Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute.

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by Vaati

47 minutes ago, L00b said:

Aye, that just might work, if the EU27 stop growing harder for no deal.

Just got to give Johnson his "big win" on fishing (0,05% of UK GDP, was it?) to placate the headbangers long enough to ram the deal through Parliament. If that's the plan, Macron should be dropping the bad cop act and most of the British media should be crowing about the EU's surrender before the week is out.

Not sure how that's going to help Wales, Yorkshire, Tyne & Wear and -generally-'everywhere north of the Watford gap' much, in the short- to longer-term...but well, better than no deal, at any rate.

I think thats the issue - any deal is better than no deal. Perhaps why Boris seems to have caved on following equivalence. How long until he gives them fishing too?

5 hours ago, nightrider said:

I think thats the issue - any deal is better than no deal. Perhaps why Boris seems to have caved on following equivalence. How long until he gives them fishing too?

The EU27 will let the UK have fishing, if that secures the deal with LPF and an (edit: unilateral) operational mechanism to enforce it.

But the UK really should not bank on the EU27 letting it string them along until 23:59 on 31 December: the EU Parliament will absolutely not let itself be railroaded about it, like Parliament was, and "no deal is better than a bad deal" has been getting a lot of traction fast on this side of the Channel lately (the irony!)

Edit 2: sounds like it's too late, 4 biggest MEP groups (EPP, S&D, Renew and Greens) have reportedly agreed no ratification to take place in 2020. That means either short period of no deal, or technical prolongation of transition. At best.

Anyone who follows ciaran the euro courier (@donnyc1975) on Twitter will already know what's what as regards logistics. It's particularly grim reading tonight. It's positively raining anecdotal reports of no further orders getting taken for UK delivery, and no further truck slots for love or a ton of money.

:(

Edited by L00b

15 hours ago, L00b said:

Not sure how that's going to help Wales, Yorkshire, Tyne & Wear and -generally-'everywhere north of the Watford gap' much, in the short- to longer-term...but well, better than no deal, at any rate.

No government for the last 40 years has cared a great deal about these regions, I doubt they will start now,

1 hour ago, andyofborg said:

No government for the last 40 years has cared a great deal about these regions, I doubt they will start now,

Cornwall will be getting 5% of the amount that it was getting from the EU, according to a Welsh councillor quoted in yesterday's The New European.

It asked £700m over 10 years to make up for the EU Objective One shortfall (£765m since 1999). It will be getting £1.8m in the first year, out of the national £220m Growth Deal.

Well.

Edited by L00b

17 hours ago, West 77 said:

<snip>

To quote Dennis Skinner  '' Is that it?"

David Cameron was ridiculed for the so called concessions he got from the EU which is one of the reasons Leave WON  the EU referendum vote.

I appreciate that for people like you anything short of the EU swearing fealty to a British Empire 2 would be classed as not enough.

However, I was replying to your fake news assertion that he got next to zero concessions. He got pretty much everything he asked for.

2 hours ago, L00b said:

Cornwall will be getting 5% of the amount that it was getting from the EU, according to a Welsh councillor quoted in yesterday's The New European.

It asked £700m over 10 years to make up for the EU Objective One shortfall (£765m since 1999). It will be getting £1.8m in the first year, out of the national £220m Growth Deal.

Well.

They can't say they were not warned during the referendum. Happy to screw everyone else as long as they got given all the money. So no sympathy now they are screwed along with the rest of us.

3 hours ago, L00b said:

Well.

It's what they voted for.

36 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

It's what they voted for.

At the last GE in December 2019, I believe that Johnson had promised them matched funding? 

So if I recall correctly, then no, it's not what they voted for the last time around...

...but well, it's Johnson and the current breed of nationalist 'Tories'. So it cannot come as a surprise.

Lots more of this to come. 4+ years of warning about it all, and all for nothing.

Edited by L00b

51 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Kent lorry park delayed due to rain

I keep thinking of that bit in Red Dwarf where Lister says "We're a real Mickey Mouse outfit, aren't we?"

Strangely enough, only yesterday, I was equating Brexit to the episode "Back to Reality" where the crew emerge from a virtual reality game to find that The Cat is actually called Dwayne Dibley and the previous 4 years were a hallucination.

We can only wish that that was true.

8 minutes ago, max said:

Strangely enough, only yesterday, I was equating Brexit to the episode "Back to Reality" where the crew emerge from a virtual reality game to find that The Cat is actually called Dwayne Dibley and the previous 4 years were a hallucination.

We can only wish that that was true.

ahhh the "Bobby Ewing " ending.....

Boris must be hoping that the continent doesn't have a bad winter as the UK relies on France and Germany for about 7% of its electricity supply.

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1802/1802.07457.pdf

"The UK, German and French electricity generation records reveal that a number of unusual factors combined in January 2017 to severely reduce generation capacity in Europe. Despite the fact that the UK-France and UK-Holland interconnectors have provided the UK with about 7% of its electrical power reliably for several years, the experience in January 2017 was that interconnectors cannot be relied upon when there is a general shortage of power in Europe. Germany and France will give their own domestic markets priority."