Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

38 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Despite all the negativity on this thread from the remainer losers things are very good in Britain since we left the EU. The asian/pacific area is the big  global growth area and the potential for further growth is massive which is why it makes sense for the big players to have security pacts.  Staying neutral regarding China may suit small countries like Belgium unlike Britain who are a major global power.  Staying neutral at the start of the second World War didn't prevent little Belgium being invaded by Germany.  Will just take the opportunity to remind you  Britain liberated Belgium in 1944.

I am glad to hear Brexit is going well, the facts and figures point into a different direction. And it also makes sense that you now have left the shackles of the EU you want to join another club to do the same on the otherside of the world. Time will tell if you are going to be succesfull. Good luck grab the new opportunities.

I will take your word that the UK is a global power and little Belgium does not have these aspirations to flex its muscles in the china sea.

When you write things down make sure like Mr. Farage you don't write down crap. 

Belgium was not neutral at the beginning of the second world war. Belgium in 1944 was liberated by Polish and Canadian troops as was my home country The Netherlands.. I don't see what it has to do with Brexit but it seems to fullfill your sense of superiority.

2 hours ago, altus said:

The reason for the security pact, China's growing influence in the region, would have happened regardless of whether we had left the EU or not. There has been lots of close cooperation between Aus, US and UK (e.g. five eyes), even when we were in the EU, so it's difficult to see what brexit could have had anything to do with it.

As an ardent Brexiteer, I have to agree with Altus.  It's little to do with Brexit.  If you look back at the original contract, the French actually beat a number of other nations to the contract, including the Germans.  As far as I can see, the UK  didn't even bid at the time.  I think its because the Australians were after diesel / electric subs?

It will however be a massive bonus for a number of UK industry sectors & our economy.  

(Maybe the Australians, when they saw the sub's plan, didn't like the fact that next to the button that fires the torpedos was another button with the instructions, 'In case of emergency, press the Capitulation' button'.) - 😁

49 minutes ago, Frans2755 said:

I am glad to hear Brexit is going well, the facts and figures point into a different direction. And it also makes sense that you now have left the shackles of the EU you want to join another club to do the same on the otherside of the world. Time will tell if you are going to be succesfull. Good luck grab the new opportunities.

I will take your word that the UK is a global power and little Belgium does not have these aspirations to flex its muscles in the china sea.

When you write things down make sure like Mr. Farage you don't write down crap. 

Belgium was not neutral at the beginning of the second world war. Belgium in 1944 was liberated by Polish and Canadian troops as was my home country The Netherlands.. I don't see what it has to do with Brexit but it seems to fullfill your sense of superiority.

And if you believe Westy, us Brits have a great deal to feel superior about. Such as:

Germany's Culture Minister is a trained art historian,

France's Culture Minister wrote a book on Verdi,

The new UK Culture Secretary ... ate an Ostrich anus on I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here.

Edited by Mister M

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

It will however be a massive bonus for a number of UK industry sectors & our economy.

Might be, not will be. They've got to beat the Americans to the contracts first. Also, despite what several politicians have implied, the subs will be built in Australian shipyards, not Barrow-in-Furness.

18 hours ago, makapaka said:

Crookes co op. They had signs up apologising to customers. 

I’ve no interest in making things up so believe me if you want - I’m not bothered. 

Thanks. As it happened, not long after we'd both posted I saw the photos of the very bare but not completely empty shelves and the explanation from the store management.

242093865_10159859676753881_608785726297

They did indeed have a temporary delivery problem which seems to be an admin issue. We both know a much as each other now. 

We Co-op Crookes team are sincerely sorry to all our lovely customers for the problems we're facing and be assured we're working hard to try and fix...We're hoping it's merely a blip as our delivery process has been updated and will hopefully soon be back on track which will allow us to get the store running as normal. If you'd like to drop a comment click > https://www.coop.co.uk/contact-us/comments-about-a-store
Alternatively our customer service team on 0800 068 6727.
Our Store specific number is 8581 or our address can be used 196-198 Crookes.
We at store level are just as upset and frustrated as our customers as not being allowed to function at our usual levels isn't something we aim for.
Regards Crookes Co-op Team

Presumably the shelves were groaning with produce next door at Sainsburys or at the greengrocer across the road. It's hardly a Soviet situation.

16 hours ago, Frans2755 said:

The point is you left the eu and the customs union and you are now a third country. You can jump high and low but that is what you are. 

When you are not a member we protect our market.  I am sure your politicians told you of the consequences before you voted.

