Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

58 minutes ago, Tony said:

By gum, @Carbuncleyou're probably the first person who wants to stick strictly to the thread title. We'll have to remember that when somebody mentions buses. ;) 

Okay then, the consequences of Brexit. 

Australian submarines and the geopolitical shift of power and trade away from the EU to the Asia Pacific region.

Go! 

And stop already 🙃

That breach of AU sub contract has nothing whatsoever to do with Brexit, nor with its consequences, for France or the UK.

Tellingly, France recalled its ambassadors from the US and AU, but did not recall its ambassador from London. Must be a measure of how relevant the UK is, in that “geopolitical shift”.

When is the UK leaving NATO?

11 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Now that the EU have lost their most valuable and prestigious member it's only a matter of time before it collapses.

Germany aren't leaving the EU :rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Now that the EU have lost their most valuable and prestigious member

Germany's GDP is about 1/3rd more than the UK's.

it's only a matter of time before it collapses.

"only a matter of time" is so vague it's meaningless - after all, it's only a matter of time before the heat death of the universe.

The pandemic has given it a few more years because leaving the EU hasn't been on the top of the remaining members priority list for obvious reasons.

They've watched what's happened to the UK?

29 minutes ago, West 77 said:

You would say that wouldn't you?

The EU had a chance to save their bacon when David Cameron offered them a chance to reform.  Now that the EU have lost their most valuable and prestigious member it's only a matter of time before it collapses.  The pandemic has given it a few more years because leaving the EU hasn't been on the top of the remaining members priority list for obvious reasons.

The Common market was formed in 1953 and the U.K. was allowed to join in 1970 to enjoy the benefits of free trade across the community.

In your isolated little world  I am sure that you think that the U.K. is still the power that it might have been at certain times in our history.

The EEC enabled us to have a place at the top table,which in turn gave us a say in global affairs.

There will be a body of opinion in every country that thinks it would be better to go it alone,but I think that the obvious disadvantages which are being demonstrated on a daily basis here,will do nothing but strengthen the EU.

But I would say that....repeatedly.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10003883/UK-faces-crippled-perfect-storm-Covid-Brexit-soaring-gas-prices.html.                                                                                                  And as for the overstocked shelve that you refer to.

I chose the Mail article out of the many available as I feel that you may take heed from such a publication.

Still you have some sausages in your freezer,so no problem.

This thread is weird.

Surely everybody expected a short term economic hit from Brexit. It's a big change and even if you think it will be economically good in the long term you ought to expect negative consequences in the short term. But here we all are with the Brexiteers arguing tooth and nail against any and every short term hit. Why do we have to have the intellectual dishonesty? Difficult decisions taken come not just with positives but also with negatives that is what makes them difficult. Surely it would not hurt to admit that some problems come along with whatever it is each Brexiteer felt we would be getting from Brexit.

17 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

This thread is weird.

Surely everybody expected a short term economic hit from Brexit. It's a big change and even if you think it will be economically good in the long term you ought to expect negative consequences in the short term. But here we all are with the Brexiteers arguing tooth and nail against any and every short term hit. Why do we have to have the intellectual dishonesty? Difficult decisions taken come not just with positives but also with negatives that is what makes them difficult. Surely it would not hurt to admit that some problems come along with whatever it is each Brexiteer felt we would be getting from Brexit.

I'm with you there @Carbuncle, it is very weird. There is very little else but intellectual dishonesty throughout. The more entrenched somebody is, the more dishonest and intellectually vacant their arguments seem to be. There's very little discussion and even less effort made reach understanding.

It reminds me why I get bored here. I should know better than to expect opinions to change simply because time and situations have moved on. It's like listening to a bunch of old women moaning. 

c0cb7fc0dd6401397138005056a9545d

22 hours ago, Tony said:

I'm with you there @Carbuncle, it is very weird. There is very little else but intellectual dishonesty throughout. The more entrenched somebody is, the more dishonest and intellectually vacant their arguments seem to be. There's very little discussion and even less effort made reach understanding.

It reminds me why I get bored here. I should know better than to expect opinions to change simply because time and situations have moved on. It's like listening to a bunch of old women moaning. 

And that’s what politicians rely on in this age of fast news reporting.

Todays major issues get “boring” to much of the population so no need to actually get yesterday’s issues sorted.

Brexit isn’t sorted,the Pandemic continues,today it’s energy issues.

Actually concerns about energy supplies have been evident for years and what has been done to provide gas storage .Nothing which leaves us very vulnerable to other powers.

Brexit will never be done no matter what the Brexiteers think the world has moved on a lot since the sun set on the British Empire . Brexit for some seems to be a trip to their youth of a time seen though rose tinted glasses if you dare to question that view you are derailed as not believing enough.  Answer this question Brexiteers what are the up sides has their been since we left the EU why hasn't the EU fallen apart?

If the EU was so bad to be a member of why are countries queuing up to join ?

Because by working together we get better deals removes barriers to trade gives opportunity to grow and develop. Yes the EU needs improvement but they can be done by WORKING together and guess what it works keeps peace in Europe. Now we have a flag waving government complete with a Prime Minister who looks like who's just got out of bed and not a clue on how to use a hair brush running the show not forgetting the ERG who are trying to figure out of its possible to get the UK into outer space. The whole affair is so embarrassing and so unnecessary and pointless the economic damage is real but hey it's worth the trip down memory lane😂😂

If only they would all WORK TOGETHER. But they never have, and never will. There is a top two in the EU (sounds like the Premier League!) and they have their own agendas. If by working together they finish up as the top two, then that's fine. Any other outcome is unacceptable. Their domestic agenda - especially in France - is paramount. The next round of their elections is uppermost. 

We await the German elections, as they could be pivotal. Having expanded the EU to 28, now 27 nations it is impossible for them all to be happy all the time, having to dance to the Franco-German band.. Hence "eurodisobedience" growing Hungary and Poland, who are giving Brussels the finger. 

Yes, the UK needs a stable and prosperous EU, but I fear that within a decade it will collapse under its own weight. No doubt the French will blame us.......

Edited by Cyclecar
Spelling

42 minutes ago, Cyclecar said:

If only they would all WORK TOGETHER. But they never have, and never will. There is a top two in the EU (sounds like the Premier League!) and they have their own agendas. If by working together they finish up as the top two, then that's fine. Any other outcome is unacceptable. Their domestic agenda - especially in France - is paramount. The next round of their elections is uppermost. 

We await the German elections, as they could be pivotal. Having expanded the EU to 28, now 27 nations it is impossible for them all to be happy all the time, having to dance to the Franco-German band.. Hence "eurodisobedience" growing Hungary and Poland, who are giving Brussels the finger. 

Yes, the UK needs a stable and prosperous EU, but I fear that within a decade it will collapse under its own weight. No doubt the French will blame us.......

What makes me chuckle about Brexit we left the EU only for us wanting to join another union of sorts the Pacific nations one perhaps this could be the new British Empire but on the cheap  plus more flags to put behind Johnson well he is into flags after all.

With regards to the  EU's future  I think it will change in time perhaps becoming more a transparent economic union but let's be fair it's stop us getting the tanks out and playing soldiers who wants war over some stupid trade disagreement? Poland and Hungary despite the finger treatment they need the money there is no Soviet Union to prop them up now though Putin might help them at a price of course. 

The UK does need a Custom Union even if it's a bespoke one to  ease trade barriers or go back into the Single market but the Brexiteers would rather watch prices go up and trade barriers go up than let that happen.

1 hour ago, Cyclecar said:

Who would be to blame for destablising the EU?