Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

5 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Unfortunately we can neither ask you to opt out or bar you from any future success.  When its up & running properly, like the rest of the naysayers, you'll be there, expecting your share. 

I notice you never said anything about failures. You decided to impose the considerable risk of that on everyone as well.

5 hours ago, Baron99 said:

People REALLY do need to move on.

I did. I married an Italian and so I get to keep all the benefits of the EU, and eject the jingoistic millstone just off the coast of France. For me it's a winner all ways round.

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

And you know what?  You can help them out by purchasing their products, insuring that the various industries keep afloat, especially in these pandemic times, thereby ensuring that salaries are paid, resulting that those wages are spent in local communities, keeping further businesses sustained. 

hahahahaha... really? You think I'm going to help them? I've got no duty to help them at all and I will go out of my way to purchase from other suppliers specifically to spite them. 

They can drown in the disaster of their own making and eat the dirt as far as I am concerned they deserve all the pain they are getting. You want to see some of the construction contracts I'm involved with - they even ban contractors from using JCB kit because of their support for Brexit. 

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

And you know what?  You can help them out by purchasing their products, insuring that the various industries keep afloat, especially in these pandemic times, thereby ensuring that salaries are paid, resulting that those wages are spent in local communities, keeping further businesses sustained. 

I'm not advocating that people should refuse to by goods from markets abroad, including the EU, that's their choice but look to your fellow British workers & the industries we have first & consider using your purchasing power in this country first, before you spend it on imported goods.

It amazing how many Remain voters on here  shout & moan, (and yes the moans are still tinged by the fact that they perceived to be 'loosers' in their own eyes, in a democratic vote, where somehow many can't accept that it wasn't ever going to be a best of 3 vote, or they can't accept that somehow their vote didn't carry more weight than the next person's vote), about the plight of British industries in this ever developing Brexit period, yet care little to spend money on British goods. 

There are approximately 33 million working adults in the UK.  imagine the internal market benefits if all spent the majority on British made  goods & how this would spark additional industries to start up, knowing they'd be part of a buoyant home market?

That’s an impassioned plea that takes me back to the short lived “I’m backing Britain” campaign of the late 60s.

I am sure that there will be little difference from one household to another in the proportion of British produce and manufactured items purchased.

I prefer British cheeses,British vegetables-as they are in season,Scottish or English  beef and Welsh Lamb.

However the big consumer spends on cars,televisions,white goods and furniture  are dominated by foreign producers.

Globalisation is not going away.

If all countries adopted your proposals then our exports would take a hit.

During my working life in industry,I have seen the decline of Shipbuilding,coal and other home produced fuels,nuclear power,machine tools,heavy engineering,fishing.engineering and stainless steels.

Even our power generating industry uses imported fuels

Those that remain are largely foreign owned.

We ,and substantially I mean successive post war governments have been poor in supporting our own industries.

Any nett positive balance of trade has been as a result of the invisible financial trade,and we are in the process of weakening this.

So we will all carry on,doing our bit as we can afford it,but if you expect me to believe that Brexit is a great opportunity for the re-generation of our economy then we are poles apart.

Consumers will be paying the price.

Edited by RJRB

If the Brexiters in government really, really care about keeping money in the UK, they'll use their new political independence to make sure companies can't offshore their profits and avoid paying corporation tax. Let's see if that happens.

3 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I don't like shellfish. Can you do your patriotic duty and buy my share? 

And mine-I’m allergic

15 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I don't like shellfish. Can you do your patriotic duty and buy my share? 

think of the fun you can have finding a way to cook them which makes you like them. 

Edited by andyofborg

21 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

think of the fun you can have finding a way to cook them which makes you like them. 

Quoted for truth. Lobster tandoori is really quite something.

13 hours ago, Delbow said:

If the Brexiters in government really, really care about keeping money in the UK, they'll use their new political independence to make sure companies can't offshore their profits and avoid paying corporation tax. Let's see if that happens.

Enhanced tax avoidance is a feature of Brexit, not a bug.

It's plebes' money that they want to keep in the UK. So expect capital controls before too long (on top of customs restrictions in destination EU countries), now that FoM of capital has been removed.

Edited by L00b

56 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

Looking at the empty fish hall (is that the term?) at Peterhead that should ordinarily have 10k boxes of seafood for sale I think they've given it up as a bad job. 

2 hours ago, L00b said:

Enhanced tax avoidance is a feature of Brexit, not a bug.

It's plebes' money that they want to keep in the UK. So expect capital controls before too long (on top of customs restrictions in destination EU countries), now that FoM of capital has been removed.

Absolutely, I just think anyone who believes Brexit is going to help money stay in the country is severely deluded. The UK is already a tax haven, thanks to Crown Dependencies, though this was limited in more recent years due to EU regulations, but with Brexit those barriers to tax evasion and avoidance are now gone. Remember - some of the main beneficiaries of these are organised crime gangs and terrorists.

42 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

I see that now we're no longer bound by the evil EU overlords, the Government is considering scrapping some of the EU labour laws.

Didn't see that coming.... 🙄

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55725720

Didn't take long, two days ago Kwarteng was rubbishing the story as untrue :?

Just like there wasn’t going to be a border in the Irish Sea. There is a border in the Irish Sea.

On 15/01/2021 at 12:55, RollingJ said:

OK. The FT  wants me to pay - no thanks. The other two merely refer to an un-named 'source' - so all-in-all a load of unverified speculation.

... turns out, not so much on the speculation front :?

Edited by Magilla

Kwarteng along with Raab, Patel and Truss - all Government ministers, in a book 'Britannia Unchained' labelled British workers as 'the worst idlers in the world'. 

It just beggars belief that we are ruled by people who clearly disrespect the electorate in such a shoddy manner.

Though Patel, as evident from her bullying tactics, is clearly a nasty piece of work; Truss is famously vapid, and Raab said  he hadn't quite understood" how reliant UK trade in goods is on the Dover-Calais crossing.

I just wonder whether voters in red wall areas like Mansfield, Workington and Blyth Valley would agree?

5 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Kwarteng along with Raab, Patel and Truss - all Government ministers, in a book 'Britannia Unchained' labelled British workers as 'the worst idlers in the world'. 

It just beggars belief that we are ruled by people who clearly disrespect the electorate in such a shoddy manner.

Though Patel, as evident from her bullying tactics, is clearly a nasty piece of work; Truss is famously vapid, and Raab said  he hadn't quite understood" how reliant UK trade in goods is on the Dover-Calais crossing.

I just wonder whether voters in red wall areas like Mansfield, Workington and Blyth Valley would agree?

Speaking of Truss...

UK and US fail to do mini-trade deal as Trump exits:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55725718

...another one who thinks the UK's commitments are meaningless.