Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

19 hours ago, altus said:

It's not "their seas" we are patrolling. There are territorial disputes in the South China Sea. (The name of the area doesn't imply the whole area is Chinese any more than the name "Irish Sea" implies the whole area part of Ireland.) China have been trying to bolster their claims to the disputed areas by various measures including building oil rigs and artificial islands with air bases.

The patrolling by US, UK and French navies (amongst others) are freedom of navigation operations aimed at keeping sea areas open to all shipping and not be restricted by one nation.

OK. Useful information. Let's hope it doesn'yt lead to conflict.

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Here's M&S chief, Sir Archie Norman's view & its difficult not to agree with his assessment of the "Fandango of bureaucracy" with products requiring 720 pages of documentation, particularly as he states that the UK has HIGHER food standards than required by the EU & nothing has changed in those standards since we left the EU.

Ex Tory MP and founder of the right-wing lobby group, Policy Exchange... complains that the EU won't give the UK special treatment over other third countries SHOCKER! :roll:

Given Archie's statements, that really is difficult not to agree with!

"Since Article 16 of the protocol will inevitably be mentioned I would point out that by treaty this is both limited and open to retaliatory measures. As I keep saying, nice car plant you have there Nissan, be a shame if anyone were to impose tariffs on it."

20 minutes ago, altus said:

You still don't get it and apparently neither does the M&S bloke.

He's basically spitting the dummy... nice soundbite, but not based in reality.

1 hour ago, Frans2755 said:

Yes  it is a very nice gesture of the Norwegian people. Why would I want to send you any chocolates, what was your personnal price you paid in the war. Or is it your way to getting some free goodies to go with your nearly out of date sausages.

I agree that we should still show our repect to the allied soldiers. My little contribution has been from 1992 to 2005 to recover 164 Britisch and commonwealth soldiers , French soldiers and German soldiers from the Boezinge battlefield. Which is north of the town of Ieper.

The area has now become the industrial estate but before the building started we spent over a period of 13 years recovering these men for a decent burial. Al this was done with volunteers and government help.

Every day I drive down to my village and  pas Mendingham Military Cemetary where more 2000 British soldiers lie. When I drove down a little while ago i thought what they would think of a person like you.

And then last but certainly not least we pay our resect at Le Paradis. This place really brought home some terrible truths about the war.

It is a five minute drive into France a small farm where the massacre occurred on the 28th of may. The dunkerque retreat. I think it was 72 soldiers of the Norfolk regiment surrenderred and ech single one of them was murderred. The regiment responsable was the SS

Totenkoph .

You are going to think now what has the war to do with all of this.

Actually everything.

In 1944 the Benelux was formed and is active today.  Belgium, The freed part of the Netherlands and luxemburg formed a common market.  It is very succesfull, with a total population of 29 million it has a GDP¨of 75% of the UK.

Then after the war Winston Churchull came to Den Haag and came up with the brilliant idea that instead of kicking the **** out of each other we should trade with each other. Not many years after the eec was born with the orriginal six countries. France, Italy, West Germany and the Benelux countries. The  EU is a trade project and very much a peace prroject

Now you obviously think Brexit is your saviour and the road to a new global britain, and  we are the stupid interfering foreigners .

I respect your  vote and you will have to live with it.

A superb reply.

Westie? Westie? You need some ointment for that burn?

Edited by Bargepole23

4 hours ago, West 77 said:

I agree it was a good reply.  Frans2755 is a good contributor but perhaps a little too polite.  The EEC and EU have been successful in preventing Europe's two biggest trouble makers France and Germany from starting more wars. However, when the EEC/EU changed from being an organisation to help its members trade with each other to a political union then it was time for the UK to leave. Frans2755 has missed an opportunity because I would have sent them some premium English pork sausages as a big thank you for the Belgium chocolates. 

And the UK is busy tearing up the rules that allow trade with its biggest trading partner......................

@Longcol that's rhetoric but it's not a true statement even in the most careless analysis.  Since your post refers to a specific passage by @West 77 it's worth us all  remembering that Brexit wouldn't have happened if the EU was an international trade group and not a political union. 

54 minutes ago, Tony said:

@Longcol that's rhetoric but it's not a true statement even in the most careless analysis.  Since your post refers to a specific passage by @West 77 it's worth us all  remembering that Brexit wouldn't have happened if the EU was an international trade group and not a political union. 

There is no certainty that Brexit would not have happened when you look at the range of untruths and xenophobic arguments employed by those who wished it to be in the name of Sovereignty.

This is what swayed the result

20 minutes ago, RJRB said:

There is no certainty that Brexit would not have happened when you look at the range of untruths and xenophobic arguments employed by those who wished it to be in the name of Sovereignty.

Indeed, if the political union had never happened (despite the direction being clear in 1975), it would have been something else. :rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, RJRB said:

This is what swayed the result

Almost every complaint aimed at the EU is as a result of legislation that, most likely, would have needed to happen even if it had remained as a trade group.

Many would take issue with your presumptions of given and received xenophobia, but the important key point you raise there is about Sovereignty. You seem to intimate that Sovereignty is a problem but could you clarify what you mean in relation to my point that "Brexit wouldn't have happened if the EU was an international trade group and not a political union."? 

17 minutes ago, Tony said:

"Brexit wouldn't have happened if the EU was an international trade group and not a political union."

Of what relevance is this to the thread's topic? The EU including it's forbears under other names has not been anything close to simply "an international trade group" for decades.

By gum, @Carbuncleyou're probably the first person who wants to stick strictly to the thread title. We'll have to remember that when somebody mentions buses. ;) 

Okay then, the consequences of Brexit. 

Australian submarines and the geopolitical shift of power and trade away from the EU to the Asia Pacific region.

Go! 

44 minutes ago, Tony said:

By gum, @Carbuncleyou're probably the first person who wants to stick strictly to the thread title. We'll have to remember that when somebody mentions buses. ;) 

Okay then, the consequences of Brexit. 

Australian submarines and the geopolitical shift of power and trade away from the EU to the Asia Pacific region.

Go! 

Neither of those are consequences of brexit. The Australian submarines deal is a direct result of the increase in China's military power in the region. The geopolitical shift in trade to the Asia Pacific region has been happening for decades - since well before the current millennium, let alone brexit. The shift in trade also hasn't even been away from just Europe (including the UK). The significance of the UK's recent attempts to boost trade with the AP region isn't even a rounding error in the AP trade figures - it simply hasn't got far enough[1] or been going long enough to have an appreciable effect.

[1] We haven't joined the AP wide trade pact yet.