Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

20 minutes ago, RJRB said:

And I believe that he championed it to further his own political career rather than any conviction that the country would benefit.

He adopted the populist rubbish advanced by Farage and his own right wing colleagues.

This is true, he was never for Brexit until he believed it could be a way to achieve power given that the majority of politicians were against leaving. He obviously thought that just if the vote went to leave, he could be in with a chance. There is no way a Mayor of a city like London would want to rock the trading boat. 

9 hours ago, Shreddie said:

This is true, he was never for Brexit until he believed it could be a way to achieve power given that the majority of politicians were against leaving. He obviously thought that just if the vote went to leave, he could be in with a chance. There is no way a Mayor of a city like London would want to rock the trading boat. 

He wasn't even particularly bothered about wanting leave  to win the referendum - he was staking his claim as the next leader of the Tories.

One of the poorest regions in Europe, Cornwall had previously qualified for £100m funding from the EU to help provide both economic stimulus and support employment and infrastructure projects. They'll now receive just £3m from the Shared Prosperity Fund.

Cornwall to get just £3m replacement funding after leaving EU | Falmouth Packet

27 minutes ago, Mister M said:

One of the poorest regions in Europe, Cornwall had previously qualified for £100m funding from the EU to help provide both economic stimulus and support employment and infrastructure projects. They'll now receive just £3m from the Shared Prosperity Fund.

Oh well, they voted for it, they should just get over it.

It’s just another one of those bumps in the road as we bask in Sovereignty 🤔

3 hours ago, Mister M said:

Well in 2018 the UK handed over £15.5 billion. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/articles/theukcontributiontotheeubudget/2017-10-31

So the £100 million back was a great deal, wasn't it but I think you should be looking at the final bit of the sentences, "It has been claimed.... it could have been eligible for ."   So no GUARANTEE then but you really, REALLY want it to be true without any actual evidence that Cornwall WOULD have received the monies.  Poor journalism, no sources confirming the truth of the statement. 

Now let's deal fact.  Over the years the UK has sent tens of billions every year to the EU which has gone to fund anti-smoking campaigns while at the same time it was  subsidising Greek farmers to grow tobacco; funding Tenerife (Spanish) farmers to grow bananas; then paying them to destroy a large proportion of the crop in order that the price of the crop didn't fall through the floor, thus denying EU customers of cheap & healthy produce. 

Or the classic one.  Paid around €3 million, (remember, that it's some part of YOUR UK tax) to install a lift to nowhere on  Sicily, without checking who the money ultimately ended up with (Mafia). 

All this, & yet my magic bean application, was never rubber stamped!

But you don't have to take this from me as a triumphant Brexiteer.  Take it from arch Remainer, Guardian correspondent, environmental activist & campaigner George Monbiot on his views from a few years ago on his opinion of the €50 billion, (£44 billion), a year wasted on the EU agricultural policy:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/10/brexit-leaving-eu-farming-agriculture   

"Spends money in in places unsuitable for farming, to produce the empty ground that qualifies for public money." 

Well who would have guessed that, eh?  The EU wasting money. 

On too of that let's not forget the once monthly de-camp for a week for decades of  the whole EU from Brussels to Strasbourg, (don't preach to me about environmental ISSUES, EU), with hundreds of trucks carrying the admin, only to carry the whole lot back, 7 days later.  Could you imagine the outcry in this country if we did the same every 4th week & moved Parliament ffrom London to Birmingham along similar lines?  What a waste of YOUR money while we were in. 

Remember, thanks to the likes of me, your money is no longer wasted on such policies.  You say Cornwall is only getting £3 million rather than £100 million, (I'll not ask for the source, others might?) but at least it's now UK taxpayer money & if ultimately its not enough, the local Mp's can argue for more & ultimately the Govt can easily be replaced for not supporting the request in 4 years time. 

It's not as though the UK taxpayer is still contributing £15+billion a year & Cornwall has to compete for the money against the poorer regions of the EU to get a bit of cash back. 

Edited by Baron99

9 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Remember, thanks to the likes of me, your money is no longer wasted on such policies.  You say Cornwall is only getting £3 million rather than £100 million, (I'll not ask for the source, others might?) but at least it's now UK taxpayer money & if ultimately its not enough, the local Mp's can argue for more & ultimately the Govt can easily be replaced for not supporting the request in 4 years time.

I'm sure the good folk of Cornwall will remember you in their thoughts and prayers.

10 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Well in 2018 the UK handed over £15.5 billion. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/articles/theukcontributiontotheeubudget/2017-10-31

So the £100 million back was a great deal, wasn't it but I think you should be looking at the final bit of the sentences, "It has been claimed.... it could have been eligible for ."   So no GUARANTEE then but you really, REALLY want it to be true without any actual evidence that Cornwall WOULD have received the monies.  Poor journalism, no sources confirming the truth of the statement. 

