Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

Yes Trastrick,

I think Brexit has shown up the inadequacy of our government, which has been coasting for years, blaming the EU for problems, and not dealing with our issues.

Considering the size and cost of our government for what is a relatively small country, that is disgraceful.

Edited by Anna B

4 hours ago, Magilla said:

Another Brexit claim, that it would lead to renaissance in UK manufacturing... isn't happening :?

You conveniently left out this bit, "This has led many to predict that it would cause a particularly big fall in exports to the EU" and then it states later down that.... "it has not come to pass". 

28 minutes ago, West 77 said:

More bias anti democratic nonsense.  I repeat Brexit is a long term project and it will take a number of years before the benefits of not paying into the EU budget are felt.  The implementation of Brexit cost billions more to implement than it would have done if our politicians had all respected the democratic choice the electorate had made and hadn't blocked Brexit for months before it was finally implemented. It needs the correct government polices to maximise the future benefits of Brexit and to be fair to the current government they have had many unforeseen and unprecedented issues to deal with since the UK officially left the EU.

Unadulterated hogwash on a stick.

There is no version of a still harder Brexit (your clear implication per bit in bold) that would cost less to implement, than the current version is already costing (and which *was* costed by Osborne, then promptly derided as a ‘Project Fear’).

Because the harder the Brexit, the more domestic agencies you need to create and staff, for replacing those which part of the ‘350m’ was paying for in pooled form, so as to maintain your exports (regulatory compliance with international standards, e.g. REACH).

It’s not been for the lack of telling your lot, for years: there is *no* economic rationale to Brexit for the UK. None whatsoever.

You still want to do it, fair enough, that is your democratic right, and you are exercising it. But don’t try and justify it on economic grounds pegged to the 50+ years never-never. Because no amount of regulatory divergence will make the UK more competitive than other 3rd party countries.

Own your s***.

Edited by L00b

30 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

You conveniently left out this bit, "This has led many to predict that it would cause a particularly big fall in exports to the EU" and then it states later down that.... "it has not come to pass".

It wasn't conveniently left out...

Exports between the UK and the EU have returned to pre-pandemic levels, but they're not "on-track" compared to countries with similar economies which have shown much stronger growth in trade activity over the same period :?

Brexit is effectively a drag on increasing exports, and the raison d'être many held up as justification for it in the first place is unlikely to happen.

You highlight two Brexit negatives, obviously unintentionally :thumbsup::roll:

Just now, Dromedary said:

A couple of personal anecdotes, from my time in Lincs, 2000 - 2005.

My partner's mom's property on one side was adjacent to a walkway from Main St to the new housing development. She received a notice to repair the fence from the council. I said I'd help her.  The top rail was rotted out all the way along, so I got some new rail lumber and replaced it, along with a few new boards. Lick o' paint, and Bingo!

She got another notice. The fence, although in existence for years, was 6 inches higher than EU regulation, and because it had been repaired to the existing old standard, was now illegal. It was ordered to be taken down and rebuilt in it's entirety, 6 inches shorter.  Poor old lady.  I told her to tear up the court order and throw herself on the mercy of the local council, but she wasn't too happy about that either. Anyway, the bureaucrats had done their job, threatening legal action, and she never heard anymore about it.

In the local pubs, everybody was talking about the ridiculous new regulations on serving sizes, beer ingredients and labeling, But what I saw there and in Sheffield was historic old pubs (my hobby, Lol) that had to be gutted of their old snugs and rooms that couldn't be observed from the managers station, and quaint, sunken well  worn threshold steps, and low ceilings,

They wanted to turn them all into some McDonald like hybrids, run by clueless uni students. Progress!

I left before it all got done, but there was definitely a general dislike of being ruled on simple things from faceless bureaucrats in Luxemberg, or wherever they were.

It was obvious to me that the average folks were against it all, and no surprise to me at all when they voted out!

53 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The implementation of Brexit cost billions more to implement than it would have done if our politicians had all respected the democratic choice the electorate had made and hadn't blocked Brexit for months before it was finally implemented.

If those extra costs exist at all, which is debatable, they would be under the "before a multitude of knock on effects" bit :?

2 hours ago, butlers said:

What a load of usual twitter rubbish! :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Dromedary said:

What a load of usual twitter rubbish! :rolleyes:

Overblown, certainly since GBP wasn't 2 USD before Brexit, but rubbish...

...nope :roll:

Sterling just hit a two year low against the Dollar on the back of post-Brexit trade tensions, and is predicted to continue dropping for the rest of the decade as a result... it will inevitably be having some consequence re: fuel prices.

Edited by Magilla

All major Western currencies have reached recent lows against the mighty dollar.

British pound, Euro and Canadian dollar.

Can't blame the Euro low on Brexit  :)

But Putin's Ruble has taken off, thanks to the EU's dependency on Russian Oil and Gas Fossil Fuels.

The War Criminal Tyrant now has more money for more weapons, and more dead Ukrainians.

32 minutes ago, trastrick said:

All major Western currencies have reached recent lows against the mighty dollar.

....somewhat undermining your pearl-clutching day job :thumbsup: :roll:

Weird, I don't see warnings of "post-Brexit trade tensions" being highlighted as reasons for most other currencies :?

Edited by Magilla

6 years on from *that* vote, it is worth reminding ourselves what was promised to the electorate by Vote Leave…

…and letting readers compare and contrast those promises with what had been achieved.

🍿