Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Vaati

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute.

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

Message added by Vaati

15 minutes ago, West 77 said:

If anything that article supports the opinions of individual Government ministers that the UK's  decision to leave the EU  enables the UK to be the first country to give out a Covid vaccine to the public. If I lived in one of the 27 EU countries I would be concerned at the delay in getting a vaccine approved for use after the UK has already given the go ahead.

Well, luckily for you, you don't. 

You go right on with that early mass vaccination, well done UK :)

16 minutes ago, L00b said:

Well, luckily for you, you don't. 

You go right on with that early mass vaccination, well done UK :)

It's likely the US will give approval for the Pfizer vaccine to be given to the public before the EU according to the article due to EU bureaucracy.  I hope the delay in the European regulators decision making won't lead to individual EU countries waiting a long time before receiving the Pfizer vaccine once it has been finally approved for use.  

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

I think Boris Johnson said it had been a global effort that enables the Pfizer vaccine to be given out next week. You're trying to make a big deal out of what individual ministers have said.  Let's wait and see if the whole EU block decides to approve covid vaccines being given out at the same time.  The fact that the UK have approved the use of the Pfizer vaccine first means the UK are the first in the queue to receive an order from the manufactures. Who can say if the UK hadn't left the EU that the UK wouldn't have waited until other EU nations had approved the vaccine for use and acted jointly.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out when a minister says something stupid - particularly if Boris, himself no stranger to tub thumping hyperbole, feels the need to distance himself from it. Just to remind you, Williamson said the UK approved the vaccine first because we have "much better" scientists than other countries - about a vaccine developed in Germany and manufactured in Belgium. What's he going to do next, praise early British aviators because Louis Blériot landed his plane in Kent?

7 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It's likely the US will give approval for the Pfizer vaccine to be given to the public before the EU according to the article due to EU bureaucracy.  I hope the delay in the European regulators decision making won't lead to individual EU countries waiting a long time before receiving the Pfizer vaccine once it has been finally approved for use.  

You concern is very kind, but unfounded. Honestly, don't worry. Just get those vaccinations going.

The more and the sooner the UK does, the sooner the FDA and the EMA have the extra test data needed for their own respective approval procedures.

Everybody wins, which surely is the best outcome. Well, where Covid is concerned. Which has sod all to do with Brexit, least of all after 1st January of course.

:)

10 minutes ago, L00b said:

You concern is very kind, but unfounded. Honestly, don't worry. Just get those vaccinations going.

The more and the sooner the UK does, the sooner the FDA and the EMA have the extra test data needed for their own respective approval procedures.

Everybody wins, which surely is the best outcome. Well, where Covid is concerned. Which has sod all to do with Brexit, least of all after 1st January of course.

It does of course speak volumes for the value of the widest possible cooperation in medicine and numerous other fields which Brexit supporters appear happy to put at some risk.

28 minutes ago, L00b said:

My bold. 

As you say, it has sod all to do with Brexit but as I stated earlier, go back to the pages when agencies were starting to come together to begin the prep work on a vaccine & you'll find that it was Remainers who were jumping back on the 'Project Fear' bandwagon, trying to link vaccine manufacturing in the EU with the UK having left the EU & the UK being at the back of a mythological queue for any vaccine manufactured in the EU. 

Scare tactics once again.  Makes me wonder will 'Project Fear' be finally wound up in 28 days? 

Edited by Baron99

32 minutes ago, RJRB said:

It does of course speak volumes for the value of the widest possible cooperation in medicine and numerous other fields which Brexit supporters appear happy to put at some risk.

Certainly. But that notion is completely academic by now.

22 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

As you say, it has sod all to do with Brexit but as I stated earlier, go back to the pages when agencies were starting to come together to begin the prep work on a vaccine & you'll find that it was Remainers who were jumping back on the 'Project Fear' bandwagon, trying to link vaccine manufacturing in the EU with the UK having left the EU & the UK being at the back of a mythological queue for any vaccine manufactured in the EU. 

Scare tactics once again.  Makes me wonder will 'Project Fear' be finally wound up in 28 days? 

I guess we'll all find out soon enough, not long to wait now :)

45 minutes ago, RJRB said:

It does raise an interesting question of what happens if the EMA rejects the Pfizer vaccine after the MHRA has approved it. Can't see it happening but it would create a few fireworks.

12 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

It does raise an interesting question of what happens if the EMA rejects the Pfizer vaccine after the MHRA has approved it. Can't see it happening but it would create a few fireworks.

Nothing would happen. The MHRA approved Pfizer's vaccine early, under a national emergency prerogative independently of the EMA (moreover, from which it becomes fully and permanently decoupled -in statutory and jurisdictional terms- in 28 days' time when the WA and its effects cease).

Just now, L00b said:

Nothing would happen. The MHRA approved Pfizer's vaccine early, under a national emergency prerogative independently of the EMA (moreover, from which it becomes fully and permanently decoupled -in statutory and jurisdictional terms- in 28 days' time when the WA and its effects cease).

I appreciate that legally, I was thinking more of the reaction of the British population, many of which have already expressed scepticism over any vaccine.

38 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

I appreciate that legally, I was thinking more of the reaction of the British population, many of which have already expressed scepticism over any vaccine.

Would the British population (at large) even understand the significance of that disconnect betwern the MHRA and the EMA, if it happened?

And even if it did, with the volumes of snake oil that the British population has been ingesting for over 5 years, still without any heads rolling anywhere...

....I really don't think you have anything to fear about a hypothetical reaction of the British population: all divided that it stands, and notwithstanding how knowledgeable much/most of it may well be, it's still as apathetic as ever.

I really don't mean any disrespect here. But after the past few years, between Greenfell, Windrush, Brexit, Covid mismanagement, PPE cronyism, Parliament abuse, outright lying to the Queen, explosion in food banks, UC fiasco, <etc, etc, etc> I genuinely have no idea what it would take to provoke a reaction of any significance amongst the British.

Edited by L00b

1 hour ago, L00b said:

The EMA won't have any extra data to look at. The  MHRA started analysing the data available much earlier than the EMA.  Less  bureaucracy and the MHRA being the first regulator out of the starting block are the main reasons why the UK regulators have made their decision  quicker than the EU (EMA) and the US.