Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute.

In addition to remoaner we are also not going to allow the use of libdums or liebore - if you cannot behave like adults and post without recourse to these childish insults then please refrain from posting. If you have a problem with this then you all know where the helpdesk is. 

• Haha 1

Surely nothing is going to change until after 31 December 2020?

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I thought Boris was supposed to be making a deal with the EU - or is he after an "Australian deal"?

And this is the year we're going to find out what the real changes in 2021 will be. If we don't get a deal for financial services then things might be pretty bleak for the likes of HS2, the 40 new hospitals (as if), the 30k extra nurses, "levelling up" etc.

On 14 February 2020 at 20:04, Baron99 said:

On a contingency basis, that depends on whether you are active or retired and, if active, whether your business/employer is an exporter or not...

...in which case, tons should change long before 01/01/21, if you want to try and maintain your exports: you need to gear for the whole caboodle of import/export procedures, from getting an EORI number (easiest and most basic issue) to contracting with a carrier with enough ECMTs in hand to guarantee your delivery performance, besides hiring/training/costing it all and informing your foreign customers accordingly...and I've not mentioned certs of origin, SADs and more. It's a long-a55 list, put it that way.

On a practical basis, a lot has already changed at street level for the EU27 in UK and the Brits in EU, besides the already-long list of bodies, jobs, assets and activities departed from the UK (the documented ones, as I'm not talking about estimated loss of FDI/opportunities here).

E.g. EU27 employers have been dismissing CVs of British applicants for months now, because Brits won't be mobile across the EU27 for the business needs, like EU nationals will. No more FoM cuts both ways.

On a personal basis, if you will be travelling to the EU27 this year, get ready for frequent delays as custom officers continue to get trained on the job at EU ports and airports on the run up to January 2021.

If you'll be driving towards year end, might be a good idea to look into a green card from your insurer, conditions of validity for your UK driving license, the small print on your travel insurance (esp. healthcare clauses), the validity remaining on your passport (different periods for non-EU)...oh, and yeah, don't take the pet.

Edited by L00b
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, L00b said:

On a contingency basis, that depends on whether you are active or retired and, if active, whether your business/employer is an exporter or not...

...in which case, tons should change long before 01/01/21, if you want to try and maintain your exports: you need to gear for the whole caboodle of import/export procedures, from getting an EORI number (easiest and most basic issue) to contracting with a carrier with enough ECMTs in hand to guarantee your delivery performance, besides hiring/training/costing it all and informing your foreign customers accordingly...and I've not mentioned certs of origin, SADs and more. It's a long-a55 list, put it that way.

On a practical basis, a lot has already changed at street level for the EU27 in UK and the Brits in EU, besides the already-long list of bodies, jobs, assets and activities departed from the UK (the documented ones, as I'm not talking about estimated loss of FDI/opportunities here).

E.g. EU27 employers have been dismissing CVs of British applicants for months now, because Brits won't be mobile across the EU27 for the business needs, like EU nationals will. No more FoM cuts both ways.

On a personal basis, if you will be travelling to the EU27 this year, get ready for frequent delays as custom officers continue to get trained on the job at EU ports and airports on the run up to January 2021.

If you'll be driving towards year end, might be a good idea to look into a green card from your insurer, conditions of validity for your UK driving license, the small print on your travel insurance (esp. healthcare clauses), the validity remaining on your passport (different periods for non-EU)...oh, and yeah, don't take the pet.

Yeah, but they're all just facts. When I renew my passport it will be blue. Imagine how good that will feel, whilst queuing for hours.

Edited by Bargepole23

26 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Yeah, but they're all just facts. When I renew my passport it will be blue. Imagine how good that will feel, whilst queuing for hours.

OK, so here's another for you: there never was any requirement for the UK to introduce the EU-typical burgundy colour in 1988 (the UK government did that voluntarily then), it could have stayed dark blue the entire time (or the dark blue reintroduced at any time since, irrespective of EU membership).

Croatia is an EU member state, and has stuck with its dark blue passport.

2 minutes ago, L00b said:

OK, so here's another for you: there never was any requirement for the UK to introduce the EU-typical burgundy colour in 1988 (the UK government did that voluntarily then), it could have stayed dark blue the entire time (or the dark blue reintroduced at any time since, irrespective of EU membership).

