Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

4 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I thought you'd be happy, BP closing stations is stopping people's freedom of movement in their cars.

Hmmm... :huh:

I thought that was the Council?... :confused:

50 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Why have you posted this information on this thread which has nothing to do with the shortage of lorry drivers?

Quite right.

It should go on the shortage of Lorry drivers  thread.

Crops rotting in the fields should have it’s own thread,as should shortage of care home workers workers .Not to forget the shortage of ancillary hospital staff and the plight of the fishing industry.

Get the drift.

Dont mention B****t.

I nearly did but I think I got away with it.

Supermarket shelves are slowly thinning in products but Northern Ireland shelves are full but then again they are still in the Single market which proves the benefits of been in trading block. 

9 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Yes there should be a shortage of lorry drivers thread.  There is a shortage of lorry drivers in countries that haven't recently left the EU.  On one of the news channels yesterday they interviewed a real life self employed British lorry driver.  The lorry driver said over the last few years many lorry drivers have found alternative work because they felt treated badly due to low pay and not being appreciated for the hard work they do. The lorry driver said a few years ago it had to accept any job offered to him just to make a basic living.  The lorry driver said today his phone never stops ringing and he can afford to cherry pick which jobs he accepts to do.  The truth is there is a shortage of lorry drivers at the moment because for years they have been undervalued  and too many have left the industry as a consequence. 

Not credible. If this were simply a long term issue then it would not 'suddenly' have appeared.

17 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Yes there should be a shortage of lorry drivers thread.  There is a shortage of lorry drivers in countries that haven't recently left the EU.  On one of the news channels yesterday they interviewed a real life self employed British lorry driver.  The lorry driver said over the last few years many lorry drivers have found alternative work because they felt treated badly due to low pay and not being appreciated for the hard work they do. The lorry driver said a few years ago it had to accept any job offered to him just to make a basic living.  The lorry driver said today his phone never stops ringing and he can afford to cherry pick which jobs he accepts to do.  The truth is there is a shortage of lorry drivers at the moment because for years they have been undervalued  and too many have left the industry as a consequence.  Nothing to do with Brexit.

Unbelievable  logic.

Yes unbelievable logic by leaving the worlds biggest trading block with no plan getting the begging bowl out for any  old trade deal with any old country that gives the other side everything they want and going cap in hand to the US hoping for a deal only for the door to be slammed shut. Yeah this Brexit working really well isn't😂😂

Edited by GabrielC

Consequences of Brexit.

Exodus of foreign HGV drivers...crisis in supply chain...relax rules to entice them back?

Seems sensible.

Boris and his sycophants?  Won't allow it.  Utter clowns.

2 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Eighteen months in a pandemic are bringing many problems to a head.

Yes unbelievable logic because Northern Ireland supermarkets rely on having fully stocked shelves from having deliveries coming from mainland Britain.

Wrong. Northern Ireland supermarkets have been sourcing their products from the Irish Republic remember the border is open with no checks also products from other EU countries to make up the shortfall. Their are no shortages in the EU thanks to the Single market only in the UK due to lack of freedom of movement.

16 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Eighteen months in a pandemic are bringing many problems to a head.

Give over, lorry drivers were some of the unsung heroes of the pandemic, they worked all through it, why is it, suddenly as soon as restrictions are lifted, the need to isolate when pinged, most people are vaccinated they all disappear?

And dont give me that guff about underpaid, hard job, less tests, they were fine pre brexit

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

BP has warned it has had to "temporarily" close some of its petrol stations due to a shortage of lorry drivers.

Send in the Army?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58645712

😐

’Must admit, I did not have fuel rationing as a Brexit consequence 😬

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

Yes there should be a shortage of lorry drivers thread.  There is a shortage of lorry drivers in countries that haven't recently left the EU.  On one of the news channels yesterday they interviewed a real life self employed British lorry driver.  The lorry driver said over the last few years many lorry drivers have found alternative work because they felt treated badly due to low pay and not being appreciated for the hard work they do. The lorry driver said a few years ago it had to accept any job offered to him just to make a basic living.  The lorry driver said today his phone never stops ringing and he can afford to cherry pick which jobs he accepts to do.  The truth is there is a shortage of lorry drivers at the moment because for years they have been undervalued  and too many have left the industry as a consequence.  Nothing to do with Brexit.

Unbelievable  logic.

You miss the point.

Yes there is a shortage of home grown lorry drivers,doctors ,care workers  and that’s is why from time to time we have needed to augment our workforce in any number of directions.

Boris is stupidly saying at this time of many crises and difficulties that he wants better pay for British workers to make certain jobs more attractive.

What have they done in their years in power to achieve this ambition.

And it’s still not going to happen in a timely way if at all.

1 hour ago, Carbuncle said:

Not credible. If this were simply a long term issue then it would not 'suddenly' have appeared.

It actually is a long-term issue in the UK, and other places too.

But Brexit just worsens it, relative to other countries that haven’t left the EU.

Because it’s still just as easy for a Bulgarian or Romanian HGV driver to take a higher-paying job in France or Germany, as it’s been for 20-odd years. 

But with the end of FoM, the UK is now off the books: HGV in the UK is too many immigration hoops to jump through, and doesn’t pay enough, relative to the EU27 job market competition.

Add the 20-odd thousands EU27 HGV drivers who left the UK in the past few years, plus the lack of UK exports to load for return trips to the Continent since 01/01/21, to the mix and there’s your supply chain crisis.

Edited by L00b

10 minutes ago, L00b said:
2 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

It actually is a long-term issue in the UK, and other places too.

But Brexit just worsens it, relative to other countries that haven’t left the EU.

I am not disagreeing ... the bit of mine you quote contains the word 'simply'.

On the other hand, I am not agreeing either. What is the evidence there is a long-term issue? I know haulage associations in multiple countries suggest there is an issue but is there more concrete evidence? Ordinarily, one might expect the market to lure lapsed HGV drivers back in with better pay and conditions as I think they are now trying but that is recent as far as I know.