Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute.

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by Vaati

18 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It's rather amusing you're posting a link to comments by the Norwegian PM rather than  a link to comments from the UK Government. If the majority of the electorate had wanted all trade agreements to remain the same then they would have voted to remain in the EU.  Kenneth Clark introduced a motion for the UK to remain in the customs  union during Theresa May's time as PM which was narrowly defeated in the rogue corrupt parliament.  The rogue parliament were only interested in blocking Brexit all together which is why Kenneth Clark's motion was defeated.  As a strong supporter of leaving the EU I could have lived with the UK remaining in the customs union providing their was an option for future elected Governments to pull out if they desired.  The UK have a massive trade deficit which means  the UK are not really losing anything by going it alone with making our own trade deals.  Brexit is an opportunity for the UK to reduce the trade deficit and future Governments should introduce policies to help achieve this. 

The UK government lies all the time. Big, fat, checkable lies. All the time.

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Only amusing in the sense that whatever is said by UK Government Ministers is valued so little by its citizens because they are known as pathological liars, incompetent buffoons or venal sleazebags.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

The UK government lies all the time. Big, fat, checkable lies. All the time.

And what bits are lies or untruths?

News story

UK secures new deal with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein

The agreement’s cutting-edge digital provisions make it the most advanced free trade deal signed by the three countries to date

Department for International Trade and Ranil Jayawardena MP
Published
4 June 2021

s300_Flight-Path-World-govuk.jpg  

The United Kingdom has secured a new trade deal with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein that will boost critical British sectors like digital, slash tariffs on high-quality British food and farm products and supports jobs in every corner of our country.

The deal agreed in principle today (4th June) is the first time these three European countries have included dedicated chapters on digital trade and small businesses in any trade deal, making it the most advanced they have done to date.

Cutting-edge digital provisions mean when British firms export to Norway and Iceland, they will be able to benefit from commitments that limit unnecessary paperwork. Electronic documents, contracts and signatures will allow goods to move seamlessly across borders, saving businesses time and money.

The agreement significantly cuts tariffs as high as 277% for exporters to Norway of West Country Farmhouse Cheddar, Orkney Scottish Island Cheddar, Traditional Welsh Caerphilly, and Yorkshire Wensleydale cheese. There are also tariff reductions and quotas on pork, poultry and other goods. UK wines and spirits including Scotch Whisky will also now be recognised in Norway and Iceland.

Reduced import tariffs on shrimps, prawns and haddock will reduce costs for UK fish processing, helping support some 18,000 jobs in that industry in Scotland, East Yorkshire and Northern Lincolnshire.

International Trade Secretary Liz Truss said:

Today’s deal will be a major boost for our trade with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, growing an economic relationship already worth £21.6 billion, while supporting jobs and prosperity in all four nations at home.

International Trade Minister, Ranil Jayawardena said:

This deal shows that the United Kingdom will continue to be a trade partner of choice, as we set the global trade agenda in areas like e-commerce and climate change.

More trade and more investment will drive growth and support jobs in every corner of our country.

The agreement means British businesses can bid for more government contracts in partner countries worth some £200 million a year.

The deal will allow caps on the charges mobile operators are allowed to charge each other for international mobile roaming, a world-first in an FTA, keeping costs low for holiday makers and business travellers.

It also allows high-skilled professionals to enter Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein for business purposes, means faster and simpler visa processes and includes professional qualification recognition – so nurses, lawyers, vets and other professionals will have a clear route to apply to have their qualification recognised to work in the partner countries.

The deal means clearer rules for financial services firms that ensure they cannot be treated unfairly, and includes the most ambitious commitment to support investment ever secured by the UK in an FTA, enabling investors to appoint preferred candidates for senior management without being limited by nationality and residency criteria.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-secures-new-deal-with-norway-iceland-and-liechtenstein

Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland eh? Swimming with the big boys now. Don't suppose you've had any thoughts on the trade deal with Australia including trade courts that allow Aussie businesses to sue UK governments if they pass laws which negatively affect their profits, thereby surrendering sovereignty? (Don't worry, it's rhetorical, you don't have to embarrass yourself by answering)

9 hours ago, whiteowl said:

Good brexit news!!!! :o

We've secured a trading deal with the international powerhouses Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein!

The only downside is that it's not as good a deal as we had as part of the EU* - doh!

*according to Norway's PM

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/norways-pm-announces-trade-deal-155044883.html

ooh, I know roughly where two of those three are on a map 😁

Posted (edited)

When you are literally told by world leaders "This deal is worse than what you had" but you ignore them and continue to rant.

Edited by geared

Isn't 70 percent of our trade with the EU.

Presumably the EU guests speak on behalf of the 300 million others from outside the G7  European states.

Saw Borris's claims via northern island  ,he's shortly going to have to give up the bluster

I can understand why Boris appeals to voters, hence he has a chunky majority. Many regard him as a bit of a cad, but with the character and intellect to see us through any of life's little problems. Such as Covid or Brexit, etc. 

But being PM is an unforgiving task. When I was working, I came across what I called "whoosh, whoosh" managers. Any attempts to point out flaws in their executive instructions were greeted by "whoosh, whoosh" - just get it done. They invariably didn't last long.

In his determination to "Get Brexit done", he adopted the above principle to the UK/Ireland border conundrum, signed up to a fudge with a Mister Micawber like belief that something would turn up to sort out any working difficulties. Well the difficulties have arrived, and nothing has turned up to resolve them. 

I am not a big fan of Brussels, but in this case they can say, with justification - this was the agreement, it has your signature on the bottom - honour it. So Boris is flapping and shouting but he has been backed into a corner, and is ankle deep in a mess of his own creation. Soon it will be knee deep, waist deep, neck deep...... 

The only solution I can see is a long shot. The reunification of Ireland, and then Ireland leaves the EU and joins a customs union with the UK, both with a strong bond to the USA. It may sound daft, but stranger things have happened.

But by then Boris would be toast. 

2 hours ago, geared said:

Some good news, is it really that easy that they can thrash it out so quickly over dinner?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57478412

I'm glad it wasn't Australian food - there's pesticides and hormone growth producers that we've banned in theirs.  But will they help us produce better cricketers? Fingers (all 14 of them) crossed!

On 05/06/2021 at 18:45, The Joker said:

ooh, I know roughly where two of those three are on a map 😁

I know what two of those are big at too, fishing

wonder if they will be wanting to buy our fish from our new hard fought bigger, better fishing fleet we are going to have?

or will they be expecting us to buy their fish?

hmmmmm

4 hours ago, geared said:

Some good news, is it really that easy that they can thrash it out so quickly over dinner?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57478412

Makes the chances of reduced checks from the N.I.Protocol somewhat less likely though :?