Times

This helpline is supposed to help  companies navigate a sea of new rules, including documentation and physical checks on goods, that are due to come into force next year.

So much for Brexiteers promising to cut red tape 🤪

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

The Times has revealed that the Government handed a Brexit Helpline contract - to a company in India

Brexit hotline goes to Indian company Hinduja Global Solutions | Business | The Times

This helpline is supposed to help  companies navigate a sea of new rules, including documentation and physical checks on goods, that are due to come into force next year.

So much for Brexiteers promising to cut red tape 🤪

The only thing Brexit was about was stopping the UK having to adhere to the tax evasion laws being brought in by the EU.

Sure, the government and the papers (who are mainly tax-evaders) sold it as patriotic  exercise but at the end of the day, it was all about rich people not wanting to pay tax.

Still, we are where we are, supply shortages but the rich don't care, they're making millions from it.

👆 straight forward tinfoilhattery

More generally, it's astounding that after all this time and all those words spoken and printed that so many people still don't have a basic understanding of why so many people voted for Brexit. 

Edited by Tony

8 hours ago, whiteowl said:

The only thing Brexit was about was stopping the UK having to adhere to the tax evasion laws being brought in by the EU.

Sure, the government and the papers (who are mainly tax-evaders) sold it as patriotic  exercise but at the end of the day, it was all about rich people not wanting to pay tax.

Still, we are where we are, supply shortages but the rich don't care, they're making millions from it.

One of the reasons why rich continental lorry drivers went back was due to having to pay more tax (IR35).

There is a fact check article on the EU  tax evasion avoidance directive:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/50168357

14 hours ago, Tony said:

I think the elimination of the democratic deficit is more than enough.

I could, and can go on but we’ll not be down in the weeds with lightweight Remain points about immigration, gammon, empires, Wetherspoons and all the other things that Remainers are obsessed with. 

We can do the democratic deficit first if you like.

You want to talk about democratic deficits. OK.

Our first past the post electoral system disenfranchises a large proportion of the population and allows the main parties to ignore people. For example, both Conservative and Labour governments ignored people's concerns about immigration for decades confident that it wouldn't effect the results of general elections. The only effective place people could register their dissatisfaction over immigration was to vote in the EU elections were, because the results are decided using a proportional system, a vote for a party like UKIP would result in them gaining seats. If the EU had a first past the post system like the UK has, the forces that lead concerns about immigration to not being registered under our system would have applied to EU election results. In a very real sense, the only reason brexit was able to happen is because the EU's voting system allowed that protest to be registered.

The Scots and Welsh at least have their parliament/assembly to register concerns that the FPTP system ignores, we no longer any mechanism to do so in England.

You want an example closer to home? Compare the seats in the Scottish Parliament (under a proportional system) with the seats in Westminster for Scottish constituencies (under first past the post).

Scotland         Westminster    
SNP       64    49.61%     48    81.36%
Con       31    24.03%      6    10.17%
Lab       22    17.05%      1     1.69%
LibDem     4     3.10%      4     6.78%
Greens     8     6.20%      0     0.00%

The Conservatives get about 24% of the votes in Scotland but only about 10% of the seats in Westminster. Think it's fair that the SNP get over 80% of the Westminster seats on less than 50% of the votes?

Those who voted for brexit may be being listened to at the moment but brexit didn't mean an end to their concerns and our FPTP electoral system means it won't be long before they'll find they are ignored again. Next time though, they won't have an effective mechanism for raising their concerns.

Guest makapaka
15 hours ago, Tony said:

What do you think we should do about it?

2 hours ago, Tony said:

👆 straight forward tinfoilhattery

More generally, it's astounding that after all this time and all those words spoken and printed that so many people still don't have a basic understanding of why so many people voted for Brexit. 

It certainly still astounds me and if you could explain this aberration in a few sentences it would perhaps help me.

Perhaps you could give your pre Brexit hopes and then your post Brexit views.

Thank you

There's no point @RJRB because it's been explained a thousand times and even though it is being played out right now in real time you obviously still haven't cottoned on. If people haven't worked it out after 322 pages why would I think it is worth my time going through it again? Even if I did, you wouldn't accept it because after five years you (not just you obviously, but you happen to have asked) haven't even accepted that Brexit has happened and that it's a legitimate change. 

I'm not cutting up on you personally but the Continuity Remain crowd are like alcoholics who won't accept that they have a problem. They need to move on and I reckon a good way to start is with acceptance through understanding. 

6 hours ago, altus said:

You want to talk about democratic deficits. OK.

The only effective place people could register their dissatisfaction over immigration was to vote in the EU elections were, because the results are decided using a proportional system, a vote for a party like UKIP would result in them gaining seats. If the EU had a first past the post system like the UK has, the forces that lead concerns about immigration to not being registered under our system would have applied to EU election results.

In the 2019 EU election the country was split, although the Brexit party got the most seats with 29, the pro EU/open boarders  partys got more seats and votes.

22 hours ago, Tony said:

I think the elimination of the democratic deficit is more than enough.

I could, and can go on but we’ll not be down in the weeds with lightweight Remain points about immigration, gammon, empires, Wetherspoons and all the other things that Remainers are obsessed with. 

Excellent, apologies for not replying sooner, but I'll gladly read/reply to your contribution. 

First I'll need to know who your MEPs were, the party and what they broadly stand for in EU governance terms.

4 hours ago, Tony said:

There's no point @RJRB because it's been explained a thousand times and even though it is being played out right now in real time you obviously still haven't cottoned on. If people haven't worked it out after 322 pages why would I think it is worth my time going through it again? Even if I did, you wouldn't accept it because after five years you (not just you obviously, but you happen to have asked) haven't even accepted that Brexit has happened and that it's a legitimate change. 

I'm not cutting up on you personally but the Continuity Remain crowd are like alcoholics who won't accept that they have a problem. They need to move on and I reckon a good way to start is with acceptance through understanding. 

Well Tony.

Thanks for going to such great lengths to avoid giving any answers or guidance.

If you were to trawl through all the preceding discussions you will certainly find similar responses to your own.

My acceptance through understanding might begin when I understand the logic behind Brexit but no one ,including the politicians who were at the forefront of the campaign seems to want further discussion.

The current trend seems to be to deny that any of our current problems are due to Brexit.

I would be far more sanguine if someone was able to say”Look what we have achieved through Brexit.”

Edited by RJRB