Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Quick question for the remainers. Just how important is the Good Friday agreement to the EU?

14 minutes ago, convert said:

Quick question for the remainers. Just how important is the Good Friday agreement to the EU?

As a remainer, not very by the look of it. L00b on another thread called it an emergency- from the EUs point of view it might be. Not sure from ours. 

Not a contract expert - and that's all this is - a contact despute.  

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

As a remainer, not very by the look of it. L00b on another thread called it an emergency- from the EUs point of view it might be. Not sure from ours. 

Not a contract expert - and that's all this is - a contact despute.  

Generally in a contract dispute it's not good form to trash the other side in press conferences if you wish to maintain future relations with them - it is at best amateurish and at worst self-harmingly vindictive 

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

As a remainer, not very by the look of it.

That said, still significantly more than the UK government !

Just now, KinderKid said:

Generally in a contract dispute it's not good form to trash the other side in press conferences if you wish to maintain future relations with them - it is at best amateurish and at worst self-harmingly vindictive 

Agreed, though that also sounds a lot like the UK's negotiating strategy throughout the entire Brexit process.

3 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Agreed, though that also sounds a lot like the UK's negotiating strategy throughout the entire Brexit process.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one

9 minutes ago, KinderKid said:

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one

No, it was exactly how we acted  - badly - breaking international law to suit. It was wrong. However, the EU - from my untrained eye -  are acting the same way, as their citizens are as desperate for a vaccine as we are.

According to the BBC they have - rightly - climbed down. 

4 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

No, it was exactly how we acted  - badly - breaking international law to suit. It was wrong. However, the EU - from my untrained eye -  are acting the same way, as their citizens are as desperate for a vaccine as we are.

According to the BBC they have - rightly - climbed down. 

We never actually broke international law - we had a provision that we may in very specific circumstances, which happily we never had to execute. 

By comparison the EU and member states have regularly broken international law - notably Germany last year extending their central bank's activities beyond its remit. 

This of course don't always make it "right" but it is disingenuous to say that Britain acted in bad faith c.f. the EU

Macron claims AstraZeneca vaccine is ineffective on older people hours  after it was approved for use on ALL adults by the EU.  Could it be because France’s Institute is ending development of its Covid vaccine after it failed its first trials or because of Brexit?  I’m going to say it’s because of Brexit.  

I don’t know how long he has left as President or how popular he is in France but if he is standing for re-election I hope the man is kicked out.  I’m expecting hundreds of immigrants crossing the channel this year when conditions improve with Macron supplying the boats.

People in the UK who are waiting for the vaccine should ignore his comments and listen to our own medical professionals.

29 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Macron claims AstraZeneca vaccine is ineffective on older people hours  after it was approved for use on ALL adults by the EU.  Could it be because France’s Institute is ending development of its Covid vaccine after it failed its first trials or because of Brexit?  I’m going to say it’s because of Brexit.  

I don’t know how long he has left as President or how popular he is in France but if he is standing for re-election I hope the man is kicked out.  I’m expecting hundreds of immigrants crossing the channel this year when conditions improve with Macron supplying the boats.

People in the UK who are waiting for the vaccine should ignore his comments and listen to our own medical professionals.

My bold. 

It's been mooted in the media, (including French media), that one of the possible candidates who may stand against Macron will be Michel Barnier? 

Edited by Baron99

If I were a a voter in the upcoming French presidential election, and it was a choice between Barnier and Le Pen, I would vote for Barnier. For all the confrontations over the last half-decade he seems a decent bloke, and someone with 'presence', whereas Macron is a lightweight. 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

It's been mooted in the media, (including French media), that one of the possible candidates who may stand against Macron will be Michel Barnier? 

In all my ignorance I don’t know much about  Barnier other than seeing him on TV during Brexit negotiations,  so I suppose the question is will he be a friend to this country or look for ways to continue to punish the UK for leaving the EU.

11 hours ago, convert said:

You could call me a remainer in 2016, but its only used now by Brexiteers that are  fixed in their views.

I am not even sure if I will be a Liberal Democrat after a period of reflection, but most Tories remain loyal to their deepset views.

11 hours ago, Magilla said:

That said, still significantly more than the UK government !

We think its ok to break international laws and norms, so what the EU do, we will just have to like it or lump it. Because Brexit has shown who has more clout.