Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Prioritizing Covid19 management didn't stop Frost and Barnier having a go at the 3rd, virtually-held, negotiating meeting last week (I'll spare you commentary about that, I have at least a little sensitivity), nor has it stopped the EU27 prepping for managing the socio-economic aftermath of draconian confinement policies.

You sound sold up on a no deal outcome come January 2021 :|

Yes ,I have reconciled myself to a disastrous No Deal Brexit,with all blame being directed at the other 27.

Then I can enjoy my Christmas if there should be a crumb of comfort somewhere.

Now,back to sorting out this Coronavirus business.

36 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Yes ,I have reconciled myself to a disastrous No Deal Brexit,with all blame being directed at the other 27.

...the other 27 Ministers or the other 27 Member states? :D

@Delayed: quite clearly, Windrush taught the HO nothing. Nor some members of the British public, by the looks of your reply. There's a surprise.

Edited by L00b

9 minutes ago, L00b said:

...the other 27 Ministers or the other 27 Member states? :D

@Delayed: quite clearly, Windrush taught the HO nothing. Nor some members of the British public, by the looks of your reply. There's a surprise.

Just stating the facts that are quite clearly available to those that wish to research them.

8 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

Would you mind expanding on that, L00b?  That's not a story that I have been following.

The Europeans will reciprocate. This will keep the underclass from travelling I suppose. Won't affect me or my family so not too bothered. 

21 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

Would you mind expanding on that, L00b?  That's not a story that I have been following.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-52701843

The immigration bill repeals EU freedom of movement and introduces the new framework - though not exact details - for who can come to live in the UK.

I'm confident that you are not one of the plentiful simpletons, who understand this Bill to apply to EU27 immigrants only, and that you can instead work out perfectly well what "repealing EU freedom of movement" means for British people as well   :)

No more studying in the EU27

No more retiring in sunnier parts of the EU27

No more moving to Berlin and enterprising

No more moving to Amsterdam and creating a rock band

No more season-working in the Alps and on the Med

No more <...>

unless you are very comfortably cash-positive (and let's all keep in mind where the economy is, and likely to be in the coming years, with a sprinkling of Brexity contraction on top from 2021).

The deed is now done, so these are rights that you, your kids, your grandkids <etc.> have now lost.

But the fabled 1% keeps theirs of course, courtesy of their wallets.

12 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

The Europeans will reciprocate. This will keep the underclass from travelling I suppose. Won't affect me or my family so not too bothered. 

Don’t mistake "freedom of travel" for "freedom of establishment".

It won’t affect me either, but I’m not sure that, after trying facts and reason (‘Project Fear!’) and derision (‘elitists!’), alright-Jack-ism works any better on Brexiteers 😐

Edited by L00b

It's happening, under cover of the Coronavirus pandemic:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/full-list-of-mps-who-voted-to-lower-our-food-standards-during-the-covid-pandemic/26/05/

"In a bid to make the UK market pliable for a post-Brexit US trade deal, protections of minimum food safety standards have evaporated, as have

safeguards for Britain’s farmers"

31 minutes ago, Magilla said:

It's happening, under cover of the Coronavirus pandemic:

(...)

That, and a lot more beside, where the post-Brexit negotiations (with the EU27 and others) are concerned.

But Covid mismanagement is proving such an expedient dead cat to bounce daily.

So I don't bother much about this thread much, for now. Frost's letter (completely bypassed by this thread) was mildly amusing, likewise the UK's customs (un-)preparations, and lately Macron's bid for EU high-tech automotive crown at the expense of the UK, but hardly worth raising on here.

There's more interest in witnessing the unending frog-slow-boiling in action for the past 4+ years, and awaiting the eventual and inevitable backlash against the Brexit architects (which, entirely non-coincidentally, are the *exact same* people now in government, including short-sighted Dom). Endlessly fascinating.

Edited by L00b

The olive branch has been offered by EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier  with a one or two year Brexit extension if needed. Considering the current dire economic circumstances surely it would be wise to accept it and buy some time.

36 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

The olive branch has been offered by EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier  with a one or two year Brexit extension if needed. Considering the current dire economic circumstances surely it would be wise to accept it and buy some time.

Yes but only if we contribute more funds.  This on the same day when the EU has had to stump up €750 billion, as part of a rescue plan, prime to plicate the southern EU states that we already in a financial mess, even before COVID-19. 

Thankfully, the PM has knocked the idea on the head. 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1287696/Brexit-news-boris-johnson-michel-barnier-letter-ian-blackford-transition-extension/amp#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

Edited by Baron99

13 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

Frost has since confirmed (yesterday) that the UK will neither request an extension, nor agree to any extension offerred by the EU. That takes you back to square one.

Since any extension would be fully contingent on a continuation of payments to the EU budget by the UK for its duration (no free cake, lads), i.e. political kryptonite for Johnson and chums, I'm minded to lend credence to Frost's "threat". The trajectory is still no deal, same as it ever was once the ultras managed to seize power in 2017.

That €750bn EU stimulus package? It's by the EU27 (France & Germany, mostly) for the EU27. A UK contribution post-01 Jan 21 isn't costed in it: the UK hasn't been an EU member since 01 Feb 20, and can't be relied upon to sign on an extension-with-contribution.

As for economics arguments...

Remainers: Leaving the EU without a deal will kill our economy.

Brexiters: crystal ball-polishers, Project Fear, sovereignty.

Same Remainers: Lockdown prevents unnecessary deaths.

Same Brexiters: Lockdown will kill our economy.

:lol:

Edited by L00b

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Frost has since confirmed (yesterday) that the UK will neither request an extension, nor agree to any extension offerred by the EU. That takes you back to square one.

Since any extension would be fully contingent on a continuation of payments to the EU budget by the UK for its duration (no free cake, lads), i.e. political kryptonite for Johnson and chums, I'm minded to lend credence to Frost's "threat". The trajectory is still no deal, same as it ever was once the ultras managed to seize power in 2017.

That €750bn EU stimulus package? It's by the EU27 (France & Germany, mostly) for the EU27. A UK contribution post-01 Jan 21 isn't costed in it: the UK hasn't been an EU member since 01 Feb 20, and can't be relied upon to sign on an extension-with-contribution.

As for economics arguments...

Remainers: Leaving the EU without a deal will kill our economy.

Brexiters: crystal ball-polishers, Project Fear, sovereignty.

Same Remainers: Lockdown prevents unnecessary deaths.

Same Brexiters: Lockdown will kill our economy.

:lol:

Looks like you'll have to pay for your own,

"THE EUROPEAN UNION's staggering reliance on the UK was laid bare after new statistics revealed that, after Brexit, the bloc's economy would reduce as if 18 member states all left at the same time."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1286284/Eu-news-uk-exit-brexit-member-states-trade-GDP-eurozone-EU28-latest-spt

2 hours ago, retep said:

Looks like you'll have to pay for your own,

"THE EUROPEAN UNION's staggering reliance on the UK was laid bare after new statistics revealed that, after Brexit, the bloc's economy would reduce as if 18 member states all left at the same time."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1286284/Eu-news-uk-exit-brexit-member-states-trade-GDP-eurozone-EU28-latest-spt

Did you even read the post you just quoted, in that frothy haste? 

Didn't I write that the EU27 was doing exactly that, paying for their own?

As for 'staggering reliance', I'm happy to sit back and count the next 33 days down: we'll see then, who's "staggeringly" reliant on who.

Tic-toc-tic-toc...heh, you know that sound well, by now.