Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute.

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by Vaati

12 hours ago, Longcol said:

Boris must be hoping that the continent doesn't have a bad winter as the UK relies on France and Germany for about 7% of its electricity supply.

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1802/1802.07457.pdf

"The UK, German and French electricity generation records reveal that a number of unusual factors combined in January 2017 to severely reduce generation capacity in Europe. Despite the fact that the UK-France and UK-Holland interconnectors have provided the UK with about 7% of its electrical power reliably for several years, the experience in January 2017 was that interconnectors cannot be relied upon when there is a general shortage of power in Europe. Germany and France will give their own domestic markets priority."

Well, the idea is to go back to 1973 isn't it?

On 15/12/2020 at 09:23, whiteowl said:

I appreciate that for people like you anything short of the EU swearing fealty to a British Empire 2 would be classed as not enough.

However, I was replying to your fake news assertion that he got next to zero concessions. He got pretty much everything he asked for.

The consensus at the time was that David Cameron had wasted his time and air miles travelling all over the EU trying to get meaningful concessions from the EU for UK and getting the EU to reform.  It's not fake news and I don't attempt to rewrite history. Perhaps you can enlighten me with a list of the reforms the EU brought in before the EU referendum vote because David Cameron stated long before his intention was to see the UK remain in a reformed EU.  

15 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The consensus at the time was that David Cameron had wasted his time and air miles travelling all over the EU trying to get meaningful concessions from the EU for UK and getting the EU to reform.  It's not fake news and I don't attempt to rewrite history. Perhaps you can enlighten me with a list of the reforms the EU brought in before the EU referendum vote because David Cameron stated long before his intention was to see the UK remain in a reformed EU.  

Perhaps you yourself can enlighten me, as to why should a collective of 28 countries (-then, 27 nowadays) "reform" just because the UK asks?

And reform further after 2015, after giving the UK just about everything which its Prime Minister had asked for?

Have you learned nothing in the past 5 years?

UNICEF is going to start feeding British kids this winter. UNICEF! And yet, the UK would presume to dictate to the rest of the world, in your worldview? 

Edited by L00b

As everyday passes being free from the EU bureaucrats is looking more and more a positive consequence of Brexit. The Germans have produced an anti-Covid19 vaccine, which is being dispensed to people in the UK and the USA. However, the EU bureaucrats have to approve this vaccine before Germans and others in the EU can receive it.  A news broadcast states that the German authorities have applied to the EU authorities to fast-track the process, however it is unlikely that this will happen before Christmas. Germany coped extremely well during the first wave but unfortunately, they are suffering much higher Covid-19 related deaths in the second wave. It must be especially frustrating to the German people that a safe COVID-19 vaccine developed by two of their own dedicated and hard-working scientists is still waiting to be approved for use in their own country. Brussels rules! Which is bleak! Because Belgium has the highest per capita fatality rate in the EU and are manufacturing a save vaccine their own vulnerable people still don't have access to as a consequence of EU bureaucracy.

57 minutes ago, West 77 said:

A news broadcast states that the German authorities have applied to the EU authorities to fast-track the process, however it is unlikely that this will happen before Christmas. 

if Germany (or any EU country) want to fast-track the approval, then under/within EU rules, they can - *exactly* like the UK did. 

The EU is not holding up any emergency-approval processes.

(more leave lies...)

There is a concern in Germany that if the 'emergency' approval route is taken, it may fuel the anti-vaccine movement, they want all the i's dotted, and t's crossed.

(the news of fast-tracking the approval has raised concerns, we've seen it here)

*full* approval is expected on the 21st December.

The idea that EU Bureaucracy is preventing German/wherever citizens from getting the vaccine is an outright lie - and anti EU propaganda.

Edited by ads36

33 minutes ago, ads36 said:

if Germany (or any EU country) want to fast-track the approval, then under/within EU rules, they can - *exactly* like the UK did. 

The EU is not holding up any emergency-approval processes.

(more leave lies...)

There is a concern in Germany that if the 'emergency' approval route is taken, it may fuel the anti-vaccine movement, they want all the i's dotted, and t's crossed.

(the idea of fast-tracking the approval has raised concerns, we've seen it here)

The very fact none of the EU 27 bloc have chosen to fast track approval is evidence being a member of the EU means bureaucracy is a disadvantage of being member.  I acknowledge past UK Governments haven't used all the powers available to them and used being a member of the EU as an excuse for doing nothing to improve matters over the years.  A positive consequence of Brexit and the return of sovereignty  is all future UK elected Governments will no longer be able to blame the EU unfairly for negative events and will solely be accountable.  The likelihood is if the UK had voted to remain in the EU then the Covid-19 vaccine wouldn't have started to be administrated to the most vulnerable and NHS workers at the beginning of last week in our own country and the decision for approval would have been left to the EU regulators and not the UK regulator.  Standing on our own feet and making decisions unilaterally for the benefit of our own country and people  is a positive consequence of Brexit.

