Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Leading Brexiteer Kate Hoey is now complaining that 'The Tories have betrayed Northern Ireland with their Brexit Deal'

The kernel of Hoey's complaint is:

"The 44% of people in Northern Ireland who voted for Brexit voted for the UK to leave as it stated on the ballot paper, not for some of the UK to leave and certainly not to find the province left to the diktats of Brussels,

"Even among Remainers, most did not want economic and societal barriers within their own country, the UK. Bluntly, the Northern Ireland protocol signed as part of the Withdrawal Agreement has shown that, when it suits the Government, Northern Ireland can be sacrificed."

Kate Hoey accuses Tories of 'betraying' Northern Ireland with Brexit deal - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Hope she's not expecting any sympathy or understanding.

Edited by Mister M

4 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Leading Brexiteer Kate Hoey is now complaining that 'The Tories have betrayed Northern Ireland with their Brexit Deal'

the County Antrim-born peer said the words "and Unionist no longer apply to the name 'the Conservative and Unionist Party"....

"The 44% of people in Northern Ireland who voted for Brexit voted for the UK to leave as it stated on the ballot paper, not for some of the UK to leave and certainly not to find the province left to the diktats of Brussels,

"Even among Remainers, most did not want economic and societal barriers within their own country, the UK. Bluntly, the Northern Ireland protocol signed as part of the Withdrawal Agreement has shown that, when it suits the Government, Northern Ireland can be sacrificed."

Kate Hoey accuses Tories of 'betraying' Northern Ireland with Brexit deal - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Hope she's not expecting any sympathy or understanding.

I must admit I’m amazed at how quickly this complete and utter madness is unfolding. 

23 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

I must admit I’m amazed at how quickly this complete and utter madness is unfolding. 

I am. The fishing industry feels betrayed, Kate Hoey says the integrity of union has been betrayed.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the ERG have been disloyal to people in the fishing industry or the constitution of the United Kingdom. with people like Mogg, Francois leading the charge.

Anyway, this is going to run and run and run. They'll get theirs at the ballot box, fingers crossed 🤞

41 minutes ago, Mister M said:

<...>

One is reminded of Leavers consistently rebutting any Remain argument based on the 56% of people in Northern Ireland who voted for Remain  over the last 4 years.

Can't wait to read the outrage, come the Scottish elections this May 😈

Edited by L00b

38 minutes ago, Mister M said:

"The 44% of people in Northern Ireland who voted for Brexit voted for the UK to leave as it stated on the ballot paper . . .  when it suits the Government, Northern Ireland can be sacrificed."

Pray tell, what did Ms Hoey's ballot paper state?  That the UK would leave the EU but retain full benefits?  That English taxpayers would continue to pay Ol' Arlene £tens of billions a year?

The sectarian-bigots of the DUP have now realised, they were only tolerated by the Tories to win an election.

Now the once-useful idiots of the DUP have served their original purpose, BoJo has thrown them under a bus.

Look on the bright side; BoJo is saving English taxpayers £tens of billions.  BoJo can be quite fiscally prudent when he needs to 😄

34 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

The real risk is that EU27 hauliers continue to boycott the UK and ferry companies divert still more ships to alternative routes (Stena just reassigned MV Embla to Rosslare-Cherbourg today, was meant to start from Belfast) over the next couple months (or worse, longer) - whilst Brexit stockpiles run out, business cashflows get depleted, people's shopping spend goes through the roof...and then the grace period for light-touch customs checks and procedures ends on 1st April.

Truck queues will actually be a welcome sight, it means trade will have resumed. Then you can take a look at "normal" truck queues at the Polish-Ukraine border (Ukraine has a DCFTA with the EU, the UK doesn't ), likewise "normal" truck queues at the German-Swiss border (Swiss is EFTA and German customs are highly efficient, moreover with a dedicated customs-facilitating app since mid-2018) for an idea of what to expect once the UK has progressed a little (-closer to the EU) from the current super-thin FTA.

22 hours ago, Mister M said:

According to Lord Green, (published in Migration Watch):

The new “points-based” immigration system comes into operation on January 1 but it will not reduce net migration. Indeed, it is far more likely to increase it substantially.

Certainly, most of the public will be unaware that the new arrangements for recruiting immigrant workers represent a total surrender to every demand that employers could think of. The ‘consultation’ groups set up by the Home Office were dominated by business interests and their advisory committee is largely comprised of economists. The outcome was a scheme providing a bonanza for business at the expense of their workers.

oh dear.

And some people on here openly admit they voted for Brexit in order to reduce immigration.  I wonder how betrayed they feel now?

To be honest, it's exactly what I expected from an Indian Home Secretary; did you honestly expect a perfidious, mendacious piece of work like her not to invite her ONE BILLION fellow countrymen and women over here?

Hmm?

Wow, I've just checked and it seems that India's population is now 1.3 Billion!  Last time I checked (over a decade ago, I admit) it was "only" one billion.

Best of luck finding a house, a job, or even a schoolplace, for your grandkids.

Still, it's what we all voted for.  Apparently.

1 minute ago, The Joker said:

oh dear.

And some people on here openly admit they voted for Brexit in order to reduce immigration.  I wonder how betrayed they feel now?

To be honest, it's exactly what I expected from an Indian Home Secretary; did you honestly expect a perfidious, mendacious piece of work like her not to invite her ONE BILLION fellow countrymen and women over here?

Hmm?

Wow, I've just checked and it seems that India's population is now 1.3 Billion!  Last time I checked (over a decade ago, I admit) it was "only" one billion.

She was born in London.

3 minutes ago, The Joker said:

oh dear.

Hmm?

Priti is British...

8 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Priti is British...

You didn't know Ms Patel has Indian heritage?  You couldn't guess that from her name?  Aw bless, you're adorable 😘

1 minute ago, The Joker said:

You didn't know Ms Patel has Indian heritage?  You couldn't guess that from her name?  Aw bless, you're adorable 😘

You said we have an Indian home secretary. We don't, we have a British home secretary.

You could've said we have a British home secretary with an Indian heritage or Indian background.  My apologies for being factual...