Jump to content

Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute.

 

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by Vaati

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The UK again having more freedom to set our own laws and punishments is a positive consequence of Brexit.

 

Anything to avoid condemning the lawless mob who are rioting on the streets in the UK, eh?

It's you who have tried to derail the thread. Not going to let you though. I must admit, I initially thought it would be the Republicans who the Tories were going to shaft on the border question, given that the DUP propped up May's non-government, so I was pretty surprised when it turned out to be the Unionists. It was obvious then that they would be livid - having bailed out the Tories, they were hung out to dry. Not the first people to be dropped by Johnson as soon as they'd served their purpose, so more fool them, but it's completely predictable that the people who put their faith in "their" politicians would feel betrayed, because that's what's happened. Maybe the UK govt figured the nationalist paramilitaries would cause more grief so decided against the hard border alternative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, West 77 said:

Now the UK has left the EU future governments should look at the possibility of bringing back the death penalty and the birch.

We'd have to leave more than just the EU for that to become even a remote possibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Delbow said:

It's you who have tried to derail the thread. Not going to let you though. I must admit, I initially thought it would be the Republicans who the Tories were going to shaft on the border question, given that the DUP propped up May's non-government, so I was pretty surprised when it turned out to be the Unionists. It was obvious then that they would be livid - having bailed out the Tories, they were hung out to dry. Not the first people to be dropped by Johnson as soon as they'd served their purpose, so more fool them, but it's completely predictable that the people who put their faith in "their" politicians would feel betrayed, because that's what's happened. Maybe the UK govt figured the nationalist paramilitaries would cause more grief so decided against the hard border alternative.

Regardless of Brexit, continuing demographic changes in NI mean reunification with RoI is going to happen at some point in the future. No point in the brextremist elites sullying their perfect Brexit catering for people who won't even be members of the UK in the not too distant future. The fact that the Unionists helped them get their Brexit is of no consequence, the useful idiots have ceased to be useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, altus said:

Regardless of Brexit, continuing demographic changes in NI mean reunification with RoI is going to happen at some point in the future. No point in the brextremist elites sullying their perfect Brexit catering for people who won't even be members of the UK in the not too distant future. The fact that the Unionists helped them get their Brexit is of no consequence, the useful idiots have ceased to be useful.

And that's the nub in the context of the riots and threats. The Unionists have always been very needy of the British government's approval and a sense of a 'special' status, despite a lack of enthusiasm for them on the mainland. Since the Good Friday agreement and the loss of any special status, symbolism has taken on even greater importance for the diehard Loyalists, so the symbolism of a border in the Irish Sea is intolerable to them. I suspect they know the game is up, and that the days of NI existing independently of the Republic are numbered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

The freedom of movement of people between Ireland and NI has not been compromised, which is good. The freedom of movement of goods (and people attached to them) between NI and Great Britain has, which isn't good. Due to Covid this hasn't quite been realised it seems, but if you want to take the ferry to Cairnryan from Belfast you will now have to have the right documentation for (some of) the goods you are taking along, same for plane journeys. It is the same problem with goods going to the EU, except it's replicated within the country by this arrangement.

Thank you for your measured reply. At least some on here have the intelligence to understand what was said. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, apelike said:

Thank you for your measured reply. At least some on here have the intelligence to understand what was said. ;)

 

We understood your point, it was just the wrong point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Delbow said:

We understood your point, it was just the wrong point!

Indeed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Delbow said:

We understood your point, it was just the wrong point!

Sorry about that :) ,  which was the right one then?

Edited by apelike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Delbow said:

And that's the nub in the context of the riots and threats. The Unionists have always been very needy of the British government's approval and a sense of a 'special' status, despite a lack of enthusiasm for them on the mainland. Since the Good Friday agreement and the loss of any special status, symbolism has taken on even greater importance for the diehard Loyalists, so the symbolism of a border in the Irish Sea is intolerable to them. I suspect they know the game is up, and that the days of NI existing independently of the Republic are numbered.

The biggest mistake the Unionist politicians made was actually believing a single word coming out of Boris Johnson’s mouth. When he got on stage and said that NI wouldn’t be treated any different than the rest of the UK the DUP were still in a party mood after getting their bung from Theresa May.  They’ve been done up like a kipper and are currently blaming everyone but themselves for the mess they have helped to create. Hopefully they know now to never trust a Tory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

The biggest mistake the Unionist politicians made was actually believing a single word coming out of Boris Johnson’s mouth. When he got on stage and said that NI wouldn’t be treated any different than the rest of the UK the DUP were still in a party mood after getting their bung from Theresa May.  They’ve been done up like a kipper and are currently blaming everyone but themselves for the mess they have helped to create. Hopefully they know now to never trust a Tory.

"The Conservative and Unionist Party" 😂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Delbow said:

"The Conservative and Unionist Party" 😂

 

Always makes me laugh as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, West 77 said:

The UK again having more freedom to set our own laws and punishments is a positive consequence of Brexit.

 

Anything to avoid condemning the lawless mob who are rioting on the streets in the UK, eh?

I would argue there is a significant difference between condemning a 'lawless mob' and advocating for corporal punishment for that mob (and everybody else not deemed to uphold your high standards). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

X