Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Guest makapaka

Never has there been such an act of self harm.

little tiny island - making it harder to get stuff delivered to it. Madness.

12 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Never has there been such an act of self harm.

little tiny island - making it harder to get stuff delivered to it. Madness.

Wonder how it's going to work out for the car industry where parts are sent back and forth between the EU and the UK. Betting the manafacturers insist on the European standards for anything for the export market (nearly 55% of production in 2020 ).

https://www.statista.com/statistics/298970/destination-of-cars-exported-from-the-united-kingdom/

Here's M&S chief, Sir Archie Norman's view & its difficult not to agree with his assessment of the "Fandango of bureaucracy" with products requiring 720 pages of documentation, particularly as he states that the UK has HIGHER food standards than required by the EU & nothing has changed in those standards since we left the EU. 

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nick-ferrari/brexit-eu-pointless-bureaucracy-marks-and-spencer/

As Norman also states, "What we've discovered is that the European rules for governing borders at the customs union are really totally out of date and not suited for the purpose they're designed for." 

Eventually, the intransigence of politicians will be sorted out by big business. 

14 hours ago, West 77 said:

Yes rumour has it that the third World are starting a fund raising campaign titled "Do they know it's Christmas" in order to raise money for the starving people in the Crookes area of Sheffield.

Standard Brexiteer response, whatever it is, brush it off with a glib comment. Lost your job, lost your business, empty shelves, mobile roaming charges, visa charges....nowt to do with Brexit. 

Untrustworthy French, little Belgium, we won the war, we liberated your country and you should be eternally grateful etc etc. 

Edited by Bargepole23

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Here's M&S chief, Sir Archie Norman's view & its difficult not to agree with his assessment of the "Fandango of bureaucracy" with products requiring 720 pages of documentation, particularly as he states that the UK has HIGHER food standards than required by the EU & nothing has changed in those standards since we left the EU. 

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nick-ferrari/brexit-eu-pointless-bureaucracy-marks-and-spencer/

As Norman also states, "What we've discovered is that the European rules for governing borders at the customs union are really totally out of date and not suited for the purpose they're designed for." 

Eventually, the intransigence of politicians will be sorted out by big business. 

Not in the UK for a while yet, which is the fundamental problem.

In the meantime, I can’t see European big businesses, who can export anything and everything they want to the UK without checks until July next year, whilst standard EU import/customs rules applicable to third party country (ie UK since 1/1/21) goods insulate them from UK competition, exerting any pressure on EU27 governments or Brussels to change the current situation.

19 hours ago, Frans2755 said:

Belgium was not neutral at the beginning of the second world war. Belgium in 1944 was liberated by Polish and Canadian troops as was my home country The Netherlands.. I don't see what it has to do with Brexit but it seems to fullfill your sense of superiority.

Let me tell you about my great uncle in Assche.

Many of these casualties were sustained by ‘A’ Squadron in the battle for Assche in Belgium on 18 May 1940 of which Major J. S. F. Murray’s A Short History of the 15th/19th The King’s Royal Hussars states: ‘ The enemy had entered the town in strength with tanks and anti-tank guns'.

By 2 p.m. Major Cockayne-Frith with Squadron H.Q. and the 3rd, 4th and 5th Troops were surrounded in the town. The Squadron Leader ordered 2nd Troop, which was not involved in Assche, to “go home”, as it could do no good. In fact, the Troop made a gallant attempt to go to his rescue, but without success.

On the outskirts of the town Squadron H.Q. came under heavy anti-tank fire, Major Cockayne-Frith and his crew being killed. Captain Mytton with the rest of the force tried to fight his way through the town and after 20 minutes succeeded in retaking nearly half of it. But by that time every Armoured Fighting Vehicle had been knocked out and the fighting developed into individual action by small bodies of survivors.

Such a situation could not last long, and the whole force were either killed or taken prisoner, most of the latter being wounded.nmdwna.jpg

He was one of those who stayed back in Assche in 1940, defending Belgium. He somehow survived the battle only to die in Stalag XXA in Poland of the euphemistic "heart malady".  God only knows how he really died. He was 29.

Before he died in that POW camp, his brother in law, my grandfather, fought from the Normandy beaches and liberated Belgium. Thankfully he lived, but PTSD is a terrible thing. I have much to be grateful for. Perhaps you do too.

There's no huge point being made here except that we should all be grateful for what many people from many nations sacrificed. Perhaps we can pay them better homage than knocking spots off each other about something as trivial as blind allegiances to political constructs. 

