Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

On 24/09/2021 at 09:07, Tony said:

Let's examine that @Dardandec. Oh, let's not waste time though because while the UK apparently needs 100k drivers, Poland is short of 124k drivers. Wherever those who were working in the UK have gone, it's certainly not back to Poland.

I did a quick trawl through news media from the continent last night. I didn't find any stories of shortages in supermarkets or at the petrol pump. Why are we having a problem with logistics while EU countries, to the extent of my search, are not?

[The 100k and I would hazard the 124k numbers are BS. I have posted why elsewhere on this thread.]

And all of this, all the s***show because : Bloody foreigners, immigrants are taaaking ourrr joobs" 😆😆

3 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

I did a quick trawl through news media from the continent last night. I didn't find any stories of shortages in supermarkets or at the petrol pump. Why are we having a problem with logistics while EU countries, to the extent of my search, are not?

[The 100k and I would hazard the 124k numbers are BS. I have posted why elsewhere on this thread.]

I filled up this morning around 09:30, before a day trip. Was completely alone, no other cars about on the forecourt.

Plenty of gas-guzzling oldtimers and youngtimers driving about though, as it was rather splendid weather.

/LifeOnTheContinent

On 25/09/2021 at 11:54, altus said:

Government finally accepts it has to bend to reality - Lorry driver shortage: Government working on temporary visa scheme.

EU27 HGV/logistics professionals and experts that have been interviewed since this measure was aired last week, are pretty unanimous that it will not work.

This is a useful compendium of the reasons why:

https://orynski.eu/20-reasons-why-there-is-shortage-of-drivers-in-the-uk/

Interesting views from the boss of the company that sells 27% of all the turkeys sold at christmas

Prepare for buying french turkeys at christmas while UK turkey farms stand empty

Just remember one thing, no tails of woe in this country will ever be anything to do with Brexit. Us remainers  are not allowed to think for ourselves and have to be shushed.

As our previous membership, as the way it was,  is irretrievable, this is what we are left with. You got what you wanted.

As the saying goes, play silly games win silly prizes. Well, you won them, enjoy.  :cool:  

Edited by Dardandec

I have two things.

1.  The English press and government  quickly point out that we in europe have a shortage of drivers, it comes over to me  that it is some kind of competition. In europe they knew 25 years ago that there were going to be shortages and they would be getting worse if nothing was done. With the open borders the big producers tended to close small factories and build one big one for the whole european market, it was cheaper  to truck the produce everywhere.  On top of this the shift of production to China and to a smaller degree eastern europe, our roads in western europe were clogging up.  The EU set up the Trans European Transport Network. Solution of part of the problem would be shiffing long haul freight unto the railways and rivers. One example of many, The Betuwelijn in The Netherland. the track is freight only from the Port of Rotterdam direct to the Ruhr in Germany.  All major rail projects take many years and loads of money, this one was started in the mid nineties and was completed in 2007. 

In 2017 it had transported 1.5 milion containers that year and was operating at a capacity of 50 procent.  The same was build in Belgium called the Iron Rhine. 

2. When Poland joined the EU most large transport companies in Western Europe set up a company in Poland and run there trucks with Polish drivers from there, it was a big cost saver. Another big segmont is the self employed truck drivers who operate their own truck.

When you drive on the moterway half of the trucks drive with east european plates, so there must be a huge number of trucks from there.

You don't see any polish drivers on Belgium or dutch plated trucks. That defeats the object, you would have to pay them the same wages as the dutch drivers and they are much higher. It works because the cost of living in Poland is a lot lower, so therefore they make a good living.

7 hours ago, mafya said:

Nobody is blaming it all on Brexit.

People blame the fact that supply chains are worst-affected in the UK, on Brexit.

There are no empty shelves, nor empty petrol forecourts, nor panic buying of anything, nor curtailed blood tests due to vials shortages, nor <…> in the EU27. Nor in Northern Ireland, because it is still in the Single Market.

There’s over 5 years’ worth of expert analyses and commentary on consequences expected from various forms of Brexit, for most sectors of the British economy. Now might be a good time to start peeling off the ‘Project Fear’ tags that were quickly plastered all over those, and learn and adapt from them instead.

Or don’t, and continue downwards, regrettably. Same difference for the rest of the world, tbh.

Edited by L00b

10 hours ago, L00b said:

Nobody is blaming it all on Brexit.

I can't help thinking that it would be cathartic for Brexiteers to admit that Brexit comes at a price even if you think it was a price worth paying. A thing doesn't have to be without any drawbacks to be worth doing, so how about a bit of honesty. Come on Brexiteers, there must be one amongst you who would be prepared to admit 'yeah, absent Brexit we wouldn't have the current difficulty getting petrol to the garages.' You'd still be allowed to think Brexit is a good thing.

Edited by Carbuncle

21 hours ago, melthebell said:

Interesting views from the boss of the company that sells 27% of all the turkeys sold at christmas

Prepare for buying french turkeys at christmas while UK turkey farms stand empty

Never gonna happen.

Brexiters have made it perfectly clear they would sooner eat bread and water, as long as they left the EU.

And now they will.

We all will.