Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

I see Carole Cadwalladr has conceded there was absolutely no evidence to support her well publicised claims in the Observer (and subsequently the BBC, TED talks etc etc) that Aaron Banks broke the law with the Leave.EU campaign and that there was Russian interference via Banks in Brexit.

Oh dear. If the person who made the claims initially can't provide any evidence, then perhaps those that want to believe it might actually think again.

1 hour ago, the_bloke said:

I see Carole Cadwalladr has conceded there was absolutely no evidence to support her well publicised claims in the Observer (and subsequently the BBC, TED talks etc etc) that Aaron Banks broke the law with the Leave.EU campaign and that there was Russian interference via Banks in Brexit.

Oh dear. If the person who made the claims initially can't provide any evidence, then perhaps those that want to believe it might actually think again.

Since you haven't seen fit to provide any context I will. From Press Gazette

Cadwalladr told Press Gazette she had withdrawn the truth defence because of Mr Justice Saini’s recent determination on the meaning of her words.

“He has ruled that when I said Arron Banks lied about his relationship with the Russian government, it was ‘in relation to acceptance of foreign funding’,” she said.

“But these are not words I have ever said. On the contrary, I’ve always been very clear that there is no evidence that Banks accepted Russian funding.

A statement from Cadwalladr’s legal team on Thursday said: “In a libel case, the judge decides the meaning of the words complained of. After the judgment in December last year, Arron Banks dropped effectively two-thirds of his case against me and was ordered to pay costs.

“We have had a further hearing in the case to consider the judge’s meaning as a result of which I have now dropped two out of my three defences and was ordered to pay costs, leaving the public interest defence to be argued at trial. This is very common in libel cases.

Similarly, when Banks dropped some of his claims

But Banks has now discontinued his High Court claim against another talk made by Cadwalladr in June last year in which she said: “We know that the Russian Government offered money to Arron Banks. And so, there’s still question marks.”

Ruling on the meaning of the words last month, Mr Justice Saini said: “In my judgment, the natural and ordinary meaning of the words was: Mr. Banks has been offered money by the Russians and (by way of inference) that there are substantial grounds to investigate whether he would be willing to accept such funds in violation of prohibitions on foreign electoral funding.”

Banks also dropped his claim against a tweet in which Cadwalladr said an investigation into possible corruption in Italian politics involving Russians was a “mirror image of Arron Banks + Russians”.

Mr Justice Saini had ruled the tweet did “carry a form of factual meaning”.

I'm sure you wouldn't argue that by doing so Banks was conceding that he had accepted money from the Russians.

So much more a matter of legal technicalities than your post implies.

22 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

This is hilarious. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9000815/Furious-British-expats-blast-EUs-new-post-Brexit-travel-rules.html

Not actually “new” at all. Literally what leavers voted for and the Mail insisted on.

Surely they are not expats if it's just a holiday home.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

This is hilarious. 

If the Mail thinks standard visa duration for 3rd country nationals throughout the EU is outrageous, and you think this is funny...

...just wait until the Mail finds out how home/villa owners from 3rd countries are treated for tax in some of these countries ;) :D

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

This is hilarious. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9000815/Furious-British-expats-blast-EUs-new-post-Brexit-travel-rules.html

Not actually “new” at all. Literally what leavers voted for and the Mail insisted on.

Unbelievable!  The EU treating us as an non-EU country after we've... <checks notes> ...left the EU.

On 27/11/2020 at 15:23, altus said:

I think you've missed a Loob joke about our weaker position negotiating a trade deal with India from outside the EU.

As for colonialism, the people you helped put in charge of sorting out brexit are the ones who came up with the Empire 2.0 proposals what were so roundly rejected by commonwealth countries precisely because they were an attempt to reimpose colonialist attitudes.

There was no such thing as Empire 2.0 Proposals.

15 hours ago, the_bloke said:

I have serious concerns about foreign money being used in UK democratic processes, I wonder what Carole's opinion is of the hundreds of thousands donated to the Remain campaign by Hungarian billionaire George Soros and American billionaire Michael Bloomberg?

Edited by sadbrewer

16 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

I have serious concerns about foreign money being used in UK democratic processes, I wonder what Carole's opinion is of the hundreds of thousands donated to the Remain campaign by Hungarian billionaire George Soros and American billionaire Michael Bloomberg?

Then do something about it, like Carole has.

On 30/11/2020 at 15:22, altus said:

Surely they are not expats if it's just a holiday home.

Presumably by "expat" you mean immigrant.

17 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Presumably by "expat" you mean immigrant.

I was just using the Mail's phrase for context. :)

5 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Then do something about it, like Carole has.

Apologies I didn't know she'd challenged the Remain funding.