Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute.

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by Vaati

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Sorry for your loss.

I'd hope another PM wouldn't have locked down as late in March 2020, despite what was happening in italy. I'd have hoped he'd have stop flights coming over from Italy and Spain earlier. I'd have hoped he'd helped care homes more and not just ship out elderly patients with covid to care homes who didn't have adequate PPE. I'd have hoped he'd listen to scientists in September about a new variant rather than wait till November to do anything about it. I'd have hoped he had put India on the red list at the same time as Pakistan rather than waiting 17 days because he wanted a trade deal. That's for starters.

This isnt "Crystal ball" stuff. Experts, the media - loads were telling him - even within his own cabinet and he ignored it.

So yeah, pretty much anyone but Boris who was too busy ******* about with briefing rooms and wallpaper.  

thank you.

well you could hope for all the rest but do you really think in an unprecedented situation anyone could do more??? he was following science advice, i think he actually went too far. i am no fan of lockdowns or masks i dont think they have made any difference.

as for briefing rooms and wallpaper thats just spin to damage from the left.

14 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

thank you.

well you could hope for all the rest but do you really think in an unprecedented situation anyone could do more??? he was following science advice, i think he actually went too far. i am no fan of lockdowns or masks i dont think they have made any difference.

as for briefing rooms and wallpaper thats just spin to damage from the left.

I don't need to hope the rest. Other countries did it, and unfortunately he listened to the science only a bit more than you. Nobody is a fan of lockdowns or masks - unless youre a mate of hancock or patel becausr then youre a big fan of them because you can make a shed load of money off the back of it.

The left aren't buying wallpaper for downing street and the left aren't refurbing briefing rooms at great expense - boris is. 

52 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

New checks on the Irish Sea border to be brought in :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57133682

Brought to you by Boris "There will be no border down the Irish Sea… over my dead body." Johnson.

Just seen the DUPs Ian Paisley on the Daily Politics talking about it, what a joke. You have to wonder when someone who's directly involved could be this ill-informed.

Even Damian Green had to point out he was lying at one point! :?

You'd think someone would ask him why he's upset with something his party supported and helped get over the line!

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

Just seen the DUPs Ian Paisley on the Daily Politics talking about it, what a joke. You have to wonder when someone who's directly involved could be this ill-informed.

Even Damian Green had to point out he was lying at one point! :?

You'd think someone would ask him why he's upset with something his party supported and helped get over the line!

The DUP supported Brexit but don't support the Northern Ireland protocol.  

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The DUP supported Brexit but don't support the Northern Ireland protocol.  

...now they realise what it involves and that Boris' promises were empty.

Edited by Magilla

17 hours ago, Magilla said:

...now they realise what it involves and that Boris' promises were empty.

It's still early days.  Changes can be made  to the protocol either by negotiation or unilaterally should the UK Government see fit.  Northern Ireland will get a chance to decide the future of the protocol in 2024 assuming it's still in place.  When Boris became Prime Minister he inherited a mess that Theresa May made in her negotiations with the EU regarding Northern Ireland.  Boris got rid of the backstop.  The important thing is that the Northern Ireland situation didn't prevent the UK from leaving the EU thanks to Boris and democracy is the big winner.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It's still early days.  Changes can be made  to the protocol either by negotiation or unilaterally should the UK Government see fit.

Nope, it's a legally binding international agreement. Changes cannot be made unilaterally.

The DUP and the governments claim that it undermines the Belfast agreement is nonsense, doesn't hold water... that's from one of the authors of the GFA!

As with the EU ambassadors diplomatic status, the US will be having a word...

Northern Ireland will get a chance to decide the future of the protocol in 2024 assuming it's still in place.

...and the DUP aren't happy about that either, a simple majority... which they'll lose... and if the assembly isn't sitting, the protocol remains.

Regardless, there will be a border, whether that's on land or in the sea.

When Boris became Prime Minister he inherited a mess that Theresa May made in her negotiations with the EU regarding Northern Ireland.

Aye, May made such a mess of it she solved *all* of these problems! ;)

Boris got rid of the backstop.  The important thing is that the Northern Ireland situation didn't prevent the UK from leaving the EU thanks to Boris and democracy is the big winner.

Unless you live in NI, in which case you've been pretty much ignored, and repeatedly lied to.

Edited by Magilla

Apparently, some of our farmers, who have close friends in Westminster, dont like free trade!

Ministers have been involved in a “ferocious” row over the possible terms of a new UK-Australia deal, amid warnings British farming could suffer “irreversible damage” as a result of the eventual agreement.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/australia-deal-liz-truss-brexit-b1849297.html

The Northern Ireland game goes on it would seem that Lord Frost no longer likes his own agreement as he wants to get rid of the Protocol allegedly been talking to Paramilitary groups who are less than happy with the sea border. This could be interesting and very likely upset Washington and blame game towards the EU  will be at full blast. 

The thing is they are playing an dangerous game with people lives you know the everyday people like you and I. It took years to get the IRA and the Paramilitaries to even sit in the same room let alone talk to each other. All this to please a few hard right  MPs in the government who think they can play God with other people's lives. 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, GabrielC said:

The Northern Ireland game goes on it would seem that Lord Frost no longer likes his own agreement as he wants to get rid of the Protocol allegedly been talking to Paramilitary groups who are less than happy with the sea border. This could be interesting and very likely upset Washington and blame game towards the EU  will be at full blast. 

The thing is they are playing an dangerous game with people lives you know the everyday people like you and I. It took years to get the IRA and the Paramilitaries to even sit in the same room let alone talk to each other. All this to please a few hard right  MPs in the government who think they can play God with other people's lives. 

If we lived in a decent country Frost would still be boring his fellow intoxicated mates in the bar of a Home Counties golf club not screwing up the future of the country.

Edited by Mister Gee

In news that will surprise nobody - Government Didn't Expect Brexit To Be So Disruptive For Northern Ireland, David Frost Admits

Frost, the Cabinet Office minister who led the UK's trade talks with the European Union, on Monday told the European Security Committee that post-Brexit disruption to trade between Great Britain and Northern Ireland had been greater than what the government had expected.

"They probably have a bigger chilling effect than we thought on GB businesses wanting to move goods into Northern Ireland," he said about new border checks, adding: "This is one of the problems that is underlying some of the unrest and political developments we are seeing in Northern Ireland."

In other Brexit related news, Nigel Farage has been on a speaking tour in the USA with free tickets. It hasn't been going very well

Small update - 14 people actually attended. The other 6 were part of the Farage group.

In unrelated news 2981 people registered for the event but I assume they must have had some trouble getting there.