Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

1 hour ago, L00b said:

😐

’Must admit, I did not have fuel rationing as a Brexit consequence 😬

Just the sort of thing to get Britain great again, rationing like we had during the war  :)

On 22/09/2021 at 18:10, L00b said:

Nord Stream 2 and EU/Russia relations are certainly relevant to the IEM, I have not suggested any differently.

But since the UK has left the IEM, whatever happens with/to the IEM is of no relevance to the UK - and reciprocally.

Practically, and pragmatically, the market situation translates as:

E_yKmUSVgAABml9?format=jpg&name=large

I’ve acknowledged that Brexit is only an aspect of the energy crisis/shock, as it is unfurling in the UK (it is also unfurling most everywhere else, of course).

After that, if you’re after a willy-waving contest about the UK’s resilience of energy supply vs that of the EU, I’m not interested: Brexit does not give the UK, or the EU27, any particular “advantage” one over the other, under the energy supply guarantees in the ‘oven ready’ TCA.

No willy waving from me @L00b, quite the opposite. I'm just bemused how confirmation bias still hangs on with some people five years after the Brexit vote, living in the past, inward looking, constantly banging on about the Empire. And that's just the Remainers. ;)  

Let's look at today's tomorrow prices. 

uekpv3V.png

Not much for anyone to get excited about there, it's all very depressing unless you're Russian. This is not the fault of Brexit. There have undoubtedly been failings in energy practice for decades but the problem today is Germany <> Russia and Nord Stream 2 which breaks the EU's regulations.

From what I can tell, Russia has put Germany and the EU in the same position that they put Ukraine back in the noughties and we're all suffering now. It can be solved relatively quickly with domestic fracking but it might be a very tough winter if the EU doesn't roll over and either change the regs or ignore Germany allowing the breaking of them. I'd predict the latter but time will tell. 

My recommendation is to worry less about imagining every last thing is about Brexit and buy a big coat.

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

Give over, lorry drivers were some of the unsung heroes of the pandemic, they worked all through it, why is it, suddenly as soon as restrictions are lifted, the need to isolate when pinged, most people are vaccinated they all disappear?

And dont give me that guff about underpaid, hard job, less tests, they were fine pre brexit

They really weren't, there are plenty of articles knocking about showing a shortage of drivers. Average age is quite high, not enough new blood coming in, a problem exacerbated by covid. The gap was plugged by EU drivers and we sent them back. 

Not just a brexit problem but its made a bad situation alot worse.

20 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

They really weren't, there are plenty of articles knocking about showing a shortage of drivers. Average age is quite high, not enough new blood coming in, a problem exacerbated by covid. The gap was plugged by EU drivers and we sent them back. 

the main point was Brexit, we sent back the ones we needed, then we ended up with a massive shortfall, the main bit was before covid

28 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Us oldies dont need another test for the large vans etc and then from the large vans people move up to HGV

49 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

The gap was plugged by EU drivers and we sent them back.

An estimated 19.000 according to news reports, but its nothing to do with Brexit apparently. That old chestnut, wearing a bit thin now you leavers, you need to quit it.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Us oldies dont need another test for the large vans etc and then from the large vans people move up to HGV

The difference between putting a large van on a loading bay and 40ft artic is really very big. 

10 hours ago, Dardandec said:

An estimated 19.000 according to news reports, but its nothing to do with Brexit apparently. That old chestnut, wearing a bit thin now you leavers, you need to quit it.

Let's examine that @Dardandec. Oh, let's not waste time though because while the UK apparently needs 100k drivers, Poland is short of 124k drivers. Wherever those who were working in the UK have gone, it's certainly not back to Poland.

9 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

The difference between putting a large van on a loading bay and 40ft artic is really very big. 

It's a well made point @tinfoilhat.  Skilled Polish truck drivers are like Lithuanian plumbers, Nigerian doctors, Romanian fruit pickers, Philippino nurses and Bangladeshi chambermaids. They all have skills that the UK needs every day of every year.

Shortages are not caused by Brexit. The cause is a systematic failure to invest in training, pay, conditions and even prestige that all these jobs should carry.

Brexit has exposed the filthy underbelly of that failure of First World nations to invest in young people and business because it is easier to ship in workers from Second and Third World nations, pay them in buttons and treat them like crap while denying their home countries of much needed and expensively acquired skills.

Personally, I couldn't give a stuff if somebody has to go next door to buy vegetables because their preferred supermarket had two instead of three trucks that day. Go play your tiny violins somewhere else. It stinks. It's the height of decadence and I really hope it's over and that we start realising that the UK needs to invest in our youngsters as well as those who's working lives are disrupted by changes in technology and society. 

Edited by Tony

15 minutes ago, Tony said:

Let's examine that @Dardandec. Oh, let's not waste time though because while the UK apparently needs 100k drivers, Poland is short of 124k drivers. Wherever those who were working in the UK have gone, it's certainly not back to Poland.

It's a well made point @tinfoilhat.  Skilled Polish truck drivers are like Lithuanian plumbers, Nigerian doctors, Romanian fruit pickers, Philippino nurses and Bangladeshi chambermaids. They all have skills that the UK needs every day of every year.

Shortages are not caused by Brexit. The cause is a systematic failure to invest in training, pay, conditions and even prestige that all these jobs should carry.

Brexit has exposed the filthy underbelly of that failure of First World nations to invest in young people and business because it is easier to ship in workers from Second and Third World nations, pay them in buttons and treat them like crap while denying their home countries of much needed and expensively acquired skills.

Personally, I couldn't give a stuff if somebody has to go next door to buy vegetables because their preferred supermarket had two instead of three trucks that day. Go play your tiny violins somewhere else. It stinks. It's the height of decadence and I really hope it's over and that we start realising that the UK needs to invest in our youngsters as well as those who's working lives are disrupted by changes in technology and society. 

Classic case of denial.Brexit is a disaster no doubt you believe the ' evil' EU going to collapse at any minute the only union that is going to collapse is the one called United Kingdom the pressure cooker is full on. Yes I agree we should help our own but we have an aging population we need to look at facts not wishful thinking. 

27 minutes ago, West 77 said:

All this foreign lorry driver appreciation is rather amusing.  Up in to a few weeks ago I never heard anyone say a good word about any foreign lorry drivers.  All you heard were people complaining about their alleged driving skills and accident near misses.  Their speciality of course is ignoring  signs to avoid low bridges.  And of course the eastern European's party trick is to have a bottle of vodka in one hand and a mobile phone in the other hand while behind the wheel.

I think you hang around with alot racists tbqhwy.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

But we are now putting forward plans to train drivers but won't include reversing in the test. That's going to be fun.

5 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I think you hang around with alot racists tbqhwy.

But we are now putting forward plans to train drivers but won't include reversing in the test. That's going to be fun.

They won't be able to drive anywhere because we are about to run out of fuel. Stories of panic buying and huge queues all over the country this morning.

10 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Yea, I thought that was a bit barmy too. So barmy that it didn't sound credible and I checked and found out that it's not true. I hear that Polish HGV drivers haven't passed a HGV test, preferring to rely on their tractor driving test instead.

None of this is really very helpful when there's a worldwide shortage of truck drivers. It's the height of Little Britain thinking to believe that the UK deserves HGV drivers any more than anywhere else.