Consequences Of Brexit [Part 9] Read First Post Before Posting

4 hours ago, L00b said:

“will”? They just have, that was the link.

Same cause-and-effect (Brexit-and-consequence) situation, as the government’s recent relaxing of health & safety-based rules for HGV drivers.

There are plenty more instances like this, that are boring/less newsworthy (this one is the pointy end of the tiny surfaced bit of the ‘Brexit & chemicals’ iceberg), and still more yet-to-come, as consequences keep arising, rippling and compounding in all sorts of ways, predicted and not.

Ministers bowed to pressure to drop key climate commitments for UK trade deal with Australia:

https://news.sky.com/story/exclusive-ministers-bowed-to-pressure-to-drop-key-climate-commitments-for-uk-trade-deal-with-australia-12401988

2 hours ago, Magilla said:

Ministers bowed to pressure to drop key climate commitments for UK trade deal with Australia:

https://news.sky.com/story/exclusive-ministers-bowed-to-pressure-to-drop-key-climate-commitments-for-uk-trade-deal-with-australia-12401988

err . . . that's what the Brexiters meant by Taking Back Control, isn't it ?

They promised we'd make  our own trade deals, and if Australia sets itself on fire again, that's a double bonus as far as I'm concerned

The true fallout from Brexit will not be known for years to come as it will be at least a decade before it is actually 'done.'

Depends if you consider these two articles related:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/oct/25/costa-coffee-owner-whitbread-wages-need-rise-brexit-shrinks-worker-pool

"We are a company that grows new jobs by 3,000 every year so having a good labour pool to fill those jobs remains important to us. If the pool is smaller the price of that talent pool goes up. I suspect the whole of the wage bill will go up in the UK if the labour pool is restricted."

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/09/costa-coffee-gives-staff-5-pay-rise-as-it-looks-to-recruit-2000-workers

"Costa Coffee is increasing pay for its 14,500 shop workers by 5%, as it looks for 2,000 more staff before Christmas."

I'd say that's a benefit to the staff at Costa.

Wage rises will go hand in hand with higher product prices.

Pay the truck drivers more, prices in the shops rise to compensate.

Pay the Costa employees more, the prices rise to compensate.

Not that I'm saying these people don't deserve a pay rise, but it's never a free meal.

16 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58501527

Cheers Brexiteers! Another tangible benefit lost. Still, you must be have had time to start on the list of gains so fire away. Real, actual benefits only allowed.

Just leaves o2 now as the only major network not to do the same (although I suspect that will follow).

But it is very strange, it was pointed out this could happen and it was dismissed as "scaremongering" by the Leave camp.....

On 09/09/2021 at 11:42, Shreddie said:

The true fallout from Brexit will not be known for years to come as it will be at least a decade before it is actually 'done.'

Very true.  I came to live in  Sheffield in aug 1966 and  returned to the continent in 1978.  The country was in a very sorry state. When they joined the common market it took years before  you saw any improvements. I now live in Belgium and the EU is not topic of the day,  News on Brexit is sporadic. I think The EU has moved on and there better fish to fry, the UK wanted to leave and now they have left, end of story, enough time and energy was wasted.

The only trouble is that what has been carefully build up over the years can be distroyed overnight and you are back where you started.

UK on course to drop from Germany's top 10 trading partners:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58484454

UK exports to Germany drop 11%. German exports to the UK increase 2.6% :?

The UK has been in Germany's top 10 trading partners since 1950. But with Brexit-related hurdles taking a toll, it looks set to drop to the 11th spot by the end of 2021.

"More and more small and medium-sized companies are ceasing to trade [with the UK] because of these hurdles," said Michael Schmidt, president of the British Chamber of Commerce in Germany.

They "simply can't afford the extra burden of keeping up to date and complying with all the kicked-in customs rules, such as health certificates for cheese and other fresh products"

"For many small British firms, Brexit meant losing access to their most important export market, it's like shooting yourself in the foot. And this explains why German imports from Britain are in free fall now."

Gabriel Felbermayr, president of the Kiel-based Institute for the World Economy, said: "The UK's loss of importance in foreign trade is the logical consequence of Brexit. These are probably lasting effects."

Let's not forget it was Boris Johnson who championed leaving Europe with a host of lies and misinformation.

45 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Let's not forget it was Boris Johnson who championed leaving Europe with a host of lies and misinformation.

And I believe that he championed it to further his own political career rather than any conviction that the country would benefit.

He adopted the populist rubbish advanced by Farage and his own right wing colleagues.