Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Just now, ECCOnoob said:

For all I know it might have a legitimate purpose  being in there. It might be incorporated text from an already pre standing and established historical agreement. I don't know I wasn't part of the negotiations nor am I a government lawyer.

Just because a few pot stirring newspapers and some tech nerds start wetting themselves with excitement because they spot reference to outdated software doesn't mean it's necessarily incorrect. Even if it was an outdated reference it was used in a general narrative context as one of several examples of internet browser and email client software which did not in any way impact the primary subject of the rest of the paragraph.

Good grief there is legislation still being used to this very day which goes back 30, 50, 70+ years . It's filled with their outdated references, names and terminology.  Doesn't mean it's not valid legislation or statue.  

Anyway doesn't this Netscape reference just prove my point that clearly it is being read in detail otherwise it would have never been spotted and hyped up all over the papers.

But this is new legislation, it should be accurate. I've read the context and it's a copy and paste job, an admin error  nothing to worry about in the bigger scheme of things. But it goes to show it's a rush job, that's had bugger all scrutiny, least not from the cabinet. 

The GFA is about 16 pages and Rabb couldn't manage that. Do you think hes read 2000 pages?

It is a nice bright day today so I decided to go and post my parcel for a friend of mine in the UK.

At the post office the lovely lady told me I had to fill in a customs form, the same procedure if you send a parcel to the USA.

Ok, no sweat give me a form please.  She said I am not sure which form you need can you come back next week.

Looks like i had no choice and came home with the parcel. For me this is not a problem, it is not my bread and butter.

But if you have an online business I can immagine it could kill of your business.

18 hours ago, West 77 said:

Only an anti British person would ask that question.  You do not deserve the courtesy of an answer. 

If you don’t know, just say so.

Theres no shame in not knowing.

Chucking insults around is shameful though.

32 minutes ago, Frans2755 said:

It is a nice bright day today so I decided to go and post my parcel for a friend of mine in the UK.

At the post office the lovely lady told me I had to fill in a customs form, the same procedure if you send a parcel to the USA.

Ok, no sweat give me a form please.  She said I am not sure which form you need can you come back next week.

Looks like i had no choice and came home with the parcel. For me this is not a problem, it is not my bread and butter.

But if you have an online business I can immagine it could kill of your business.

@Frans2755 - you are not in the UK then?

18 hours ago, West 77 said:

Only an anti British person would ask that question.  You do not deserve the courtesy of an answer. 

Dear God, is this even real? If so, in terms of debate and discussion this is through the bottom of the barrel and into the mucky floor below.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

The Royal Mail website have been automatically issuing customs forms for several months now when paying for postage to EU countries. It's all very straight forward and will hardly kill any business that isn't already dead.

I am not surprised that The Royal mail is geared up properly.  They have a massive network in Europe  with GLS  parcels.

The UK has a massive fulfillment market  sending goods into Europe.  Every minute extra is unwelcome in this highly competative market.

22 hours ago, andyofborg said:

he's regenerated

This is quite a long way off the mark - I'm actually brand new! 

It's brilliant having such a warm welcome though 😀 

On 01/01/2021 at 09:11, hauxwell said:

Form today Government has abolished VAT tax on women’s sanitary products.  How trivial that the UK was unable to remove all tax on these products because the EU wouldn’t allow it.  EU law says these products are non essential.  What a joke.

I thought this tax had already been abolished after taking on the EU, but obviously I was wrong we still had to abide by EU rules, but not any longer.  Along with free movement this was another reason why I voted to leave the EU. 

I appreciate that Dover will be a lorry park by the summer, so it's important for the Tories to divert attention elsewhere, but you deserve to know that the campaigner who pushed to end VAT on sanitary products didn't want the issue to be claimed as a "benefit" of Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/31/tampon-tax-government-axes-vat-on-sanitary-products

Tampon tax: government axes VAT on sanitary products

Key campaigner Laura Coryton accuses Tory politicians of trying to turn issue into ‘pro-Brexit thing’

Laura Coryton, who started the Stop Taxing Periods campaign in May 2014 while a student at Goldsmiths, said the Brexit process had made it less likely that the tampon tax would be abolished throughout Europe.

She said: “It is a day for celebration today, but it is just frustrating that the tampon tax is being used as a political football in terms of Brexit.”

Coryton said it was frustrating to hear the scrapping of the tax cited as a victory for Brexit, and hear little mention of the more than 320,000 people who had signed the petition, and campaigning MPs such as Labour’s Stella Creasy and the former Labour MP Paula Sherriff.

“It’s great that the government is taking it really seriously – if the prime minister can talk about periods, surely anyone can talk about periods,” she said. “But it’s frustrating … to make this campaign into a pro-Brexit thing, because it doesn’t reflect the many different types of people who have been campaigning for it.”

Also, it’s not true, she said, adding that in 2016 – under pressure from the then prime minister, David Cameron, the European parliament had voted unanimously to start the regulatory process to allow any EU country to abolish any tampon tax.

“That process has since gone cold, because we then left the EU and we were the ones pushing for it,” said Coryton. “So if anything, actually, Brexit has made it worse, because if we were to have stayed in the EU, then this piece of legislation would have gone through… then any EU member would be able to axe the tax, not just the UK.”

In 2018 the European commission published proposals to change EU VAT rules, which could allow countries to axe the tampon tax in their countries, but it is yet to be agreed on by all member states.

I won't mention the lorry parks.

11 hours ago, Longcol said:

It's similar to BoJo claiming we've been able to ban "pulse fishing" because we've left the EU - despite the fact it could have been implemented earlier - like France did in 2019.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/pulse-fishing-brexit-boris-johnson-eu-b1781323.html

We all know the 'sovereignty'thing is total horsecrap, it's all they had though. Sadly enough idiots believed it

10 minutes ago, melthebell said:

We all know the 'sovereignty'thing is total horsecrap, it's all they had though. Sadly enough idiots believed it

It's hyperbolic comments like this that muddy debate, and in my view, lost the referendum. It is evident that the government have pulled back some degrees of sovereignty (e.g. an ability to control immigration from EU countries) - the level to which these are deemed a success or a failure is still an open question, as are many of the intricacies of what being "sovereign" means. 

I can't help but feel if, in the lead up to the 2016 referendum, there had been fewer comments of this sort and more robust and honest debate championed by Remain they would have walked it home. Instead, the failure to acknowledge public mood was such that it allowed Brexiteers to build a vision of renaissance against a backdrop of terminal decline. In short, it should have been possible to champion continued EU membership whilst still being empathetic to the fact many British people had reservations about the project.