Jump to content

Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute.

 

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by Vaati

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

What makes you think there is going to be an EU left to get back into.  That is certainly no guarantee.

 

Germany particuarly was absolutely desperate for us not to leave and the EU knew the potential hole we make as shown with their increasingly desperate and bullying tactics in the final stages of the negotiations. They knew full well that the UK was one of the top contributors other than Germany itself into the pot. Our leaving has left one hell of a shortfall which is unlikely to be made up to the same level by the remaining countries.

 

Look around some of the other members. Spain is absolutely broke and has impacted more damage since Covid because one of their prime incomes was tourism. Italy completely broke with a shambolic corrupt politics system worse on our own. Greece very well documented as to their troubles and completely broke.  France has quite a lot of political turmoil and a leader who is himself is now debating about the leaving the EU....

 

Add on the the several Eastern European  members whose GDP contribution is significantly less generally and it doesn't appear beyond the realms of possibility that the UK is just one of many bottles about to fall off the EU wall.

 

I suggest people start watching and observing carefully before they desperately want to leap back in.   Yes I am talking to you Sturgeon.

 

Don't get me wrong, I was a remainer I wasn't exactly thrilled we have left.  However I am well aware that we have started something. All those member states are  watching us very carefully.  Despite the obvious and inevitable rocky teething period which is going to come over the  years, if we don't have any major catastrophes others will certainly start to think about their own position in the EU.

 

Ultimately, this will change things dramatically and it may not end up looking like something people want to be part of for much longer.

Apart from the fact that I have never been an EC/EU supporter since Heath and company railroaded us into the original setup, you have read my thoughts exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, retep said:

It certainly does for the EU.

And us if we wish to export to it. 

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

What makes you think there is going to be an EU left to get back into.  That is certainly no guarantee.

 

Germany particuarly was absolutely desperate for us not to leave and the EU knew the potential hole we make as shown with their increasingly desperate and bullying tactics in the final stages of the negotiations. They knew full well that the UK was one of the top contributors other than Germany itself into the pot. Our leaving has left one hell of a shortfall which is unlikely to be made up to the same level by the remaining countries.

 

Look around some of the other members. Spain is absolutely broke and has impacted more damage since Covid because one of their prime incomes was tourism. Italy completely broke with a shambolic corrupt politics system worse on our own. Greece very well documented as to their troubles and completely broke.  France has quite a lot of political turmoil and a leader who is himself is now debating about the leaving the EU....

 

Add on the the several Eastern European  members whose GDP contribution is significantly less generally and it doesn't appear beyond the realms of possibility that the UK is just one of many bottles about to fall off the EU wall.

 

I suggest people start watching and observing carefully before they desperately want to leap back in.   Yes I am talking to you Sturgeon.

 

Don't get me wrong, I was a remainer I wasn't exactly thrilled we have left.  However I am well aware that we have started something. All those member states are  watching us very carefully.  Despite the obvious and inevitable rocky teething period which is going to come over the  years, if we don't have any major catastrophes others will certainly start to think about their own position in the EU.

 

Ultimately, this will change things dramatically and it may not end up looking like something people want to be part of for much longer.

If we do have major catastrophes? Given the brain trust that's running the country?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be on the wrong thread or partly so but having been in 2 of the major supermarkets over the weekend it was apparent that some shelves were empty or low on stocks,

I blame Brexit,because I can,but could be panic buying or staffing problems due to Coronavirus.Perhaps even the weather.

We shall see as border traffic returns to normal......perhaps 😁 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RJRB said:

This might be on the wrong thread or partly so but having been in 2 of the major supermarkets over the weekend it was apparent that some shelves were empty or low on stocks,

I blame Brexit,because I can,but could be panic buying or staffing problems due to Coronavirus.Perhaps even the weather.

We shall see as border traffic returns to normal......perhaps 😁 

Mt bold. 

 

 Which two supermarkets & where were they located? 

 

Which shelves were empty / what stocks or products were low in items & what time of day was it?   Let us know? 

 

Didn't you ask the staff about any future deliveries? 

 

Deliveries arrive at certain times of day. 

 

I mean, I could say that I visited two major supermarkets & they were both fully stocked so that Brexit is working, couldn't I? 