Now let's deal fact.  Over the years the UK has sent tens of billions every year to the EU which has gone to fund anti-smoking campaigns while at the same time it was  subsidising Greek farmers to grow tobacco; funding Tenerife (Spanish) farmers to grow bananas; then paying them to destroy a large proportion of the crop in order that the price of the crop didn't fall through the floor, thus denying EU customers of cheap & healthy produce. 

Or the classic one.  Paid around €3 million, (remember, that it's some part of YOUR UK tax) to install a lift to nowhere on  Sicily, without checking who the money ultimately ended up with (Mafia). 

All this, & yet my magic bean application, was never rubber stamped!

But you don't have to take this from me as a triumphant Brexiteer.  Take it from arch Remainer, Guardian correspondent, environmental activist & campaigner George Monbiot on his views from a few years ago on his opinion of the €50 billion, (£44 billion), a year wasted on the EU agricultural policy:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/10/brexit-leaving-eu-farming-agriculture   

"Spends money in in places unsuitable for farming, to produce the empty ground that qualifies for public money." 

Well who would have guessed that, eh?  The EU wasting money. 

On too of that let's not forget the once monthly de-camp for a week for decades of  the whole EU from Brussels to Strasbourg, (don't preach to me about environmental ISSUES, EU), with hundreds of trucks carrying the admin, only to carry the whole lot back, 7 days later.  Could you imagine the outcry in this country if we did the same every 4th week & moved Parliament ffrom London to Birmingham along similar lines?  What a waste of YOUR money while we were in. 

It's not as though the UK taxpayer is still contributing £15+billion a year & Cornwall has to compete for the money against the poorer regions of the EU to get a bit of cash back. 

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/exactly-what-eu-funded-cornwall-2697596

Cornwall did rather well. With all this money we're saving surely they're worth more than £3m. 

But with EU money they didn't need to compete. It was worked out how poor they were and they got money to all sorts of cool things shown on the link above.  

10 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Remember, thanks to the likes of me, your money is no longer wasted on such policies.

No, now it's wasted on removing the rights of UK citizens, reducing the UK's worldwide influence & standing, jeopardising the union itself, significantly reducing our exports to some of our biggest trading partners, and wasting orders of magnitude more on replicating a multitude of institutions... for no tangible benefit whatsoever!

Congratulations, you stopped the UK contributing a small portion of a relatively small amount of wastage, by creating orders of magnitude more wastage! :?

So yeah... thanks! 🤦‍♂️

You say Cornwall is only getting £3 million rather than £100 million, (I'll not ask for the source, others might?) but at least it's now UK taxpayer money & if ultimately its not enough, the local Mp's can argue for more & ultimately the Govt can easily be replaced for not supporting the request in 4 years time.

...with another government who still can't support the request, because that money no longer exists... it has been wasted! :?

Edited by Magilla

I was surprised by a friends comments about the tennis win by Emma Raducanu, he said it was great, but she is not really British.

He knew nothing about her, aside from her skin colour and not being born in the UK.

We’re starting to move into the realm of “consequence of consequences”, I think.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-takes-further-action-to-tackle-hgv-driver-shortage

Due to the HGV driver shortage, the government have announced a number of changes in the testing system to help free up testers numbers and get HGV drivers licenced, variously including:

• Car drivers now do not need to pass a test to drive a car plus a trailer
  • Drivers will only need to take 1 test to drive both a rigid and articulated lorry, rather than having to take 2 separate tests (spaced 3 weeks apart)
  • HGV tests will be made shorter, with the reversing exercise element removed and the uncoupling and recoupling exercise for trailer tests removed - apparently these will be tested separately by a third party
  • HGV drivers will no longer have to get a licence for a smaller vehicle before seeking a HGV licence
  • (…)

Happy motoring, peeps 😉

21 minutes ago, L00b said:

We’re starting to move into the realm of “consequence of consequences”, I think.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-takes-further-action-to-tackle-hgv-driver-shortage

Due to the HGV driver shortage, the government have announced a number of changes in the testing system to help free up testers numbers and get HGV drivers licenced, variously including:

• Car drivers now do not need to pass a test to drive a car plus a trailer
  • Drivers will only need to take 1 test to drive both a rigid and articulated lorry, rather than having to take 2 separate tests (spaced 3 weeks apart)
  • HGV tests will be made shorter, with the reversing exercise element removed and the uncoupling and recoupling exercise for trailer tests removed - apparently these will be tested separately by a third party
  • HGV drivers will no longer have to get a licence for a smaller vehicle before seeking a HGV licence
  • (…)

Happy motoring, peeps 😉

Going to be a lot more of this sort of thing, methinks:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-58474392