Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

49 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

the lack of distribution drivers is nothing to do with brexit, most are uk citizens, i think what you are getting at is EU drivers that bring goods into and out of the uk that may have reduced, as for farmers if thats the case we should make the unemployed get off their backsides to harvest. the fishermen i will give you they have been shafted!

That simply isn't true. There were loads of EU drivers living and working in the UK for UK companies. You voted to turf them out.

That said, a shortage of HGV drivers has been on the horizon for long before 2016, and EU immigration plugged the gap. Do you think the rest of the EU has a driver shortage?

1 hour ago, ab6262 said:

the lack of distribution drivers is nothing to do with brexit, most are uk citizens, i think what you are getting at is EU drivers that bring goods into and out of the uk that may have reduced, as for farmers if thats the case we should make the unemployed get off their backsides to harvest. the fishermen i will give you they have been shafted!

Shortage of crop pickers,meat processors,HGV drivers,leisure industry workers.

Fishing industry sacrificed.

Project fear gets more fearsome by the day.

Xenophobic rabble rousing has much to answer for,and you dream that we have a pool of unemployed ready to step into the breach.

None of the Brexit supporting Cabinet have a clue what to do other than hang on to their jobs by whatever means possible.

You are still supporting a project that will negatively impact on much (a majority) of our population including the children and kids who had no voice.

What a legacy.

5 hours ago, carosio said:

Back in May, the FT quoted a driver recruitment agency as regards the main reasons for the driver shortage 

1. Ending of recruitment from EU,

2. cancellation of 28,000 driving tests due to pandemic,

3. drivers returning home due to pandemic and IR35.

another reason may be that people dont like the job any more??? multi drops in cramped towns and roadways ,long hours , time away from family, cramped sleeping out in cabs, unhealthy and dangerous break areas???, i drove hgv s in my youth 35 years ago it wasnt particularly fun then and i doubt its much fun now.

1 hour ago, ab6262 said:

another reason may be that people dont like the job any more??? multi drops in cramped towns and roadways ,long hours , time away from family, cramped sleeping out in cabs, unhealthy and dangerous break areas???, i drove hgv s in my youth 35 years ago it wasnt particularly fun then and i doubt its much fun now.

yes of course, 100.000 drivers suddenly decided they didnt like the job a couple of months ago :rolleyes:

stop digging

own your mess

1 hour ago, ab6262 said:

I think that's a fair point. Break areas - particularly cheap ones - are few and far between too. My mate used to drive HGVs and wild horses wouldn't get him back in a cab.

Just now, melthebell said:

yes of course, 100.000 drivers suddenly decided they didnt like the job a couple of months ago :rolleyes:

stop digging

own your mess

Its been tight for a while, not much new blood going into the job. Which is why brexit is singularly unhelpful.

Just now, West 77 said:

Nonsense.  The pandemic has meant fewer HGV driver tests have taken place. Also the pandemic has increased the demand for flu vaccines meaning more flu vaccines need delivery. 

A mediocre wind up merchant speaks!

41 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Nonsense.  The pandemic has meant fewer HGV driver tests have taken place. Also the pandemic has increased the demand for flu vaccines meaning more flu vaccines need delivery. 

where did the 100.000 HGV drivers go so quickly for 100.000 driver tests to be needed so fast?

one minute were fine then suddenly we arent, not having a test means you arent ready to be a hgv driver, where did the ones we had go before the ones going for tests were ready?

Guest sibon
48 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

A mediocre wind up merchant speaks!

You’re too kind.

Really, you are too kind.

52 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It’s all going wrong Westy and it’s your fault.

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

We'd still be short 72k (approx) drivers if they all passed first time and were given driving jobs despite having zero HGV experience. How many EU drivers did you send home?

17 hours ago, melthebell said:

stop digging

own your mess

where do you get that number from? 100,000 is a big number

15 hours ago, melthebell said:

where did the 100.000 HGV drivers go so quickly for 100.000 driver tests to be needed so fast?

one minute were fine then suddenly we arent, not having a test means you arent ready to be a hgv driver, where did the ones we had go before the ones going for tests were ready?

yes where did 100,000 drivers go??? no way these are all eu drivers even if your figure is correct.

1 hour ago, ab6262 said:

where do you get that number from? 100,000 is a big number

yes where did 100,000 drivers go??? no way these are all eu drivers even if your figure is correct.

The news are usually reporting between 40.000 and 100.000 as a shortfall, I've seen 100.000 bandied around a lot