 

 

Edited by Baron99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Mt bold. 

 

 Which two supermarkets & where were they located? 

 

Which shelves were empty / what stocks or products were low in items & what time of day was it?   Let us know? 

 

Didn't you ask the staff about any future deliveries? 

 

Deliveries arrive at certain times of day. 

 

I mean, I could say that I visited two major supermarkets & they were both fully stocked so that Brexit is working, couldn't I? 

 

 

BBC News - Online retailer Ocado warns of shortages as suppliers cut choice
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55609315

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

BBC News - Online retailer Ocado warns of shortages as suppliers cut choice
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55609315

Thanks.  I read that this morning off the BBC web pages but it doesn't really answer RJRB's supermarket claim & it'd be nice if RJRB provided a response to their own claims. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

What makes you think there is going to be an EU left to get back into.  That is certainly no guarantee.

 

Germany particuarly was absolutely desperate for us not to leave and the EU knew the potential hole we make as shown with their increasingly desperate and bullying tactics in the final stages of the negotiations. They knew full well that the UK was one of the top contributors other than Germany itself into the pot. Our leaving has left one hell of a shortfall which is unlikely to be made up to the same level by the remaining countries.

 

Look around some of the other members. Spain is absolutely broke and has impacted more damage since Covid because one of their prime incomes was tourism. Italy completely broke with a shambolic corrupt politics system worse on our own. Greece very well documented as to their troubles and completely broke.  France has quite a lot of political turmoil and a leader who is himself is now debating about the leaving the EU....

 

 

Source for this please as it is appears unknown to people living in France...........................................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Thanks.  I read that this morning off the BBC web pages but it doesn't really answer RJRB's supermarket claim & it'd be nice if RJRB provided a response to their own claims. 

 

Rightio,

I will be nice and respond.

Sainsbury's.  Shortage of vegetables

Tesco local. Fridge cabinets full of empty shelves and no milk.

Timearound 2 to 4 p.m Saturday for Sainsbury and around 12.30 Sunday at Tesco local

 

No I did not tackle the staff or management just bought what I needed and or alternatives.

 

I really didn’t claim anything,just observed that apart from the above shelves of perishable items were not as well stocked as usual.

Others may have had a different experience.

The Brexit comment was supposed to be tongue in cheek,but who knows.

We shall see if any particular commodities do become in short supply and for what reason in the fullness of time,or February.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RJRB said:

 

Rightio,

I will be nice and respond.

Sainsbury's.  Shortage of vegetables

Tesco local. Fridge cabinets full of empty shelves and no milk.

Timearound 2 to 4 p.m Saturday for Sainsbury and around 12.30 Sunday at Tesco local

 

No I did not tackle the staff or management just bought what I needed and or alternatives.

 

I really didn’t claim anything,just observed that apart from the above shelves of perishable items were not as well stocked as usual.

Others may have had a different experience.

The Brexit comment was supposed to be tongue in cheek,but who knows.

We shall see if any particular commodities do become in short supply and for what reason in the fullness of time,or February.

 

Well if I go in my Sainsbury's local at say 07:15 any morning, even while we were still in the EU, the shelves would be only half full & there would be no bread, even British bread.  However if I visit at say 09:30, the shelves would be fully stocked.

 

We were in both Sainsbury's on The Moor & Waitrose at Ecclesall Rd yesterday, midmorning & I can't say I saw a shortage of any goods, even those you'd associate as coming from the Continent, 

 

So roughly in line with your statement of "I blame Brexit", I say Brexit is working because I've been in supermarkets & there were no shortages of any goods. 

 

Shall we call it a draw?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Well if I go in my Sainsbury's local at say 07:15 any morning, even while we were still in the EU, the shelves would be only half full & there would be no bread, even British bread.  However if I visit at say 09:30, the shelves would be fully stocked.

 

We were in both Sainsbury's on The Moor & Waitrose at Ecclesall Rd yesterday, midmorning & I can't say I saw a shortage of any goods, even those you'd associate as coming from the Continent, 

 

So roughly in line with your statement of "I blame Brexit", I say Brexit is working because I've been in supermarkets & there were no shortages of any goods. 

 

Shall we call it a draw?

Yes let’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.