Jump to content

Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute.

 

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by Vaati

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

And remember, when it comes to cheese, the UK produces far more varieties than France.  There's bound to be a variety of British cheese that could replace your favourite French variety? 

 

There's a stall in The Moor Market, that sells, I'd say, at least 30 varieties of British cheese.  Far more than you'd find in Sainsbury's supermarket on the other side of The Moor. 

Does it?

 

Presumably counting 27 different varieties of cheddar as 27 different cheeses.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_cheeses

 

whereas the French would class eg  Camembert as one cheese no matter the number of different varities.

 

Our local supermarkets all have specialist cheese counters stocking a good 50 plus varieties including a dozen or more from local farms- then we've another 30 plus in the serve yourself cool cabinets -both including a lot of goat and ewes milk cheeses.

 

Estimated to be at least 1,600 varieties in France.

 

http://www.socheese.fr/la-question/article/combien-la-france-compte-t-elle-de?lang=en

 

 

Edited by Longcol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Does it?

 

Presumably counting 27 different varieties of cheddar as 27 different cheeses.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_cheeses

 

whereas the French would class eg  Camembert as one cheese no matter the number of different varities.

 

Our local supermarkets all have specialist cheese counters stocking a good 50 plus varieties including a dozen or more from local farms- then we've another 30 plus in the serve yourself cool cabinets -both including a lot of goat and ewes milk cheeses.

 

Estimated to be at least 1,600 varieties in France.

 

http://www.socheese.fr/la-question/article/combien-la-france-compte-t-elle-de?lang=en

 

 

Well next time you're over from France, pop in The Moor Market & find out. 

 

No matter how many cheeses you have locally, the fact remains that Britain still producesfar more varieties than France. 

 

And don't get me started on award winning wines, especially the sparkling whites, which have been trouncing their French counterparts for some years now. 

https://www.decanter.com/decanter-world-wine-awards/top-10-english-wines-445642/

 

Even French wine producers bought land in Kent years ago, recognising the growing English wine industry, the quality of the soil & the fact that as the climate is warming, the French wine industry faces problems. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-kent-35060681

 

 

 

Edited by Baron99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Well next time you're over from France, pop in The Moor Market & find out. 

 

No matter how many cheeses you have locally, the fact remains that Britain still producesfar more varieties than France. 

 

And don't get me started on award winning wines, especially the sparkling whites, which have been trouncing their French counterparts for some years now. 

https://www.decanter.com/decanter-world-wine-awards/top-10-english-wines-445642/

 

Not proven re: cheese - did you read the links in my post? ps do you remember the cheese stall in Orchard Square about 30 years ago and what a revelation it was at the time.

 

Sparkling wines (and other types) - the top French producers don't enter most competitions - they don't need to - they can sell their bottles for silly money - we're talking hundreds of pounds a bottle.

Edited by Longcol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Well next time you're over from France, pop in The Moor Market & find out. 

 

No matter how many cheeses you have locally, the fact remains that Britain still producesfar more varieties than France. 

 

And don't get me started on award winning wines, especially the sparkling whites, which have been trouncing their French counterparts for some years now. 

https://www.decanter.com/decanter-world-wine-awards/top-10-english-wines-445642/

 

Even French wine producers bought land in Kent years ago, recognising the growing English wine industry, the quality of the soil & the fact that as the climate is warming, the French wine industry faces problems. 

 

 

 

Absolutely staggering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Absolutely staggering.

It is staggering that someone claims the French wine industry faces problems due to warming when the output from the Med region in France (and Spain and Italy) is massive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The knots these people will tie themselves in to avoid taking responsibility for their own actions are incredible. 

Edited by Mister Gee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Longcol said:

It is staggering that someone claims the French wine industry faces problems due to warming when the output from the Med region in France (and Spain and Italy) is massive. 

Not a problem?  Really? 

https://time.com/5777459/france-wine-climate-change/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Not proven re: cheese - did you read the links in my post? ps do you remember the cheese stall in Orchard Square about 30 years ago and what a revelation it was at the time.

 

Sparkling wines (and other types) - the top French producers don't enter most competitions - they don't need to - they can sell their bottles for silly money - we're talking hundreds of pounds a bottle.

My bold. 

 

Well that's an understandable  action by French wine producers.  Why enter some prestigious competition if you know you're going to lose? 

 

30 YEARS AGO!!!! 

 

Well that Tattiger wine, grown from grapes in Kent  should soon be on sale? 

 

Wonder how that's going to sold / marketed?   Can't claim it to be French wine or the produce of France?  Can't even use the other kop out now 'Made in / Produce of the EU`? 

 

No it'll have to be' Made in England'.  Wonder how that will go down in Paris? 

 

Grapes trod by English toes. Maybe that's what's giving our wines their award winning taste? 

Edited by Baron99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

The knots these people will tie themselves in to avoid taking responsibility for their own actions are incredible. 

I can't believe the leavers are still trying to convince remainers that leaving the EU was a good idea. I don't post on the consequence threads anymore as such, but reading them does make me realise that they are desperately still trying to convince themselves.

 

Well at least the fish in UK waters will be happy.

41 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

The only problem facing the French wine industry at the moment is US tariffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

I can't believe the leavers are still trying to convince remainers that leaving the EU was a good idea. I don't post on the consequence threads anymore as such, but reading them does make me realise that they are desperately still trying to convince themselves.

 

Well at least the fish in UK waters will be happy.

The only problem facing the French wine industry at the moment is US tariffs.

I think you'll find its the other way round?  For many Remainers, the reality of the UK leaving still hasn't sunk in 4 & a half years down the line & they stil believe there's a fight to be had rather than use that energy to make the country achieve potential, they'd rather keep moaning in the hope of their 'I told you so' moment. 

 

Sometimes on this thread I find it incredible how some people can be so negative about their own country, that they'd take joy in seeing it fail, when ultimately if it fails, they will suffer as well. 

 

It's like a perverse form of schadenfreude in that they'd take pleasure in inflicting doom, gloom  & misfortune on themselves, in the hope of proving a point. 

Edited by Baron99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

I think you'll find its the other way round?  For many Remainers, the reality of the UK leaving still hasn't sunk in 4 & a half years down the line & they stil believe there's a fight to be had rather than use that energy to make the country achieve potential, they'd rather keep moaning in the hope of their 'I told you so' moment. 

 

Sometimes on this thread I find it incredible how some people can be so negative about their own country, that they'd take joy in seeing it fail, when ultimately if it fails, they will suffer as well. 

 

It's like a perverse form of schadenfreude, that they take pleasure in inflicting doom & gloom on themselves. 

We could pretend its a success. Will that help? 

 

We arent reporting things that are false, we are now reporting on direct consequences - as per the thread title- as they come in. At the moment its mainly fishing. In slightly less worse news, dpd will soon be restarting road transport back up, and Gibraltar has effectively entered the schengen agreement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

We could pretend its a success. Will that help? 

 

We arent reporting things that are false, we are now reporting on direct consequences - as per the thread title- as they come in. At the moment its mainly fishing. In slightly less worse news, dpd will soon be restarting road transport back up, and Gibraltar has effectively entered the schengen agreement.

Speaking of fishes and Crown depencies...the Falklands want a word, since it found out that Johnson's deal with the EU does not extend to UK Overseas Territories: 90% of its catch goes (went) to the EU and is now tariffed between 6% and 18% (Falklands meat that also goes (went) to the EU is now tariffed at 42%), besides the import-export red tape.

 

Hopefully they can 'do a Gibraltar' and quickly join Mercosur, with which the EU is close to signing a deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.