Jump to content


Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute.

 

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by Vaati

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Of course it is....it's not like the old Castle Market where stuff is bought and sold on the spot, it's bought by forward contract years in advance. 

I think you'll find French supermarkets operate on a different model to Teco's etc - they've much more ability to make spot purchases , purchase local produce etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

I doubt much is from Ireland, they only produce 19,000 tons a year for the whole of the world's market.

Most of the salmon and smoked salmon that I’ve ever bought in France is Norwegian.

 

They have Scottish Salmon but it is expensive and not any nicer.

 

There is only one loser in all of this. The little guy, as usual. 
 

 

 

*By little guy, I mean the U.K. 

Edited by Pettytom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sadbrewer said:

I doubt much is from Ireland, they only produce 19,000 tons a year for the whole of the world's market.

19,000 tons is a lot of Salmon. France takes about a third of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Longcol said:

19,000 tons is a lot of Salmon. France takes about a third of it.

Not really a lot...Norway produces 1.2 million tonnes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sadbrewer said:

Not really a lot...Norway produces 1.2 million tonnes.

Which is why most salmon sold in France is from Norway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Longcol said:

I think you'll find French supermarkets operate on a different model to Teco's etc - they've much more ability to make spot purchases , purchase local produce etc.

If they do it's good....but the fact remains that it's a mature market, if Carrefour buy them from another source the original suppliers produce goes unsold, where do they sell them?

12 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Which is why most salmon sold in France is from Norway.

Absolutement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

If they do it's good....but the fact remains that it's a mature market, if Carrefour buy them from another source the original suppliers produce goes unsold, where do they sell them?

 

France is a different animal to England especially in terms of geography - 3 times the landmass for approx the same population. Farms tend to be much smaller.  Hence where I live most fresh meat is sourced  as locally as available.     Much more spot purchasing - it'll be in the shops one week and then it'll be gone. Butchers counters in supermarkets are often a franchise - I can buy things from my local mini Carrefour down the road that I can't get from the big Carrefour in town ten miles away. Many different outlets for producers in terms of local butchers, farm shops, markets

Edited by Longcol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Delayed said:

Luckily for you, you are no longer interested, which is shown by your lack of posts on this thread...

Ah, so at least one poster noticed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s difficult to decide which thread to post some comments on as it is not just Jupiter and Saturn that have become conjoined.

Brexit ,Covid and the Conservative Party are now inextricably linked.

Shapps chose to view the recent chaos in Dover and environs as a useful test of the measures taken in anticipation of changes on Jan1st.

Well it seems to be that there is much to be done!

The more important lesson is that we are in the process of creating a great divide between many long established markets and suppliers,apparently on the back of a  £60m fishing industry.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, RJRB said:

apparently on the back of a  £60m fishing industry.

 

 

 

which even according to fishermen we wont be able to sell to our biggest market, the EU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RJRB said:

It’s difficult to decide which thread to post some comments on as it is not just Jupiter and Saturn that have become conjoined.

Brexit ,Covid and the Conservative Party are now inextricably linked.

Shapps chose to view the recent chaos in Dover and environs as a useful test of the measures taken in anticipation of changes on Jan1st.

Well it seems to be that there is much to be done!

The more important lesson is that we are in the process of creating a great divide between many long established markets and suppliers,apparently on the back of a  £60m fishing industry.

 

 

 

Indeed, 48 hours has really shown some serious failings that need to be addressed fairly sharpish. I have a lot of sympathy for the lorry drivers stuck down there.

 

Anyway, assuming they get these Covid delays sorted out, what happens if a similar situation occurs in a weeks time due to Brexit - entirely possible if no deal is agreed.

Should we run a book on which hapless minister gets wheeled out to tell us that "nobody could have predicted this" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, whiteowl said:

 

Should we run a book on which hapless minister gets wheeled out to tell us that "nobody could have predicted this" 

:hihi:

 

Apart from project fear for the last 4 years lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

X