Perhaps you didn't get the thrust of my post so I'll have another go at being clearer. 

Imports from the EU to the UK are receiving few checks. This isn't a problem by all accounts. 

Exports from the UK to the EU are subject to onerous and excessive checks. This is an unnecessary problem. 

Trade is the same both ways in all day-to-day practical senses, but it appears that paperwork problems are being invented by one half of the equation. 

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

Perhaps you didn't get the thrust of my post so I'll have another go at being clearer. 

Imports from the EU to the UK are receiving few checks. This isn't a problem by all accounts. 

Exports from the UK to the EU are subject to onerous and excessive checks. This is an unnecessary problem. 

Trade is the same both ways in all day-to-day practical senses, but it appears that paperwork problems are being invented by one half of the equation. 

Yes I did get the thrust of your post.

The UK was offerred an extention of the period for the implimentation of the rules, which means loads of documents.

The UK government refused. 

The EU had their systems up and running so went ahead on the set date.

The implimentation has been defferred again until next year, that is not the EU fault.

22 minutes ago, Tony said:
19 hours ago, makapaka said:

Crookes co op. They had signs up apologising to customers. 

I’ve no interest in making things up so believe me if you want - I’m not bothered. 

Thanks. As it happened, not long after we'd both posted I saw the photos of the very bare but not completely empty shelves and the explanation from the store management.

242093865_10159859676753881_608785726297

Nice to see somebody apologise when they make a mistake. Good on you for not ducking the matter when you were proved wrong.

Edited by Carbuncle

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

What right do we have to patrol their seas? Just asking.

How would we like it if the Chinese turned up patrolling the Atlantic or North Sea?

Sounds quite an antagonistic move to me.

It's not "their seas" we are patrolling. There are territorial disputes in the South China Sea. (The name of the area doesn't imply the whole area is Chinese any more than the name "Irish Sea" implies the whole area part of Ireland.) China have been trying to bolster their claims to the disputed areas by various measures including building oil rigs and artificial islands with air bases.

The patrolling by US, UK and French navies (amongst others) are freedom of navigation operations aimed at keeping sea areas open to all shipping and not be restricted by one nation.

12 minutes ago, West 77 said:

There is no evidence to support any alleged shortage in one supermarket has anything to do with Brexit.  I've just been out shopping and there was no shortage of anything in the regular supermarket I use. In fact the supermarket was over stocked in fresh food and there was a cornucopia of big reductions for fresh food on offer as a consequence of the surplus of fresh food. What I'm looking forward tonight is some rather tasting looking premium pork sausages reduced from £3.15 to 0.79.  My freezer is getting nearly full from the bargains on offer.  After the supermarket trip I enjoyed a couple of pints of a guest ale (IPA) called Danish Dynamite priced at 1.99  (brewed in Wiltshire) in Wetherspoons which still isn't suffering any shortages. 

Cheers to the remainer losers  and a special three cheers for Brexit.

sauges.JPG.dea67e41a280e01b40e0c7ffe9f67ece.JPG

You are not on the ball, if you would have waited a day you could have fished them out of the container for free.

Guest makapaka
16 minutes ago, West 77 said:

There is no evidence to support any alleged shortage in one supermarket has anything to do with Brexit.

Except all the supermarkets saying it’s because of brexit.

@Carbuncle It's just a matter of facts really. I don't see anything wrong with productive discussions rather than entrenched shouting matches where everyone is bawling their biases at each other. It's quite tricky on a thread about Brexit - a topic where the most committed souls fail to engage their brain - but we could give it a go and see if we can eek out a bit of the old-style SF. :)  

@Frans2755 You didn't get the thrust of what I was saying but thanks for clarifying your point, it will make it easier for me to be clearer.

My point is that the "rules" in all practical sense are not working. This is underlined by the fact that the EU is implementing with considerable and disproportionate vigour and trade is suffering for both UK and EU businesses. At the same time, the UK isn't doing much at all and the sky hasn't fallen in yet and doesn't look like it ever will. 

We can only draw one conclusion; that the "rules" are inappropriate and should either be ignored in whole or part (as the UK is) or rewritten to suit the real world situation. 

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

And if you believe Westy, us Brits have a great deal to feel superior about. Such as:

Germany's Culture Minister is a trained art historian,

France's Culture Minister wrote a book on Verdi,

The new UK Culture Secretary ... ate an Ostrich anus on I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here.

🤣🤣 Very good M.