Edited by West 77

27 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The very fact none of the EU 27 bloc have chosen to fast track approval is evidence being a member of the EU means bureaucracy is a disadvantage of being member.  I acknowledge past UK Governments haven't used all the powers available to them and used being a member of the EU as an excuse for doing nothing to improve matters over the years.  A positive consequence of Brexit and the return of sovereignty  is all future UK elected Governments will no longer be able to blame the EU unfairly for negative events and will solely be accountable.  The likelihood is if the UK had voted to remain in the EU then the Covid-19 vaccine wouldn't have started to be administrated to the most vulnerable and NHS workers at the beginning of last week in our own country and the decision for approval would have been left to the EU regulators and not the UK regulator.  Standing on our own feet and making decisions unilaterally for the benefit of our own country and people  is a positive consequence of Brexit.

Or alternatively, is evidence that the fast track approach is deemed unsafe by a large number of countries, and that a more measured approach is the best approach, both in terms of public confidence and determining any negative effects of widespread vaccination.

49 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The very fact none of the EU 27 bloc have chosen to fast track approval is evidence being a member of the EU means bureaucracy is a disadvantage of being member.  (...)

I take it from that comment, that you don't export anything, nor have much experience of international trade outside the Single Market.

Don't worry, though: deal or no deal, and irrespective of tariff-free trading getting agreed, as a third party country outside the CU/SM you're about to get schooled about what massive bureaucracy really is -and its cost- very soon :twisted:

Big boy pants time, now.

Edited by L00b

33 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Standing on our own feet and making decisions unilaterally for the benefit of our own country and people  is a positive consequence of Brexit.

i think i know what you mean.

As we can see from your 'EU holding up the approval' nonsense, there seems no limit to what we will blame the EU for - i see no reason why this will stop once we've (fully) left.

we've never let things like facts, the truth, or evidence, stop us from blaming the EU for more or less everything in the past, why stop now?

7 hours ago, West 77 said:

What are the lottery numbers next week please if you are so good at predictions?

If there turn out to be issues with the fast tracked German vaccine, will you turn round and blame the EU for dumping it on the UK?

Or will you blame that lying cheating sexist racist PM and praise the EU for being stricter around its approval process?

I guess I know which one you'll choose, but it is a guess and I wouldn't suggest there is a likelihood of you choosing it...

6 minutes ago, Litotes said:

What are the lottery numbers next week please if you are so good at predictions?

If there turn out to be issues with the fast tracked German vaccine, will you turn round and blame the EU for dumping it on the UK?

Or will you blame that lying cheating sexist racist PM and praise the EU for being stricter around its approval process?

I guess I know which one you'll choose, but it is a guess and I wouldn't suggest there is a likelihood of you choosing it...

I've merely pointed out a fact that no individual country that is a member of the EU27  bloc have gone it alone and used their own regulator to authorise the use of the Pfizer vaccine. The article below implies the EU have been too slow to approve the use of the Pfizer vaccine.

Europe Advances Review of Pfizer’s Covid-19 Vaccine as Pressure Mounts

Some EU leaders, however, had been growing frustrated at the pace of the review as the death toll from the virus ticks higher.

At an EU summit last week, at least three heads of government complained that it was becoming politically untenable to explain to their citizens why the U.S. and Canada were administering a Europe-made vaccine ahead of the EU, officials familiar with the discussions said.

“I hope that the EU too will get quick and unbureaucratic approval of the first vaccines while observing all scientific standards,” Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz told The Wall Street Journal. “The earlier we in the EU are able to start vaccinating, the better. Because every day of the pandemic in Europe means thousands of deaths, severe economic damage and innumerable people who must fear for their jobs.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/europe-chafes-at-slow-pace-of-covid-19-vaccine-approval-11608036518

Interesting, we have large economies which have been criticised for lack of initial response to the pandemic (UK and the North America) which are now being held up as exemplars for the adoption of fast-tracked solutions tothe pandemic.

Firstly, I hope they are right in the fast tracking of the solution, but secondly perhaps this is a knee-jerk reaction to their failings to address the pandemic in the first place.

Maybe one wrong can be corrected by a right, but perhaps they are just layering ineffectual initial responses with ill thought out remedies.

Only time will tell, and even then it will only be down to the spinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

(And to the sources that the spinners decide to quote)

Hypocrisy at its best:

Michael Gove, 2016 - “people in this country have had enough of experts”.