Croatia is an EU member state, and has stuck with its dark blue passport.

Yes, but Croatia doesn’t get to choose the shape of its own bananas.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Yes, but Croatia doesn’t get to choose the shape of its own bananas.

It does, and always did, like every other EU member state.

What it doesn't get to choose, is how to classify them for cross-border trading purposes. Which makes perfect sense, when one is trying to harmonise quality levels and nomenclature for goods commonly and freely traded across 28 27 markets.

Is this Pop-a-Euromyth Day and I've missed the memo or something? Because there's a few hundreds more to go, if that's the case :gag:

Just now, L00b said:

It does, and always did, like every other EU member state.

What it doesn't get to choose, is how to classify them for cross-border trading purposes. Which makes perfect sense, when one is trying to harmonise quality levels and nomenclature for goods commonly and freely traded across 28 27 markets.

Is this Pop-a-Euromyth Day and I've missed the memo or something? Because there's a few hundreds more to go, if that's the case :gag:

😀

Sometimes I love this place

This happened recently, but during the temporary closure of thread #8, so posting it by way of notice to any thread reader who is a UK customer of N26 (online bank): N26 is leaving the UK because of Brexit, and your account is being closed this 15 April.

Not sure why UK customers are feeling 'betrayed', because this was a very long predicted consequence of Brexit, since before the Referendum. Maybe they didn't connect the dots between Brexit, a German bank and MiFID II.

The slow pivoting of the German economy away from the UK may be playing a part in N26's decision. German exports to the UK in 2019 were down £3bn (4%) relative to 2018, down 6% over the past 3 years (versus up 7% with the other EU26 member states), downgrading the UK from 5th to 7th trading partner for Germany. Perhaps someone wants to tell Truss and Frost that the German car manufacturers aren't coming.

Edited by L00b

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

I remember when my wife & I landed at Miami International about 8 years ago.  There we were frantically waving our EU passports & you know what, they totally ignored us, the plebs.   We were stood in line for a good half hour. 

A few years later at Jose Marti Airport in Havana, we tried it again, frantically waving our little burgundy travel documents.  Nobody took a blind bit of notice.  They probably thought we were trying to cool ourselves down as we sweltered in the heat for 90 mins before we were let into Cuba.  

That little burgundy document of joy counts for very little out in the bigger world.  Strangely, I remember travelling on my first dark blue UK passport years ago & at that time, (I guess the world has changed though), travelling through Europe, especially by train, all that was required at borders was to wave it at officials.  Once they saw the coat of arms, that was go enough for them. 

Funny enough, even owning an EU passport doesn't mean you can just 'swan' into an EU country.  You still need to queue & be checked through immigration, admittedly its is slightly quicker entering an EU country but its still there. 

I'm not bothered if it going to take 10 or 15 mins at the start of my holiday to get into an EU country after 31/12/20 as long as I can then 'swan'  back through UK Immigration while waving my burgundy EU passport, (ours aren't up for renewal until 2024), at the  EU citizens being forced to similarly queue up to have their documents checked to get into the UK, while our citizens get preference, when we get off the plane. 

Edited by Baron99

30 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

(...)

Funny enough, even owning an EU passport doesn't mean you can just 'swan' into an EU country.  You still need to queue & be checked through immigration, admittedly its is slightly quicker entering an EU country but its still there. 

(...)

Well, that would depend on whether the border is between two Schengen'd EU countries, or not.

Given that the UK never was Schengen'd, that is why you would never 'swan' into any EU country, coming from the UK.

But I 'swan', without waving any kind of documentation whatsoever, between 3 and sometimes even 4 countries, on the same day, every other week. Breakfast in Lux, grocery shopping in Belgium or Germany, afternoon stroll and evening dinner in France. A convenience withdrawn from resident Brits after January, by the way (since they'll become subject to 3rd country national treatment for immigration purposes, in all EU states but their EU state of residence as of 31/12/20).

You're not be bothered, but by that token I doubt you've given much thought to the thousands of Brits who'll be forced to queue for hours to get to, and home from, work in Gibraltar come January. Not to worry, the Spaniards can have it back before long :)

Edited by L00b
  • Like 1