You're welcome. :) 

Edited by Tony

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Let me tell you about my great uncle in Assche.

He was one of those who stayed back in Assche in 1940, defending Belgium. He somehow survived the battle only to die in Stalag XXA in Poland of the euphemistic "heart malady".  God only knows how he really died. He was 29.

Before he died in that POW camp, his brother in law, my grandfather, fought from the Normandy beaches and liberated Belgium. Thankfully he lived, but PTSD is a terrible thing. I have much to be grateful for. Perhaps you do too.

There's no huge point being made here except that we should all be grateful for what many people from many nations sacrificed. Perhaps we can pay them better homage than knocking spots off each other about something as trivial as blind allegiances to political constructs. 

You're welcome. :) 

I really appreciate your post, as we say here Chapeau.

As usual Westy likes to wander down his byways.

Remainers accept democracy in the same way as everyone has to in this country but that doesn’t mean that anyone immediately changes their opinion.

If that was the case then we would all now have a Conservative outlook.(Heaven forfend)

So we accept the status quo,but 6 months into Brexit we have some of the realities which he fails to acknowledge.

Not only are the shops stocked but they are “overstocked” whatever that means.Better order more shelving units.

The truth is that barriers and hurdles have been created to our detriment as we retreat into our sceptres isle.

Guest sibon
49 minutes ago, West 77 said:

A rather amusing comment about the sausages.  In England they have sell by dates which is not the same as a date when the food is out of date.

The ones that you posted a picture of have a Use By date on them.

In case of doubt, that’s the date that they should be used by.

The rest of your post is even less accurate and appallingly rude. 

33 minutes ago, West 77 said:

A rather amusing comment about the sausages.  In England they have sell by dates which is not the same as a date when the food is out of date. I stand for supporting a democratic choice my own people made which was to leave the EU.  The fact that the supermarket had lots of fresh food reduced is evidence there was no shortage of supply or stock of fresh food in the supermarket. In fact the supermarket was over stocked.  Remainers who don't support democracy are trying to give the impression there is a shortage of food in English supermarkets which is not true.

Norway sends Britain a  big Christmas tree  every year which is sited in Trafalgar Square as a thank you for Britain helping them in World War 2.  Would you like me to send you my address so you can post me some Belgium chocolates as a thank you for all the help Britain gave the Belgium and Dutch people during the second World war?

Yes  it is a very nice gesture of the Norwegian people. Why would I want to send you any chocolates, what was your personnal price you paid in the war. Or is it your way to getting some free goodies to go with your nearly out of date sausages.

I agree that we should still show our repect to the allied soldiers. My little contribution has been from 1992 to 2005 to recover 164 Britisch and commonwealth soldiers , French soldiers and German soldiers from the Boezinge battlefield. Which is north of the town of Ieper.

The area has now become the industrial estate but before the building started we spent over a period of 13 years recovering these men for a decent burial. Al this was done with volunteers and government help.

Every day I drive down to my village and  pas Mendingham Military Cemetary where more 2000 British soldiers lie. When I drove down a little while ago i thought what they would think of a person like you.

And then last but certainly not least we pay our resect at Le Paradis. This place really brought home some terrible truths about the war.

It is a five minute drive into France a small farm where the massacre occurred on the 28th of may. The dunkerque retreat. I think it was 72 soldiers of the Norfolk regiment surrenderred and ech single one of them was murderred. The regiment responsable was the SS

Totenkoph .

You are going to think now what has the war to do with all of this.

Actually everything.

In 1944 the Benelux was formed and is active today.  Belgium, The freed part of the Netherlands and luxemburg formed a common market.  It is very succesfull, with a total population of 29 million it has a GDP¨of 75% of the UK.

Then after the war Winston Churchull came to Den Haag and came up with the brilliant idea that instead of kicking the **** out of each other we should trade with each other. Not many years after the eec was born with the orriginal six countries. France, Italy, West Germany and the Benelux countries. The  EU is a trade project and very much a peace prroject

Now you obviously think Brexit is your saviour and the road to a new global britain, and  we are the stupid interfering foreigners .

I respect your  vote and you will have to live with it.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

I’m off topic.  Well said Tony.  We should never forget those brave men.

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

You still don't get it and apparently neither does the M&S bloke. The EU aren't going to change their border checking regime every time the UK changes it's internal standards. We have said we won't stay in regulatory alignment with the EU, the EU have acknowledged that and set their border checks accordingly. The fact that we haven't yet got round to changing our standards is irrelevant. The EU have prepared for our future relationship. Brexiters need to stop hankering for the one we had as members.